It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congo's Desperate 'One-Dollar U.N. Girls'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
media.washingtonpost.com...
"Yvette, 14, said she was paid $1 by U.N. peacekeepers to have sex. "I'm sad about it. But I needed the dollars," she said. "Who will feed me?" (Emily Wax -- The Washington Post)"

"Shunned Teens, Many Raped by Militiamen, Sell Sex to Peacekeepers

BUNIA, Congo -- She's known in the community as a "one-dollar U.N. girl." At night, she sleeps on the cracked pavement outside a storefront. In the mornings, she sashays through the dusty streets, clutching a frayed parasol against the blinding sun.

Yvette and her friends are also called kidogo usharatis, Swahili for small prostitutes. They loiter outside the camps of U.N. peacekeepers, hoping to sell their bodies for a mug of milk, a cold soda or -- best of all -- a single dollar."

www.washingtonpost.com...

How can anyone ask or demand the world "repsect" the UN when the very ones supposed to keep little girls safe from a corrupt government are the ones doing the evil?

[edit on 22-3-2005 by DrHoracid]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Those poor kids ... having sex for a can of soda.
And those b******* who are sent there by the U.N.
take full advantage. It's a sick, sick world ....

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Where is the "outcry" from Amnesty and other "defenders"? Where is the 'world" court at "The Hague"?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
How is this the UN's fault? Shouldn't it be the country who provided the soldiers, or even the soldiers? Do you want the blame to entire US for the actions of a few soldiers in Iraq who rape, torture, and murder? Why are you making excuses? That's the problem with the US, people never want to be held accountable, it's always someone else's fault. Let's hold people accountable for their actions, instead of making excuses!

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Dr. Horacid I wonder how many of the UN are taking the risk of sleeping with this girls knowing the AIDs epidemic ravaging the country.

Funny that, the humanitarian groups has been claiming the abuses in Africa for a long time, this is not new it has been going on for quite a while.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
the UN has been embroiled in this controversy (and many others) for a while. Bunch of corrupt individuals. They should dismantle the UN. It serves little purpose anymore.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Dr. Horacid I wonder how many of the UN are taking the risk of sleeping with this girls knowing the AIDs epidemic ravaging the country.

Funny that, the humanitarian groups has been claiming the abuses in Africa for a long time, this is not new it has been going on for quite a while.

With the AIDS issue so widespread in africa the "drive" of these animals is towards younger and younger "girls". At least that is one excuse, young virgins are raped to 'avoid" AIDS.

Again where is the outcry?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
How is this the UN's fault? Shouldn't it be the country who provided the soldiers, or even the soldiers? Do you want the blame to entire US for the actions of a few soldiers in Iraq who rape, torture, and murder? Why are you making excuses? That's the problem with the US, people never want to be held accountable, it's always someone else's fault. Let's hold people accountable for their actions, instead of making excuses!

Taking it one step further. It cannot be blamed on the UN, it cannot be blamed on the country from which the soldiers came from. It is the soldiers who are to blame, no-one else.

As you briefly mentioned, the US soldier who raped an underage Iraqi soldier and then shot him, the US marine that abducted a 13 year old British girl, does this mean the whole US army is corrupt, disgusting and evil and should be disbanded? Of course not.

I agree Horacid, these events are disturbing and disgusting, but blaming the UN as a whole just doesn't cut it.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4

Originally posted by curme

Taking it one step further. It cannot be blamed on the UN, it cannot be blamed on the country from which the soldiers came from. It is the soldiers who are to blame, no-one else.

As you briefly mentioned, the US soldier who raped an underage Iraqi soldier and then shot him, the US marine that abducted a 13 year old British girl, does this mean the whole US army is corrupt, disgusting and evil and should be disbanded? Of course not.

I agree Horacid, these events are disturbing and disgusting, but blaming the UN as a whole just doesn't cut it.

I agree in part with your post Kriz_4and curme.
The problem that I have with it is that, the comparison that you both are using. The one which is equating isolated events by US soldiers in Iraq which once identified, to their superiors and to the media, The US soldiers are beingf held accountable for their actions.
The problem that DrHoracid has posted is an issue that has been known to have been going on for months even years. To state that the UN Commanders in the region were ignorant of this practice is assigning them an even lower IQ than even I would give them.
These girls are in the camps, walking back and forth in front of the tents housing the soldiers. I am fairly certain that since the girls were allowed to do so, that the commanders were probably some of their customers.
Yes, I beleive that the soldiers need to be held accountable for their actions.So should the commanders as well as the UN (remember this is not the first time that this has been reported).
I also would like to see why there has been no steps taken to give these girls as well as the other families in the region the food and other necessitites that they need to survive

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

As if the US troops anywhere in the world behave better!

Btw, the picture in the first post has to be renamed ".jpg" to be viewed.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I think you can count on two things no matter where ANY soldiers are...

cheap prostitutes and cheap alcohol...

i don't hold this against the UN, because i am sure they don't know/dont care
just like any military leaders don't care about the status of the "everysoldier"
only on the big picture... and the big picture looks for good morale in the soldiers as a whole...

I would think this situation is happening outside every foreign military post anywhere in the world...

that doesn't mean its right....it just is...

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Dr.Horacid the girl in your example looks that lost her virginity a long time ago and keeps selling herself over and over "for a dollar I make you Holler" now, that tells how diseases are going rampant.

Yes I am aware of the raping of children but that was on another thread, yours is about prostitution.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Just typcal.

Africa has always been a land of EXPLOITATION!

White Man awalys came here to take and not to give.

White Man took the natural resources.

White Man took slaves and imported them to the New World.

White Man is selling weapons to the poor people of Africa instead of food.

Not to mention the Congo, a country suffering for so long, wanting peace for so long, and then when they get it, stuff like that happens.

ABUSE CRISIS: U.N. Fears Peacekeepers Commit Sex Abuse Worldwide

Who is to blame here?

The UN soldiers being far from home, wanting to satisfy their needs?

The young girl, without any job, money or hope, that has to sell her body for 1 dollar?

The United Nations that do NOTHING to prevent events such as this in Africa happen?

Big Bad Corporations that sell weapons to the poor people of Africa?

If you want to see more of exploatation of Africa check this documentary:

Darwin's Nightmare

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Can I point out the title is misleading and is only a half truth..
Can I also point out that the countries involved where....Morocco, South Africa, India, Nepal and Bangladesh so unless the UN has suddenly invaded and occupied these countries and actually created a new country called the UN then its impossible for these to be UN soldiers...they are Morocco, South Africa, India, Nepal and Bangladesh soldiers...under UN command..

Also are you calling the UN evil dear doctor...?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Can I point out the title is misleading and is only a half truth..
Can I also point out that the countries involved where....Morocco, South Africa, India, Nepal and Bangladesh so unless the UN has suddenly invaded and occupied these countries and actually created a new country called the UN then its impossible for these to be UN soldiers...they are Morocco, South Africa, India, Nepal and Bangladesh soldiers...under UN command..

Also are you calling the UN evil dear doctor...?

Maybe the Dr is saying that the UN is a bad idea because of that reason...

Even if the UN is not a country, it is obviously an institution.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by steggyD
Maybe the Dr is saying that the UN is a bad idea because of that reason...

Even if the UN is not a country, it is obviously an institution.

So you dont believe in these?

to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and

to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, and

to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law can be maintained, and

to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

Last time I checked there was never a world war since WW2...tell me has there been?
If so then it has been a sucess...

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Did you see the pics of the girls? A dollar might be to much!

Also makes me wonder, why is it illegal to sell it, but legal to give it away..oh well. This isnt anything new. Look at Vietnam. Same thing, much better looking women as well...

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020

Also makes me wonder, why is it illegal to sell it, but legal to give it away..oh well. This isnt anything new. Look at Vietnam. Same thing, much better looking women as well...

Okey, that was a bit much...
With respect but that just aint cool man...

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020

How old are you mister spliff4020?

Old 'nuff to have a child? Maybe a daughter?

Would you like to see her starving and selling her body for 1$?

Yes, I think every mother and father would like to see that.

Great comment.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I have to agree, spliff-boy needs a slap down for those comments.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join