It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a person have too many tools?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   
First off, full disclosure...I am a tool nut. Tools are like guns, you can never have too many. At least that's my opinion. Needless to say, I have quite a few tools. (all the guns were lost in a terrible boating accident) My wife is constantly telling me, "We just don't need any more tools!" But we inevitably do, and I am always delighted to go get another one for whatever purpose.

Now, just to be clear, I have tools from two entire construction companies, a mechanics shop and whole bunch of electronics stuff. It's a lot. The last batch I inherited, and it took an entire semi tractor trailer to haul it all (I don't ever want to move again!!).

Anyway, my point here is not about the tools I currently own, but about someone else. If you ever thought, even for just one fleeting second, that you had too many tools...if your significant other ever told you, you have too many tools, well, just check this guy out!! He has more tools than I can even comprehend! I started scrolling through the videos this guy has put together and it's almost endless. The next time the wife tells me I have too many tools, I'm going to have her scroll through this guys tools! It's like...infinity...amount of tools. WOW!

The man with the most tools in the Universe!

Unbelievable! He's got every flavor, and size, and configuration of every tool ever known to mankind! LOL!!!

edit on 4/23/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Tools, knives, cookware, the list goes on, I have problems.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I would just love to see all this guys tools laid out in one place!

I'll bet it would go past the horizon!

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   

It would trigger my OCD and an overwhelming compulsion to place them back on pegboards within their specified tool outlines.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   

How can you ask that? No, you cannot have too many tools.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Ah, horizontal storage. My favorite. I store all mine on the floor/ground.

Tools are extensions of the hand and mind connection. No amount is too many, except for broken ones. I have lots of those too.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I came across a tool the other day in my menagerie of stuff that I didn't even know what it was, or what it was for. It was in this nice box, and inside was this HD brass dial gauge thing with a rubber wheel on the end. When you spun the rubber wheel around it would register on the gauge. This thing was obviously pretty expensive given the quality of the device itself and the wooden box it was in. A real high quality measuring instrument of some such. I couldn't figure out what it was. There was nothing written on it, so there was no hint there. After a bit I determined that ten revolutions on the dial registered one increment on the dial, but the dial only moved when the rubber tip was spinning. Hmmmm...it must be time calibrated.

Sure enough, after some testing I determined it was measuring revolutions per minute (RPM). Then I started thinking...I wonder what someone would need this for? I did eventually figure it out, but before I answer....does anyone care to hazard a guess? (scroll down for the answer)
Turns out the device is used to measure the RPMs of belts in a belt and pulley arrangement. Yes, you could probably get pretty close by calculating it based on shaft RPM and sheave sizes, but I guess this thing gives you an exact reading and saves a person the headache. And it's funny too, because just the other day I was trying to figure out the cutter speed on an old joiner that I powered with an electric motor and a belt, but didn't know the sheave sizes. Plus, this will give you the exact reading with the motor under load, which a straight calculation would not. So, you can figure out if the HP rating is correct on the motor also. Pretty neat!

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The government may take my "tools" but I have a good insurance policy! My policy is a full metal shop in my basement and the ability to make what ever I want. The guarantee is my knowledge that can't be taken away by anyone or any government agency.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Hell, I got sets of tools scattered all over Georgia from various moves. Left quite a bit with my brother when I moved south, left a smallish set with an ex-girlfriend, left the basics with my ex-wife. My main set is in storage or my garage.

All my accumulated pieces were microscopic compared to my father's garage and his work area was like an Autozone and a General Hardware combined. You could go to his workshop and there was stuff nice and organized on pegboard still in packaging ready to use, which we did over the years. You could tell this man drove and traveled for a living he had everything to keep his vehicles going.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Being a blacksmith I find myself making more tools. Agreed we can't have too many.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The most maddening thing is people who don't put stuff back where it was.
Standard sockets go in that drawer.
Metric goes in that drawer.
Same for standard and metric box end wrenches or any other tool.

I Put Them There For A Reason So Put The Damn Thing Back Where You Found It.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It would take at a minimum of a large semi trailer stacked to the roof to move my tools that I still own. I got rid of about a quarter of what I had when I got rid of the 28x56 shop I owned, my relatives and close friends were happy to get free stuff.

I would also have to have two flatbed equipment trailers full of farming tools, plus two tractors and a riding lawnmower.

I think I may be a tool aholic, why do I need fourteen spray guns for spraying car paints? Why do I need three air compressors and three generators....oh wait, I forgot...four generators. I really do not need the equipment trailer or the dump truck anymore. I only have one radial arm and two planers now anyway, I gave away the big commerical planer to my brother, if I need to plane a bunch of rough cut planed, I can load a trailer and haul it up to his garage. I have a chainsaw sawmill and many chainsaws if I want to cut some pines here that die off. Not fast, but it will make lumber...It works faster than I can work now.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I have 12 claw hammers.
Don't get me going on ball peen and tack hammers.

So no... You cannot have to many tools.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The reason cause nothing sucks worse than having to fix something and not having the right tool. When you live on isolated wooded acreage you need more and different tools

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Good lord!
Scrolling....

Still scrolling....

When does it end...

Hey there's my pizza

Well, seeing many Harbor Freight Tools... that brand is garbage. No wonder he has so many tools, they break.πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜”

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Blasphemy !!!!

"I wish I did not own that tool" said no man.... ever.....

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Sure thing sir! Let me have the commoners prep the tarp on the field so we can place out ALL the tools. 😧😧

edit on 23-4-2021 by Bigburgh because: I got a MAC curve here somewhere. It was my first intubation kit.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I have 12 claw hammers.
Don't get me going on ball peen and tack hammers.

So no... You cannot have too many tools.

Same here.

Suppose my sons borrow my hammers, and don't return them ( they rarely do, somehow they lose them, some weird space vortex thing, like missing socks in dryer.....), and they each do that JUST 3 times in a year, I would have only three hammers left....

... and suppose, just suppose a farfetched thing like...ummm...a meteor or
even more farfetched: a worldwide pandemic strikes....
... and all stores close ...
... and the government forces you to stay at home...
... and I can't buy more hammers, then, I would have just a few months supply of hammers left...so....

...I mean, this COULD happen....

....see, mathematical proof you cannot have too many tools...

.....OK, I'll show myself the door....
edit on 23-4-2021 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

My house is a wee bit unorganized,how would that affect
your OCD?

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I believe that you can never have too many tools.Someone
sneaked onto my son's property in the middle of the night
and took his tools.

top topics