It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Identifies A New Spider Species

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

originally posted by: panoz77
What the hell are those spiders down there that are the size of a dinner plate? Banana spiders? Yeah, these dudes. I don't mind snakes at all, but I hate spiders. Was down in Marco Island staying with a friends family and these dudes built webs from the gutters down to the bushes and would just sit in the middle, I saw some that were HUGE.

arachnoboards.com...

Orb Weavers..harmless, but ya, probably don't really want to walk through the web.

Nightmare fuel!!
I wouldn't worry about getting bit, but it would creep me the hell out!

Likewise. I respect them but they can stay away from my face.

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 07:48 PM
link   

What the hell are those spiders down there that are the size of a dinner plate? Banana spiders? Yeah, these dudes. I don't mind snakes at all, but I hate spiders. Was down in Marco Island staying with a friends family and these dudes built webs from the gutters down to the bushes and would just sit in the middle, I saw some that were HUGE.

arachnoboards.com...

Orb Weavers..harmless, but ya, probably don't really want to walk through the web.

Nightmare fuel!!
I wouldn't worry about getting bit, but it would creep me the hell out!

Likewise. I respect them but they can stay away from my face.

I respect them also, but I don't want them touching any part of me.

You should have seen me stripping and running at the same time, trying to get to the shower after finding myself in a spider ballooning. It looked like I was streaking, I just wanted to get those little monsters off me as soon as possible.

edit on 4-5-2021 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: ???

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Yikes!!!! That is the one thing I’m really scared of ... all spiders. That thing looks like a crustacean crosses with an ant crossed with a spider. Maybe it escaped from Wuhan lab?
I recently took a First Aid course and we had to identify some spiders. I was haunted for several months with the image of a large black widow in a tube EECk! I never realized they were so large.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

Imagine finding one while doing Spring cleaning.

A few year back, I found three under the table I had sitting on my front porch all winter. Took all the furniture off the porch to hose it all down, and to my horrific surprise, I found three nice size Black Widows. Guess who doesn't put her hands in, or under anything where she can't see.

Several years ago I decided to plant a miniature rose bush inside a dead stump. I felt a sting on top of my right foot to look down to see a Brown Recluse. I knew what to do so I quickly used peroxide and scraped away as much of the tissue as I could stand. I scrubbed the area raw of any dead tissue for over a week, until there was no more dying tissue, then I let it heal.

I don't even have a scar in the area. It is not for the faint of heart, and it can be very painful, but not as painful as losing a foot.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:43 AM
link   

My goodness, I will have to write that down somewhere. Glad you were able to heal that. May the healing light be always with you.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:47 AM
link   

arachnoboards.com...
I saw some of those nesting in some trees lining the driveway to Florida Hospital. I think the exterminators has then removed soon thereafter.
edit on 6-5-2021 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Did you help the baby bobcat?

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Did you help the baby bobcat?

I was in the middle of helping it when I had an epiphany, and realized that mother could not be "that" far away.

So I made a shelter with some dog blankets and towels, far enough away from the house to not scare off the mother, but close enough that I could keep an eye on the baby. Mother came back for it after about twenty minutes or so.

I washed the blankets and towels, and my dogs did not seem to notice anything different.

Bobcats are plentiful around her. Unfortunately the coyote have started visiting just a little too frequently. My dogs don't get excited about bobcat, but they do not like coyotes at all. I have four Siberian Huskies. They are very calm and friendly, but they go into DEFCON 1, when coyotes are about.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Assassin82
I don't know. It looks threatening. I feel threatened. Prolly oughta nuke it to be safe.

Here, this might help a little.

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 07:12 AM
link   

That thing can stay in South Florida, hopefully Northern Florida is too cold for it.

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I am getting used to Florida as I am defintiely not a native but I don't mind the eather at all. This is my first time being in Florida, like ever! I have seen normal looking spiders, some pretty colorful ones. I am not a spider lover at all, they disgust me but I have seen some pretty colors on them. I have seen some gorgeous butterflies too. Only a few spiders have entered my home and if they come into my space, they do not live. if they are outside I leave them alone, because we have a lot of bugs and i would prefer they be outside helping with the bug population. I do like the lizards and geckos that ruin around here, I would prefer the lizards than the spiders. LOL

We actually saw our first Alligator at a beach here. It was in a lagoon area, and we walked right by it. First time seeing an alligator that close up in the wild!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join