It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid Survivors and Increased Risk of Death

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   
good morning, pandemic fans! just read about an interesting new study of 87,000 covid survivors (vs. 5 million control patients, including a subset of flu survivors) and there seems to be an increased risk of death in the first six months of diagnosis, and that seems to have some variety in its cause, possibly due to the deleterious effect covid can have on various different body systems.

even more disturbing, seems the effect is found in survivors of mild cases as well as severe, though the effect definitely seems to increase with the severity of the case.

i'm gonna link to an article that summarizes the findings as well as the original study. early days on this data but i can only hope there's some error here, otherwise this is going to be a significant impact on the lives of quite a few people and our health system is going to be playing catch-up there as well....

COVID-19 survivors have increased risk of death six months after diagnosis, study finds

High-dimensional characterization of post-acute sequalae of COVID-19

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313
Well, gosh darn. They think of every angle.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:51 AM
link   

You should probably stay in your basement for another year then.

+17 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Our current society has gotten so fearful of dying that it no longer knows how to live.

I pity most everyone.

edit on 23-4-2021 by DBCowboy because: I am Batman

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I recently got the results of a blood test for covid antibodies, it was positive. I have had covid. I think I had it around Christmas and New Years 2019. I was sick for a several weeks worse than any flew I have ever had. The information in the links you have provided seems to explain the problems I have been having after that. Hopefully I am over the worst of the long term effects.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't know man...I got all kinda long symptoms and issues after and extremely mild case...trust me at sucks. However I am also about to board a boat and go fishing...so I'd say some of us are still livin!

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
Most of the people I know don’t really fear death. They just don’t really want it this soon and they don’t want it to hurt.

I am going to the gym again and going fishing at least once a week. Individuals are still living. As far as society goes, does it really matter? Some are idiots that fear everything.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Well sure, 6 months sounds about right.

You get covid.
You die in a car accident 3 months later.
You died from covid.

At least that is how it works here in MI.

I had it for Christmas. I need to stay alive until June to be clear.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

i hope you stay good! i had some long term effects too and they were not fun at all

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

sorry to hear you're still dealing with that, i hope it clears up for you soon.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: igloo

i don't think viruses think?

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

You should probably stay in your basement for another year then.

that is so funny and original! except i haven't been staying in any basements or hiding from the world. i've been living with sensible precautions, like any reasonable and responsible person.

i'm not sure what you find so threatening about doctors studying the long-term health effects of a new virus. that's kind of what they do.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I had Covid several months back and I feel just fi.......

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   

It is what it is...honestly I just ignore it as much as possible. Already been to the ER over it and they did all the scans and tests they had...results say I'm not dying, so I will continue living lol!

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

that's all we can do, lol. i struggled with some almighty fatigue for a few months but that seems to be gone now, hopefully for good.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Approx 2.8 million Americans die every year, and every single death is caused by something.

Imagine that...

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

i hear ya man, what do we need all this INFORMATION for anyway... just clutters up the brain

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Do you work in healthcare? I work on an ambulance and we all got COVID in January 2020, before anyone was talking about it. It was "a bad flu year" until they gave it a different name.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well as I am learning all of that may be based on which variants these people had. Are they showing long-lasting effects on all variants or is it just one particular one. If it was a localized study it would likely have a different strain than other places. Here in Georgia, our dominant strain is different than Florida's for example. Florida barely has cases of Georgia's dominant strain. Theres enough cases and variants now that it will be decades too study, we will likely find out one strain was more lethal etc.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Here, we use the national healthcare databases of the US Department of Veterans Affairs to systematically and comprehensively identify 6-month incident sequalae including diagnoses, medication use, and laboratory abnormalities in 30-day survivors of COVID-19.

looks like national... i'm thinking probably a distinction wasn't made as to variants but i would be interested to know how that factors in, for sure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join