It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fallujah: From insurgent stronghold to 'safest city in Iraq'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It's peaceful because it's flattened, and most of the people are dead or gone.
I'm sure Hiroshima was a pretty quiet town on August 7, 1945 too.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
it says it came from the source of the report camp falluja, a marine gets killed in ramadi and they report to camp falluja and they tell the reporters.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
It's peaceful because it's flattened, and most of the people are dead or gone.
I'm sure Hiroshima was a pretty quiet town on August 7, 1945 too.

Right On xmotex!

They created a desert and called it peace.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
oh did all the citizens of falluja just got nuked? or is it dat all the insurgents just went somewhere else because they can't handle the marines into their territory.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Drop 300 tons of ordnance on Detroit, kill a few thousand of its' residents and you'd better believe they will be pacified.

I guess this is supposed to prove to the pro-war numbskulls that you can achieve peace by killing people, huh?

Not quite.

From the article referenced:

Piles of rubble still line the streets here, but a few shops have opened on the main drag, schools are finally in session and a compensation program to help families rebuild made some token initial payments this month.

Four months after the assault on Fallujah, in the center of Iraq's Sunni Muslim heartland, American forces working to rebuild the city say they're seeing some progress, albeit limited, in a city that's still blockaded and under a curfew....

... So far, only 40 families have received compensation payments, out of an estimated 25,000 who suffered damages. American officials say the program is being run by the local government, which is still in disarray.

"I think it's going very well," said Deputy Mayor Ali Hussein. "It will be better in the future. This is just the beginning. Maybe after two or three months everything will be okay."

Wow, book those vacations now.

j

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo

I guess this is supposed to prove to the pro-war numbskulls that you can achieve peace by killing people, huh?

Peace is not the 'absence" of war, it is the inability of the former enemy to make war. Seen any beheadings lately? I'd say Fallujah is a lot more peaceful.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Peace is not the 'absence" of war, it is the inability of the former enemy to make war. Seen any beheadings lately? I'd say Fallujah is a lot more peaceful.

So Peace is for you also absence of Life?

I dont think there is anyobdy ALIVE left in Fallujah, therefore its REALLY peacefull I agree.

US Army created a Ghost Town out of Fallujah.

Not "Safest city in Iraq" but "LIFELESS city in Iraq"!

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

There have been many beheadings since the Fallujah assault.
I guess you haven't been following the news about Iraq.

newsobserver (Mar 20, 2005)

And in the gloomy dissecting hall of Baghdad's central morgue, a doctor who examined the bakery victims laughs weakly to himself as still more bodies arrive at the crowded facility.

"The cases we are getting are unbelievable," Dr. Taha Qassim says. "Huge crimes, assassinations, beheadings. Why, only today I dissected three beheaded bodies. We will probably break the record for beheaded cadavers in any forensic department in the world."

suntimes (March 10, 2005)
Decapitated bodies of women have begun turning up in recent weeks, a note with the word ''collaborator'' usually pinned to their chests. Three women were gunned down Tuesday in one of Baghdad's Shiite neighborhoods for being alleged collaborators. And in the northern city of Kirkuk, a woman identified as Nawal Mohammed, who worked with U.S. forces, was killed in a drive-by shooting, police said.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

I dont think there is anyobdy ALIVE left in Fallujah, therefore its REALLY peacefull I agree.

deltaboy-check the news again Souljah. check the place also. be more careful when you say don't think anybody left alive, it can be very abstract.

sorry messed up on the quote thing.

[edit on 22-3-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'd say that Fallujah has a long way to go before it can be classified as "safe." Note the quotes around 'safest city in Iraq.' I think that is Knight Ridder being sarcastic...

American forces claim that Fallujah is now "the safest city in Iraq" - an assertion that's impossible to verify, though it's clear that the once-terrifying insurgency has been seriously crippled, mounting only small, scattered attacks in the city.

It is a stretch to say that just because bombings and beheadings no longer occur on a regular basis, you feel comfortable sending your grandparents there for the winter.

Other parts of the country are being attacked more heavily and in larger numbers. Perhaps the insurgents that used to haunt Fallujah have moved on to bleaker pastures....

Ambushed U.S. GIs Kill 26 Iraq Militants

BAGHDAD, Iraq - U.S. soldiers, ambushed by dozens of Iraqi militants near the infamous "Triangle of Death," responded by killing 26 guerrillas in the largest single insurgent death toll since last fall's battle for Fallujah, the U.S. military said Monday.

The high number of deaths in Sunday's daylight battle south of Baghdad was attributed to the large number of attackers, unusual in a country where most clashes are carried out by small bands of gunmen or suicide bombers.

"I was surprised at the numbers," said Staff Sgt. Timothy Nein, a squad leader for the 617th Military Police Company of Richmond, Ky., and a native of Henryville, Ind., involved in the firefight. "Usually we can usually expect seven to 10."

As the U.S. military reported that and other successes against the insurgency, attackers struck several times Monday, killing seven civilians and three Iraqi soldiers. A roadside bomb in Aziziyah, 35 miles southeast of Baghdad, killed four women and three children, police said.

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050322/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_050321210028

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
check the news again Souljah. check the place also. be more careful when you say don't think anybody left alive, it can be very abstract.

OK the Life is coming back to the city. But the city suffered a terrible loss and to begin again is really hard. Many Wrongs were commited here.
The level of destruction is terrible.

Chairman of the Committee for Compensation of the People of the City of al-Fallujah declared that the destruction inflicted on the city by the US aggression on it totaled 7,000 houses destroyed or partly destroyed in the various neighborhoods of the city.

He said that 8,400 shops, stores, factories, construction centers, construction equipment sales offices, and medical clinics were destroyed.

65 mosques were demolished – most of then entirely and wiped from the face of the earth, as he put it, some others suffered the loss of their minarets and the destruction of their sanctuaries.

59 primary, middle, and secondary schools, teaching institutes, technical and trade schools, and kindergartens were destroyed!

13 Iraqi government buildings were destroyed.

Two electric power stations were destroyed and the three water purification plants in the city were destroyed. Two train stations linking Iraq with neighboring countries were destroyed. Largely destroyed also was the network for the drainage of sewer and rain water.

One bridge was damaged to the point that it cannot now be used for crossing the Euphrates west of the city.

More than 100,000 domesticated animals were killed in the city as a result of the Americans’ use of poisoned gas and other chemical substances. These include sheep, cows, water buffalo, chickens and other fowl in the fields and pens around the city.

Several historical libraries were burned down that contained some of the most valuable books of Islamic sciences. There were four libraries each containing hundreds if not thousands of volumes, Dr. ad-Dulaymi said.

Relics of the ‘Abbasi period in the Middle Ages were destroyed in the area of as-Saqlawiyah north of the city. This was done in such a way that observers are lead to believe that the destruction was deliberate. These were totally demolished. On the site were the hills on which were the Palace of Abu al-‘Abbas as-Saffah.

I wont even start to mention the number of killed people here, since bodycounts are not welcome here.

When asked about Iraqi human losses among the civilians, ad-Dulaymi said, “That is a difficult question to answer because the number is very much open. This is particularly true after last week when the Iraqi Resistance resumed activity on a significant level in the city.”

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Prohecy of U2 in the 80`s:

In the howling wind comes a stinging rain
See it driving nails
Into the souls on the tree of pain
From the firefly,
A red orange glow
See the face of fear
Running scared in the valley below
Bullet the blue sky
Bullet the blue sky
Bullet the blue
Bullet the blue
...ah...ah...

In the locust wind comes a rattle and hum
Jacob wrestled the angel
And the angel was overcome
You plant a demon seed
You raise a flower of fire
See them burning crosses
See the flames higher and higher

Bullet the blue sky
Bullet the blue sky
Bullet the blue
...ah...
Bullet the blue
...ah...ah...ah...ah...ah...ah...

This guy comes up to me
His face red like a rose on a thorn bush
Like all the colors of a royal flush
And he's peeling off those dollar bills
Slappin' 'em down
One hundred, two hundred

And I can see those fighter planes
And I can see those fighter planes
Across the mud huts where the children sleep
Through the alleys of a quiet city street
You take the staircase to the first floor
You turn the key and slowly unlock the door
As a man breathes into a saxophone
And through the walls you hear the city groan
Outside it's America
Outside it's America

Across the field you see the sky ripped open
See the rain through a gaping wound
Pounding on the women and children
Who run...
Into the arms...

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
My son helped take Fallujah.

On the day of the election, his Major wrote that the first person that came and voted at his location was a woman," She walk down the street as if she owned it. Maybe someday she will".

Roper
The proud dad of a US Marine Scout

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
"internation law "

The UN is lame, nation's should be under the control of their own governments and shoul dnot be dicated by the UN. aka NEW WORLD GOVERNMENT.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Souljah

I would like to see the source of your information on the losses in Fallujah, especially this:

More than 100,000 domesticated animals were killed in the city as a result of the Americans’ use of poisoned gas and other chemical substances. These include sheep, cows, water buffalo, chickens and other fowl in the fields and pens around the city.

As far as the structural damage, all I can say is that the terrorists that remained chose to shelter themselves in places like schools and hospitals.

Who is to say that damage to the relics was not caused by the terrorists themselves?

And as for civilian casualties, they chose to stay behind. They were given ample warning.

The city may be quiet today because of the assault, but the coalition and the Iraqis are not about to allow Fallujah to revert to the haven for terrorists that it once was.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
And as for civilian casualties, they chose to stay behind. They were given ample warning.

Don't get confused, you can't tell terrorist from civilians, its not like the wear a sign or even uniforms.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Don't get confused, you can't tell terrorist from civilians, its not like the wear a sign or even uniforms.

Yes, I realize that. Some civilians chose to stay behind, even after being warned that the assault would take place. Those that chose to stay, chose their own fate.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
"Chose to stay"? What exactly do you believe is the pre-assault decorem being followed....a door to door by Army Arab Linguists warning that we're about to bomb their crap to a lower form of crap?
So they should gladly accept refugee status, with no shelter or food guranteed for them & their kids because of intuition?

Lovely thread y'all got here Bu#es!

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
jsobecky:

Yes, I realize that. Some civilians chose to stay behind, even after being warned that the assault would take place. Those that chose to stay, chose their own fate.

Ah. Well said, I assume you are probably atheistic or something, since as far as I know there is absolutely no religion in the world that condones the killing of innocents. Even if you give them "ample warning".

It astounds me to hear things like this from people. If you're Christian, plan on going to hell for it. For real. Honor thy neighbor, remember? Everyone is your neighbor.

Dress for warmth in the afterlife, you'll need it.

Tell me, if you were threatened by a foreign army that your neighborhood would be bombed and that you should flee, would you automatically? Like a dog with its' tail between its' legs? What if you had, say, NOWHERE ELSE TO GO.

Did the US Army set up ANY temporary shelters to deal with Fallujah refugees? Nope. Did they aid in any way to relocate these people? Nope.
They figured since they gave some warning they could carpetbomb the city.

Hey, you figure that maybe some TERRORISTS left the city along with these civilians when they got warning? Hmm?

So let's just call it wholesale slaughter and leave it at that. Dresden Part II or something.

jako

[edit on 24-3-2005 by Jakomo]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

jsobecky:

Ah. Well said, I assume you are probably atheistic or something, since as far as I know there is absolutely no religion in the world that condones the killing of innocents. Even if you give them "ample warning".

jako

[edit on 24-3-2005 by Jakomo]

Never read the bible have you? Try the first three books there jakooooo.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join