It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing Indonesian Sub Found, Broken into Pieces

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   
They read the torpedo firing instructions wrong

1. Load torpedo
2. Open torpedo bay door
3. Fire torpedo

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATSAlex
They read the torpedo firing instructions wrong

1. Load torpedo
2. Open torpedo bay door
3. Fire torpedo

Are you thinking they did step 1 and skipped to step 3?

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Godzilla strikes again.

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

Thankfully they've been found, I know if I went down on a ship I would at least want my remains found even if they couldn't be retrieved.

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Damn, so it’s possible these men knew of their coming fate and could do nothing to fix it in time, that thought is terrifying.

If they were sinking to crush depth then yes they probably knew what was coming. Fortunately when they do implode, it happens so fast that they didn't have time to blink.

Most people believe that implosion is like crushing a can but it's more like everything inside is disintegrated instantly leaving the outer hull surprisingly intact.

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: mikell

They were doing a torpedo test at the time. We might have picked up a torpedo explosion if one of their own went off.

If they were testing a live torpedo, it may have gone off in the tube. Or it may have turned around and hit the sub. Odds are we will never know.

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Or it may have turned around and hit the sub.

That would be the bonehead move of bonehead moves, they'd have to get themselves into the killbox and not hit the disarm when/if realized where they were.

edit on 26-4-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

Thankfully they've been found, I know if I went down on a ship I would at least want my remains found even if they couldn't be retrieved.

Yeah at most a finger would be left. most of the body would had been pasted or vaporized by the pressure rushing in. 0.004 seconds for most subs. half of the time needed for a persons nerves to register pain.

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

They tried to dive into the Hollow Earth to escape Godzilla.

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
4. a low budget, 3rd hand submarine, behind on appropriate maintenence required for a vehicle repeatedly exposed to enormous pressures?

+1 a million things can go wrong on a machine like that. and I think I read they were carrying extra people to observe thus overloaded.

deep ocean is an incredibly hostile place.

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 07:39 PM
link   

So my personal theory’s include:

1. Attacked by another ship of some kind
2. Weapon system malfunction caused an explosion
3. Kaiju

Any ideas ATS?

I had no such involvement. I was sleeping in the mountains near Mt. Fuji. It may have been my brother though, the green one.

*12 1/2 stars for anyone who knows what I'm talking about.

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Y'all are missing the cultural aspect of this.

Of course they will come out and say there was "no human error", it's totally against their culture to say anything other than this! All of SE Asia is this way...to the point of ridiculousness and laughability!

Just look at MH 370. Malaysia and Indonesia NEVER admit something is their fault...NEVER!!!

I lived there for several years, and I've seen some of the stupidest stuff you can possibly imagine, and they will NEVER admit they were at fault...not EVER! No matter what!

They will wrap things in 750 layers of bureaucracy, and twist it 17,000 ways from Sunday, then obfuscate it with another 960 layer of bureaucracy, but they will NEVER admit guilt! NEVER!

ETA - It's called "saving face", and they just won't do anything else.
edit on 4/26/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2021 @ 09:12 PM
link   
There was more than likely no other boat, no attack; they probably cooked off a torpedo in the torpedo room (ala. Kursk) and had a bunch of water tight doors open to deal with the oppresive heat on the surface which hadn't dissipated yet. The sub then flooded, and they sank.

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
That is terrifying. What a tragedy.
From the other post it sounds ilke there wouldn't be any pain felt.. theres that at least.

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 01:49 AM
link   
A question for those with relevant knowledge:
Is it typical for a submarine to be found in the condition reported in this event (3 intact sections) as a result of only surpassing crush depth?
Or, does this imply a different cause?

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ChayOphan

It's pretty common when they go past crush depth. Thresher is in five large pieces. Scorpion lost her conning tower, and had sections of hull telescoped, and others essentially disintegrated, but the torpedo room only had an escape hatch popped open and is intact.

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ah, that makes sense - so there's numerous variables that can exist within one incident leading to different results, something as simple as a hatch position.
One thing that I'd bet is uniform throughout submarine service: those who serve therein are a unique breed regardless of nationality.

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 05:21 PM
link   

a reply to: BlueJacket

I could believe that

But would lack of maintenance cause a submarine to break completely into 3 pieces, fast enough that the crew couldn’t mayday?

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

But would lack of maintenance cause a submarine to break completely into 3 pieces, fast enough that the crew couldn’t mayday?

An electrical problem shutting down the boats systems and permitting it to fall below its crush depth would account for the lack of a mayday and the broken sections. See the U.S.S. Thresher for similarities.

This scenario sounds most plausible.
edit on 12-4-2022 by SeriouslyDeep because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join