It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyber attack shuts down oil pipeline

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 08:18 AM
link   
A lot of people don't realize that bluetooth can be hacked, and a lot of industrial equipment comes with bluetooth functionality. Most places I've worked never use the bluetooth, so whenever I would see it I would turn it off. It's useless in my opinion, but some companies think it's a good idea for people to be able to use their cell phones to control equipment.

I haven't seen any reliable information about this hack other than it's ransomware, so that makes it seem it was some dummy who clicked an e-mail they shouldn't have, or possibly connected their cell phone to a computer like a dumbass.

IT definitely didn't do their job in setting up their network to prevent such a thing from happening.

Computers that are connected to critical equipment should be unable to be accessed by an open network. There should be a front end firewall, a VLAN/DMZ, and ideally completely and physically disconnected from every other network. I loved working at locations where I had to physically connect my toughbook to a piece of equipment.

It's nice to be able to connect remotely, but the vast majority of the time remote access was a pain in the ass and not set up correctly, and I found most of the time I could get through by getting around the security protocols which were almost always expired or bootlegged.

So, all that being said it doesn't surprise me much that they got hacked.

And being that the pipeline was built in the 60s I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they were using obsolete equipment and using Unix on some equipment or upgraded to Windows 95 and never since.

posted on May, 11 2021 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Don't be like these people

posted on May, 11 2021 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1
I’d like to see their toilet paper and paper towel stash.

posted on May, 11 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Probably still got a whole shelf full in their garages from last year.

posted on May, 25 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Shredder36

As in, an external group did it on purpose? What about this pipeline specifically?

posted on May, 25 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   
nvm

edit on 25-5-2021 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join