It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: China Honours "Flying Tigers"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
The "Flying Tigers" were a volunteer band of pilots sent by President Roosevelt to China in order to the fight the Japanese in World War II. This was before the United States had entered the war. The Tigers were led by Claire Lee Chennault and had around 100 pilots and 55 planes. In remembrance of World War II, China has erected a memorial to the Flying Tigers measuring 13 feet tall and 490 feet wide.

www.boston.com
BEIJING (AP) China has erected a memorial to the Flying Tigers, a band of U.S. fighter pilots who defended China against Japan during World War II, the government said Tuesday. Construction of the memorial was timed to mark the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II, Xinhua said. Local officials hope it can become a major tourist attraction.

The memorial, measuring 13 feet tall and 490 feet wide, features a sculpture of Chennault and scenes of the Tigers' victories and their cooperation with local Chinese, Xinhua said. The Flying Tigers had fewer than 100 pilots and 55 planes. They flew for only nine months, until U.S. forces arrived in China in May 1942 and absorbed the unit.

The Tigers have become a potent symbol of Chinese-U.S. unity, and communist authorities readily overlook the fact that they fought for the leftists' bitter enemies the Nationalists who ruled China in the 1930s and '40s.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I just thought this news was interesting considering how all the recent talk centered on how the world was going to end in World War III between China and the U.S. Yes, despite the fact that the tigers fought for the Nationalists and not the Communists, i doubt many Chinese would make that distinction.

General Chennault with General and Madam Chang Kai-shek;

A Original Flying Tiger Plane;

(Just a question, what on earth is 13 and 490 feet in meters?)

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
it's pretty tall, thats all you need to know
ok, j/k think this way, it's is somewhat 2 times taller than you and are well about 66 wider than how tall are you

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
this is a hapy piece of news.
i do find it intriquing because the tigers flew on behalf of the nationalist side. but the fact remains that they defended china against japanese agression. i had almost wondered if they had been compleatly forgotten since the comunists have held power for so long. i am heartened to hear that they are being honered i wonder if we can find a picture of the monument.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
3.9624 m by 149.352 m to be exact. Quite wide indeed.

[edit on 22-3-2005 by Kriz_4]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I can go take pictures of it. It's about a day and a half journey to the south. Will anyone finance my trip??

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
LOL!

C'mon man, travel in China is cheap. Do it for the good of ATS.

After all, where is your communal spirit?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I'll say that the train ride that takes me from 1pm to 7am the next morning a freebie for the ATS community. Paying for it and lodging in a city I don't live in hmmmm if there are any Western Unioners out there I'd be on my way...but for the good of the community, my pocketbook and wife don't agree hehe.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Maybe the US should make a memorial thanking all the foreign countries like Japan and China for buying bonds to help our debt

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Wish my grandfather were alive to see this, he was one of them.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Maybe the US should make a memorial thanking all the foreign countries like Japan and China for buying bonds to help our debt

Mabe they should do away with our debt because of all the blood we as a nation have shed to keep them free of opression.

new topics

top topics

join