It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Native American Dreamcatchers and Aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
After reading another thread on the ATS forums about Aliens invading/stealing dreams I just couldn't get the idea of this out of my head, something was just too familiar about it. And about 2am this morning it finally clicked. I'd remembered reading somewhere about the legend behind native american dreamcatchers. I managed to find something very similar on a site after a google search.

healing.about.com...

Newborns were given charms that were woven in the form of spider webs to protect their dreams so their innocence would not be harmed by the tricksters of the night.

Now, I'm not even going to pretend to be some kind of expert on native american culture, but after a quick google search I found alot of references to native americans and advanced alien cultures. And I'm sure alot of you know that they were keen astronomers and that they also 'drew' huge drawings in the ground that could only have been viewed from high above. There are also numerous other links between native americans and aliens but I haven't had chance to research this properly yet. There are a few links below that go into a bit more detail but I've not had a chance to check these sites out properly yet so I cannot judge the validty of their content.

www.marsearthconnection.com...

www.magicalblend.com... onspiracies/RedStar.html

Maybe these dreamcatchers were the native americans way of intercepting these 'dream hijackers'?

Opinions?

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creative_Seeker
After reading another thread on the ATS forums about Aliens invading/stealing dreams I just couldn't get the idea of this out of my head, something was just too familiar about it. And about 2am this morning it finally clicked. I'd remembered reading somewhere about the legend behind native american dreamcatchers. I managed to find something very similar on a site after a google search.

healing.about.com...

I just want to hold on to this thread, it is interresting, a subject one of my friends could use and well me too. Take Care keep getting useful thoughts.
WrenLittle
Newborns were given charms that were woven in the form of spider webs to protect their dreams so their innocence would not be harmed by the tricksters of the night.

Now, I'm not even going to pretend to be some kind of expert on native american culture, but after a quick google search I found alot of references to native americans and advanced alien cultures. And I'm sure alot of you know that they were keen astronomers and that they also 'drew' huge drawings in the ground that could only have been viewed from high above. There are also numerous other links between native americans and aliens but I haven't had chance to research this properly yet. There are a few links below that go into a bit more detail but I've not had a chance to check these sites out properly yet so I cannot judge the validty of their content.

www.marsearthconnection.com...

www.magicalblend.com... onspiracies/RedStar.html

Maybe these dreamcatchers were the native americans way of intercepting these 'dream hijackers'?

Opinions?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
So, you weave the dreamcatcher and just hang it? Are there prayers involved before, during, and after the crafting?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
As I said I'm no expert on this matter but I'll take a look into it, there could also be some symbolism in the materials the native americans used to construct these devices.

Dreamcatcher hoops were originally made out of willow and covered with sage, the web was made from deer sinew. The decoration of the web along with the shape, size and colors used is left to the artisan's imagination. Feathers attached to the dreamcatcher are meant to assist the flight of good dreams.

The Deer: Hunting prey animal, sacrificial and sometimes mentioned as "first helper" in a few emergence stories, also family protection and of course speed

Sukodawabuk, also known as sage, is used in much the same ways as Keezhik (cedar). it is burned as a purifier, but when compared to the "piney" scent of cedar, sage has a spice air. Shkodawabuk represents the Western direction. Sage is used by the original peoples to make their prayers, to signal the creator of one's need for help. There are many varieties of Sage and all are effective in smudging. Smudging is a way of using the smoke from burning herbs to cleanse the body, an object, or a given area of negative influences. Many Native Americans used varieties of sage for medicinal purposes as well as religious ceremonies. The burning of Sage in smudging ceremonies is to drive out evil spirits, negative thoughts and feelings, and to keep negative entities away. The root was used by the Ojibwa in three ways: as an anti-convulsive, on wounds to stop bleeding, and as a stimulant. The Potawatomi burned the plant to smudge and also used it as poultice on long-standing sores.

Edit: Added a little bit on dreamcatcher materials and a small amount on the symbolism of the deer sinew (emphasis on the family protection)

2nd Edit: Added a litle bit on sage.

[edit on 25/3/05 by Creative_Seeker]

[edit on 25/3/05 by Creative_Seeker]

new topics

top topics

join