It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just HAD To Say Something

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 01:44 AM
link   
An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

The best band ever, but that's neither here nor there. This song just needs a listening to.

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Ah yes Rush, great band!

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Everybody needs reverse polarity...

Saw Rush on the Subdivisions Tour they were fricking great. Nobody wanted the concert to end. Got so trashed on Southern Comfort it was all we could scrounge as 15 years old. So hungover the next day and we had school. But we had overnight snow unexpectedly and had snow on the ground on April 1st in Atlanta. I have never been so grateful for a snow day before or since, I went out and stuck my head in the snow to try and squash the headache.

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 04:15 AM
link   

You don't truly appreciate what you had until it's gone.

No, his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is

The best band ever ? , I can think of none better.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Great track, among so many other great Rush tracks.

From Grace Under Pressure.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

First time, 1984, P/G. I'd only heard that and Signals. Didn't know what the hell was a going on but damn, them Canadians are really good.

a reply to: gortex

I always appreciated them. They gave me endless hours of attempting to play their songs. Neil taught me critical thinking skills by giving me viewpoints I'd never thought of. I still kick myself sometimes as I should have known something was bad in the Peart camp after retirement. He stopped posting on his site around the time he was diagnosed. Ever the private dude who couldn't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend.

Do we have to forgiving at last?

I suppose. The deconstruction of the Eastern Bloc made some people happy; it made me mad. For generations those people had to line up for toilet paper, wear bad suits, drive nasty cars and drink bug spray to get high - and it was all a mistake? A heavy price to pay for somebody else's misguided ideology, it seems to me, and that waste of life must be the ultimate heresy.

The drum part in this song was inspired by a different part of the world. One hot night I lay under the stars on a rooftop in Togo, and heard the sound of drums from across the valley. Even on the edge of sleep the drumming moved me, the rhythm stayed in my head and while working on this song I used variations of it and other West African influences. Depending on your point of view that is either called cultural cross-pollination, or plundering the Third World...

a reply to: vonclod

Ah, seeing them bring that one out of the vaults really made my night. That was at Red Rocks, one of the most beautiful places in this country to see a show. Three hours of pure bliss.

Interesting this thread had some legs. I still think the opening line of my OP is one of the most brilliant lines I've ever heard in music. So damned profound.

My sis gave me a car recently. Woot! I had it for a few months and thought, self, I need to be a true Rush fan. So I got the Rush logo and the Starman decals. Then I realized, it wasn't complete without The Beatles and Deep Purple. And.....that wasn't enough. Needed Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd(cool one with the marching hammers), Yes with the Roger Dean logo, ELP and one newer band to show I'm not all a stodgy old fart, The Pretty Reckless.

That's all I'm doing. It's too much and now I'm that guy but frak it, I don't care.

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 12:05 AM
link   

edit on 4-5-2021 by Rikku because: ok i tried . i must be getting old. but im blamng ats. go f yourself ats.

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 12:13 AM
link   
A very odd version of 2112. It echoes weirdly all over the place and Big Al has some effects a going on but he really kills it. Been told to check out the soundboard of the Detroit show from this tour. I still can't figure out why they did 2112 so different on this tour.

posted on May, 9 2021 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Never heard that version of it. Thanks!
My Hubby used to play that song.

new topics

top topics

join