It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How VR tricks your brain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Over the past few years i've noticed a lot of people that are "on the fence" so to speak... about the quality of experience that VR can offer... mostly without ever actually putting a set on... While i and other people can tell you how amazing it can be, theres no real way to explain it without actually experiencing it for yourself

I think a lot of people have seen clips like these at least once before...

But when you look at the graphics of what these people are seeing... its not mind blowing photo realistic stuff... in fact many games are nothing special graphically at all... Yet people fall flat on their faces or scream in terror!! I've seen people punch walls, and a few in my VR group have broken knuckles, fingers, and toes...

i accidentally punched my cat once

So people question... are they just faking it.. or just being over dramatic?

No... these are real reactions from every day people that just haven't experienced VR before. VR can and literally does Trick your brain at times... and yes even a seasoned Vet like myself still occasionally lose.... myself and... Well i've recently tried to lean on a table that wasn't there playing mini Golf... Almost fell on my face... lol

This video will explain in better detail...

and perhaps it will help those fence sitters that want to jump into VR... but still aren't convinced

edit on 22-4-2021 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I may try it some day.

It became almost affordable once, but Facebook bought the company and ruined the whole industry for anyone with even a hint of self respect.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I have Oculus Rift and Play Station 4. I like Oculus better as it has sensors that surround You unlike Play Station just in front of You. I'm not the typical gamer and haven't found anything yet in Vr thats grabbed Me, Sharks on Mars is pretty fun though, Google Maps is pretty cool (We used it before We went to Australia) and some of the simulations are awesome ie the Space Station. To be fair PS Ironman VR is pretty cool

Goggle maps is usually what I use to show other people, just tell them to find home from space (even kids).
edit on 22-4-2021 by ATruGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Its cute theory on the dynamics of technology and our brain. I think its more about when you put on the headset all other external objects are gone and you only have the two screens infront of you . Its different from say watching a tv because you can still see your furniture , plants, kitchen etc on the side of your eye. When you put on the headset all external objects are gone . Which is what gives VR that realistic feeling. You can easily verify this by having vr headset on and having a latch that drops the sides of the VR headset to let u see normal world. The magic will be gone.

VR just hijacks your eyes focus 100 percent .

Side note. How about a new pic ? I'm sick and tired of that fat cat...
edit on 22-4-2021 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt
I may try it some day.

It became almost affordable once, but Facebook bought the company and ruined the whole industry for anyone with even a hint of self respect.

Yeah... and that is good and bad

FB pretty much has a monopoly on VR as it stands... but for good reason

a few years back the only way to get into VR was to own or buy a very high end Cpu and graphics card... nothing less then a grand would make the grade, and that barely did it... to get that high quality experience you were looking at spending upward of 2k on the system alone... plus another 5-$800 for a vr set... and back then very few people had VR.... Unless you had PSVR, which is mostly crap

Now were talking $399 for a high end experience... all because of FB... Oculus brought VR to the rest of the world for less then the price of a recent consoul.... and other companies even admit they can't compete with the Quest 2

Not great for VR having one company dominate without competition... but it is what it is...

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod
I have Oculus Rift and Play Station 4. I like Oculus better as it has sensors that surround You unlike Play Station just in front of You. I'm not the typical gamer and haven't found anything yet in Vr thats grabbed Me, Sharks on Mars is pretty fun though, Google Maps is pretty cool (We used it before We went to Australia) and some of the simulations are awesome ie the Space Station. To be fair PS Ironman VR is pretty cool

Goggle maps is usually what I use to show other people, just tell them to find home from space (even kids).

I would recommend Half life Alyx.... superhot... A fishermans Tale.... and population 1

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seedofchucky

How about a new pic ? I'm sick and tired of that fat cat...

Get used to it me bucko... deh kitty is here to stay

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   

What System? I only found Superhot which looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestions.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ATruGod

Alyx is on steam... and is easily the best VR game to date...

Superhot is loads of fun... think Neo from the matrix

A fishermans tale is on oculus... and so is pop1

And btw pop1 is incredibly addictive.... and im not even a fan of shooters

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Wait till this trick technology creeps into civilian pop.

Microsoft Wins $22 Billion Army Contract For Augmented Reality Headsets

Key Facts

Microsoft said the headsets would be based on its HoloLens technology, which was originally developed for video games.

The headsets would be part of what the military refers to as an Integrated Visual Augmentation System, which projects contextual imagery and information in front of the user’s eyes.

The Army said the technology could help soldiers improve situational awareness, target engagement and decision-making skills “against current and future adversaries.”

Those must be some super ultra alien tech VR headsets for $22 Billion!! And $2200 toilet seats.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: EndtheMadnessNow

Jump into the game Alice...

Im trying to open the door for you all... as you can see

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

originally posted by: a325nt
I may try it some day.

Yeah... and that is good and bad

FB pretty much has a monopoly on VR as it stands... but for good reason

a few years back the only way to get into VR was to own or buy a very high end Cpu and graphics card... nothing less then a grand would make the grade, and that barely did it... to get that high quality experience you were looking at spending upward of 2k on the system alone... plus another 5-$800 for a vr set... and back then very few people had VR.... Unless you had PSVR, which is mostly crap

Now were talking $399 for a high end experience... all because of FB... Oculus brought VR to the rest of the world for less then the price of a recent consoul.... and other companies even admit they can't compete with the Quest 2

Not great for VR having one company dominate without competition... but it is what it is...

All for the cost of your soul, and all your personal information.
Gross.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

haha... I've had FB for like 12 years or so...

No skin off my back... no ill effects ever...

besides, there are other VR sets that don't require FB... they're just more expensive

In any case VR is awesome... and everyone should at least try it... just so you can see for yourself

Even IF its PSVR... still good... just not as good

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I tried it for the first time the other day, it was a roller coaster game.

It was pretty freaking awesome. I almost fell on my butt a couple times.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Lmao! Yeah i don't roller coaster... but some people just love it!

I've seen people scream like little girls first time on a VR coaster... frickin hilarious!

There is a Game called coaster Combat that is pretty fun... and Rush of blood on the PSVR is a rollercoaster Horror shooting gallery.. Lots of jump scares... which... admittedly... was a lot of fun!

Coasters are just the tip of the iceburg though... but im glad you enjoyed it

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The basic concept really isn't that hard to understand, you just render the scene from two slightly different angles and show one image to each eye, then our brain will automatically perceive it as a 3D scene with depth which feels real. So even if the world looks cartoony it still feels much more real than any normal video game. Obviously it's a lot more complex than that when you get into the fine details, but when it works properly the effect is great. But no I would not sign up to FB just to experience VR.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Like i said above... theres tons of other sets, it doesn't need to be oculus

but it does need to be experienced

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Most surprising aspects of virtual reality for me was head tracking. Being able to walk to a second floor window then look down at the street below. It really immerses the brain into the 3D world.

Why are so many people paranoid about opening a facebook account. All notifications to facebook can be turned off in oculus. So it just remains an empty account for purchasing games is all.

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ATruGod

Google Earth VR is one of the best things I've ever done. It is absolutely amazing. From on high, flying over cities, landscapes, towns, but once you get down to a pedestrian level, it's just surreal. So funky but with the level of deatil added to it (billboards, signs, etc) yet trees that are mere blobs..

It's like being a ghost after a global disaster.

but the feel of it, is insane. Especially in mountainous regions, or even flying over manhatten.

One of the best experiences ever. The controls on the oculus touch controllers could be better, but I am still awed by it.

Another good game for VR is Moss. It's a platform game, but VR brings out the absolute brilliance of such a thing as you're above the mouse, and controlling her, even interacting with her to do things.

I have two badly damaged rotater cuff's so my ability to play shooters is limited. This makes me sad. :/ but another great quest 2 game is Warplanes WW1 fighters. A seated game, and you grab the rudder, and while it's more arcade than flight sim, it's fun as anything. I saw someone on youtube demo it, and he didn't realise the left controller let you target planes, and he was swerving and swooping, looking behind him to find the enemy. I told him that the left trigger targets them.. haha. game changer, but only in arcade mode. realistic more, you gotta aim that bonnet.

HLA is one I have played a few times, but this was when I had hair, and my quest 2 is uncooperative with the face strain, I get bad tension headaches. havent tried it since I bought my mullet removing device.

Just please, no one... no one talk about beat sabre... for the love of god..

Just to add, a moss clip - you have to be in VR to truly appreciate how awesome it is..

edit on 23-4-2021 by jerich0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I just picked up the ps5 yesterday and will be buying PSVR2.0 when it drops. I haven’t experienced any VR due to the lack of games that interest me but it looks like we are heading towards to VR rpgs in the coming years.

VR No Mans Sky, Subnautica and Skyrim are all games I would like to experience.

edit on 23-4-2021 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join