It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are phones contributing to people falling for hoaxes?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Over the last few years I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have fallen for hoaxes that seem to be ridiculous. And I don't just mean hoaxes that sound crazy or which don't make sense, but rater hoaxes that are based around videos that are glaringly obvious fakes, or pictures that are clearly being misattributed.

For example, videos of Hilary Clinton supposedly coughing up green slime that look like something out of a high school AV class and wouldn't even pass muster on a low budget made for television horror movie. Or pictures that are supposed to show soldiers lining the streets of one country when the road signs are clearly written in the language of another country.

Or simply videos that are supposed to show UFOs but it's clear that they are composite images or are CGI.

I mostly browse on a desktop PC with an HD screen, and these fakes stand out a mile to me. You can practically see the strings or the Photoshop brush marks.

But if you're browsing on a small phone screen, they look much more convincing, and you might not be able to tell (for example) that a picture that's supposed to show BLM activists taking babies into a planned parenthood office so that they can be smuggled to George Soros' base in the inner Earth is was actually taken in Canada, not the US, because you can't see that all of the cars have "honk if you love hokey" bumper stickers on them.

What does everybody else think?

Could a rise in people falling for obvious hoaxes be due to so many people browsing the internet on small phone screens, which make it more difficult for them to tell that the pictures are fakes or that something was done with CGI?

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Doubt it. People used to fall for the national enquirer and # with its terrible pre-Photoshop photoshopped pictures. and.never bothered to question. People watch searching for Bigfoot and ancient aliens and # on HD.TVs and still believe it.
edit on 10/5/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I don't think it's phones as much as social media
Critical thinking is a rare thing today and people just accept everything they see.

Reporting with an agenda is a huge part too.

If a politician walks on water a news agencies will report either...
Xxxx is the messiah!
Or
Xxxx can't swim!

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Not sure what video you watched but hillary for sure coughed up and spit that green goo into that glass of water.

Look at the video again she doesn't take a drink she spits into the glass.

The others I agree with you on.

Side note it wasnt goo she spit it was the nastiest loogie in the world.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   
People are falling for pretty much any hoax reported on liberal social media and liberal USA media. There's zero critical thinking, zero fact checking effort, and zero accountability by said media who will run a false story for weeks and then publish a small retraction that nobody reads.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I don’t think so. I think that a lot of people don’t care if what they’re talking about is a lie as long as it gives them something to talk about and makes them feel validated.

Remember the thread about Biden rationing meat? That was a completely made up lie, yet there’s a giant thread filled with angry people who don’t even attempt to question the story. As long as they’re being entertained and outraged, they don’t care if what they’re being told is a lie.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Like back in the good old days when people were claiming that digital artifacting in a video was actually reptilian shape shifters reverting back to their original form?

I think that there are a lot of people who will suspend their own disbelief of an unbelievable video or fact if it supports their own personal narrative, this has only gotten worse with all of the hyper-polarization of modern politics, it's like crack for the left/right crowd.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Themaskedbeast

Not sure what video you watched but hillary for sure coughed up and spit that green goo into that glass of water.

Look at the video again she doesn't take a drink she spits into the glass.

The others I agree with you on.

Side note it wasnt goo she spit it was the nastiest loogie in the world.

That was some pretty basic CGI, when you hock something up into water it loses some of it's consistency. bits of it float or sink differently depending on currents in the water created by the glass moving.

Put simply, it would slosh around and break up.

That sucker sunk like a stone and stayed together. It has the consistency of movie slime in air, not something moving in liquid. Plus the color was far too vivid for something that came out of a human body. Unless she was gargling food dye that didn't come out of her mouth.

It was also higher resolution than the rest of the video. Which is a real telltale that something has been added in afterward. It's like having a crystal clear UFO against a grainy sky.

Somebody took a CGI blob and had it follow a path on a physics engine.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

Like back in the good old days when people were claiming that digital artifacting in a video was actually reptilian shape shifters reverting back to their original form?

I think that there are a lot of people who will suspend their own disbelief of an unbelievable video or fact if it supports their own personal narrative, this has only gotten worse with all of the hyper-polarization of modern politics, it's like crack for the left/right crowd.

Yes, like in the days when 480 was considered a good resolution for an online video. You would notice instantly on a modern 1080 video.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Years ago a friend showed me a video of a stunt plane making an incredible landing. In the video the plane loses a wing mid flight, it starts to smoke and spiral out of control. It continues it's chaotic decent, spiralling towards the ground until at the last second it rites itself and makes a perfect landing.

The video was clearly CGI. Not only was it a ridiculous feat, but it was obvious by the textures and movement that it wasn't real. He wouldn't believe me, he insisted it was real and I couldn't tell him other wise.

The guy isn't an idiot or anything, but it seems that some people just have trouble visually discerning reality from fantasy.
edit on 10-5-2021 by wheresthebody because: werdz

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I don't think it's phones as much as social media
Critical thinking is a rare thing today and people just accept everything they see.

Reporting with an agenda is a huge part too.

If a politician walks on water a news agencies will report either...
Xxxx is the messiah!
Or
Xxxx can't swim!

I agree, but I think it goes a little further than that. I think they believe anything that they want to believe.

They strip apart, dissect, and reject what is true, if it goes against what they chose to believe, and readily defend, manufacture, and excuse, any untruth, if it fits what they chose to believe.

Again, I believe most people that are dead set in their beliefs, to the point of insanity, are few, but the extremist on both sides are the ones making the loudest and most noise, so it seems their numbers are much larger than they are.

The majority are too busy trying to survive, they don't have the time or the stomach for rebutting the lies, especially since they also know it is an absolute waste of time.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I think the gullibility of some people is purely down to their own inbuilt gullibility not the technology they use , pinch to zoom is there for a reason.

Seems some people are born to fall for scams either through stupidity or greed , they are just part of the food chain and will be predated on regardless of the avenue used to get to them.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I disagree you ever had a really bad chest cold or maybe pneumonia? Those loogies are thick and they aren't gonna break up in water.

Hillary had a bad cold for a while and didnt want to swallow the nasty thing and spit in in the glass.

Why else would she put the glass to her lips and not tilt it back to drink the water?

Easy answer she spit into the glass in serious watch it again she doesnt take a drink she spits some green phlegm.

Or we can agree to disagree.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 12:13 PM
link   
A friend of mine almost fell for some kind of scam yesterday. She even went as far as buying the gift cards. I don't understand how people can sometimes be so gullible. Luckily for her, she realized it was a scam at the last second.
edit on 10 5 2021 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I'm not sure how fragile you have to be to deny this to protect Hillary. She was coughing, likely coughed up a lougie, and did the only polite thing available and spit it into the glass. Sure it's a bit yuk, but so would spitting it on the stage.

edit on 10-5-2021 by network dude because: Beto, what a stupid name.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   

OP,
Clearly your part of the problem as you described, you can’t differentiate hocking up a fat green lougie from a hoax. LOL

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 02:32 PM
link   
All I know is that my car warranty expired ages ago, so no, I don't need to speak to a representative.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 04:05 PM
link   
To put a little counter light on your premise. Remember Hogzilla. The photo of that giant hog that had every FBI/CIA photo expert coming out of the woodwork doing definitive expert analysis showing pixels and artifacts proving it was a hoaxed image.

Then National Geographic had the thing dug up and sure enough the whole story was real and the picture was real (Nevermind there have been bigger ones since killed).

But there sure were some highly credited "experts" tossing around their expertise.

Back to your OP, people who want to believe will believe whether it is a potato cam or HD. The smart people do some digging and make rational decisions regardless of what "experts" sometimes say. Then there is the third category that says whatever their friend Timmy on FB told them it is.

edit on 10-5-2021 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I'm sure some is. The Hillary one in general I had always been under the impression it was a cough drop she choked on for a second then spit it into the glass.

Whatever it was she definitely spit into the glass....she wasn't taking a sip. It was on live TV so unless MSM faked it in progress then not really sure what else to say....phones didn't do it and it wasn't CGI....I actually watched her live.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

After zooming in on it super zoom it is definitely a green cough drop.

Thanks for the video networkdude.
edit on 10-5-2021 by Themaskedbeast because: I forgot who loaded the video.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join