It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most People Consider Themselves to Be Morally Superior

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Hi NightSkye, nice to see you

Thanks for the great response and examples!

I feel like this is a really hard topic to approach objectively. Well done!

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I wonder if that's how it comes across. I know when I debate passionately (act like a dick) I'm sure I'm right, and do my best to prove that to anyone who will listen. Trouble is, not too many care, so while I am king of all I can see, my view is limited.
(Yurtle the Turtle reference)-I don't think that one is raycist yet.

But at the end of the day, I know I'm no more important than anyone else.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I have noticed many people with such complexes in recent times. The Karen's and Kevin's, the no-no Nancy's, etc. I don't get why people have suddenly become so emboldened in embracing moral ignorance and typically use it, like you posted, in a superiority complex manner.

People need to get back to realizing every single person is different in some way, shape, or form. No two mindsets are exactly alike, and the way we have figured out how to make a societal structure work with such a hindrance is compromise. Nowadays, everything you see, read, and hear is the antithesis to compromise, it's actually the polar opposite on display, division and angst rule the day now.

I try to stay humble, voice my opinion where it's warranted, but also realize that my opinion is just that. An opinion. It might be right, it might be wrong, it might be somewhere in between, but it's simply an opinion. I don't care to actively push it on others, as I know they have there own opinions. That's where compromise comes in to play, and until people start actively doing that again, things won't get better.

edit on 2-5-2021 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

You're not the only one... I've acted the same way in passionate debates, lol... I think it's probably a lot more commonly done than admitted to.

I really like what you said in the last sentence, though, and feel the same way.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I remember a psych professor asking us to raise our hands if we think we are mentally ill.

No hands were raised.

Now raise hands if we think society is mentally ill.

All hands were raised.

Most of us live in a self-absorbed, self-gratifying little fishbowl called ego.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I really like everything you wrote here!

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:45 PM
link   

i try not to think of myself as being morally superior or inferior to anyone. Everyone is just a person trying to make their way in the world. i have my own morals i try to live by, i dislike when i see people doing things i consider immoral, I've done things i would consider immoral and dislike those things I've done. I've found my own morals have changed as I've gotten older and experienced life. There are definitely some things i feel strongly about, not hurting anyone unnecessarily, respecting people's free will where it doesn't infringe on others but the world is a large place full of many cultures customs and morals. My own morals are still growing and changing along with everyone elses.

i dunno anyway I'm rambling now.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
I’ll be the first to state that my opinions are simply that an opinion, nothing more, nothing less. With my age, my training, my education, and my experience, I can plainly see that everyone else is wrong, but that’s their problem.

So the OP wasn't wrong.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Depends the circumstances
Like on a website with crazy conspiracy theorists? Obviously morally superior
Also as a motorcycle rider, a better driver than all of you as well

In fact, the question is subjective and silly, if you have few morals then obviously you would have less to contend with
Most Christians by definition should be moral failures, because Jesus is supposed to make up their shortfalls. The idea of repentance is accepting failures and needing help, though most churches don’t teach that

Driving, nearly everyone thinks their in the top 10% of drivers, me, I note I am not as sharp as I once was on the road, maybe now in the 11% 😬

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Ha ha, what a perfect illustration of the topic at hand. I'm thankful for all the thoughtful/thought provoking comments. These articles (and the probable truth behind them) definitely gave me pause, and judging by the interesting comments so far, I'm not the only one!

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Great post, dug88!

originally posted by: dug88

i dunno anyway I'm rambling now.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I live within ten miles of Lake Superior. So, some call this Superiorland. I consider myself equal with others. If they lie and deceive others, if they are cons, they are making themselves inferior to those who are honest and truthful, people do it to themselves.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Great outlook/approach to others!

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 08:54 PM
link   
My entire family in Texas thinks they're morally superior to everyone that's not a Southern Baptist.

If you're a Catholic or a Presbyterian, you're cursed and condemned and not even worthy of consideration.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I'll bet those family gatherings are a hoot

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I don't like talking about myself cause most people can't talk about anything else.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: olaru12

I'll bet those family gatherings are a hoot

I wouldn't know. I left those people, that windblown panhandle to seek fortune and fame back during the Summer of Love and never looked back.

edit on 2-5-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I am all to aware of my own Immoralities , I do what I can to keep them in check and carry on with my life as life is to short to worry about the wrong I've done so I focus on what I can do to better myself and those around me.

I do not consider myself better than anyone ever , but I always reserve the right to not surround myself with certain people.
edit on 2-5-2021 by asabuvsobelow because: typo / grammar

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Morally superior to what?

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Morally superior to what?

Morally superior to House Cats of course .

Those little buggers will eat cat food untill they are full and then go out and kill a family of rabbits just for the sport.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join