It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Materialism vs Idealism

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: cooperton

Well yes they're often run by computers.
Free choice and locality in qm means not superdeterministic.

But you're the expert who knows

It is capable of changing light from behaving like a particle to behaving like a wave..

So lol, yeah you and gosseyn are obviously too smart for me

Apparently we are, unless you can show that you can comprehend the big picture before pointing to some detail that seem irregular in your eye.

So tell us, what is the fundamental substance in your view of things ? Is there more than one ?

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

So lol, yeah you and gosseyn are obviously too smart for me

Lol no you're just being obtuse. It's what the experiment shows, the variable of light behaving like a particle or wave in the experiment is whether or not the slit is being measured to determine where the photon goes. You'd have to overthink it not to conclude the obvious

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

The fundamental substance is information.
Obviously.

a reply to: cooperton

It was sarcastic, because you two are subpar in you reading and general comprehension.
edit on 20-5-2021 by Peeple because: add

You should come with a warning sign: powered by bias and ignorance

edit on 20-5-2021 by Peeple because: added joke

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

So how can your information substance become consciousness, or experience ? Is your information substance quantifiable ? If yes how do you go from the quantifiable to the unquantifiable of experience ?

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 05:25 PM
link   

edit on 20-5-2021 by Peeple because: No. Just No

edit on 20-5-2021 by Peeple because: I had a link with book and everything, but if you were interested you could find it yourself.

edit on 20-5-2021 by Peeple because: I mean if I'd want to make you a reading list, we'd have to start with a dictionary, right? where you can look up the difference between mind, perception and experience

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 05:42 PM
link   
You seem to think so highly of yourself. The fact that you to need to use insults against me and cooperton speaks volumes about your insecurities.

So, did you write that book ? Because I seem to recall you said your thoughts are yours alone or some ridiculous sentence like that.

So you don't really know the contents of the book ? You should be able to summarize it in one sentence. I can summarize materialism or idealism in one sentence.

edit : So you removed the link ? Here it is link.springer.com...
edit on 20-5-2021 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Ha lol yes because "everything is mind" is not very complicated. Especially without definition of what you mean with "mind"
It just is the thing...lol, sorry not sorry that's just dumb.

I tried to convey how it works, you completely ignored it. So why would I bother?

Good for you. Not that you'll understand it, but...

edit on 20-5-2021 by Peeple because: add

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 05:57 PM
link   
You're such a drama queen.

Yes, everything is consciousness/mind/experience/awareness. The fact that you want to see a difference between these terms is your problem. Instead of seeing the bigger picture, you waste your time and mine on little details that mean nothing.

So, again, idealism postulates a universal mind because the one thing we can be 100% sure about, is the existence of mind. Therefore a universal mind is just the extrapolation of a fundamental category we already know. We don't need to postulate the existence of a second fundamental category called matter which would also lead to what is called the interaction problem.

So how can your information substance become consciousness, or experience ? Is your information substance quantifiable ? If yes how do you go from the quantifiable to the unquantifiable of experience ?

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Because there is a difference.
Alone the definition of mind should give you a clue

the element of a person that enables them to be aware of the world and their experiences, to think, and to feel; the faculty of consciousness and thought.

With consciousness I admit I am not happy with the dictionary definition because to me it's on one hand what seperates living 'things' from not living things, more importantly the capacity to perform a purposeful reaction to a stimuli.

Perception is the ability to detect such stimuli.
Awareness means you have an interpretation suited to your purpose of your perception.

If you say 'universal mind' I hear you say the universe is a person with perception, awareness and consciousness. That freaks me out a little.
If you then continue as main argument, because the only thing we can know with any certainty is our mind, I'm just losing it, to be honest.

We both agree how flawed our perception is, I hope? There are frogs who can see single photons. We can't. Because from stimuli to mind there are at least two layers in between, you maybe aren't experiencing that directly, but we know they're there.
Perception of the eye, forming electromagnetic waves into images and the awareness' interpretation telling me there's an obstacle a few feet ahead.

Two layers of distortion if you will, which only make sense for us biological entities having to deal with a physical world for the sake of survival.
What use would the universe have for them?

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join