It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defund/Abolish or keep the police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'm not American but do watch and follow events/politics closely in America.

After so many years fighting against segregation and divisive behaviour, it now seems certain factions now encourage this behaviour and welcome segregation.

The world has changed dramatically in recent years and no longer is authority respected. Not just America, but in other countries. People want to defy the law and scream everything is against their rights. Is this a problem only in western countries?

How many election results have we seen that people refuse to accept, Brexit, Trump 2016, Scottish Independence etc. Protests and riots follow.

What is the solution? Can we give everyone what they want?

It would be a huge logistical nightmare but if some people want to live in a society without police, let them. Everyone who doesn't want police can live in one city or cities, with no police protection. Everyone who wants police can live in cities with police.

I know it will never happen but what other options are there?

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Nostranova

Keep the police out of districts run by Defund or Abolish the Police, members of Congress.

Let's see how the citizens of those districts react.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I think there needs to be more of a discussion on 'defund the police' which doesn't mean abolish the police. As a gun toting American, the cops don't need tanks. If I can't have a tank, they shouldn't be able to have one. The point of the 2nd is to protect ourselves from tyranny. Why do our tax dollars go to an institution that is continually upping the armament. Personally, it doesn't feel like they are protecting with that type of firepower.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Keep the police out of districts run by Defund or Abolish the Police, members of Congress.

Let's see how the citizens of those districts react.

Oh but what about influential vigilante justice.... King Le Bron

It's open season according to the King!

I may delete this!

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The statistics and numbers do not warrant abolishment. That's fkn stupid.

The degradation of society actually warrants more funding and retraining to properly deal with modern morons.

Keeping the police will be up to the officers themselves.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
The statistics and numbers do not warrant abolishment. That's fkn stupid.

The degradation of society actually warrants more funding and retraining to properly deal with modern morons.

Keeping the police will be up to the officers themselves.

Now funding for training, yes!

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Let the "progressive" cities that have voted in defund platformed governments abolish all law enforcement presence. Places that have elected conservative representatives get to keep their cops.

Let's see how that plays out. Actually, we're already seeing it to some degree, looking at places like Portland and Somaliapolis.

I'd like to think that such an experiment would straighten out progressive thinking, but experience and history seem to indicate otherwise. Stupid just can't be fixed.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Dang! Quadruple post! This must be an ATS first.
edit on 2021 4 22 by incoserv because: quadruple post.

link   

link   

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

STOP 🛑🛑🛑
🤣

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
a reply to: incoserv

STOP 🛑🛑🛑
🤣

Well, when you got something to say ...

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If various citizens elect to throw their safety to the wind and endorse a LEO-free society, then they had better be armed to the teeth and prepared to defend their lifestyles.

Agree with everything you said. People should be careful what they wish for. I was arrested in 1976 and roughed up and it was an unnecessarily difficult experience (imo). My problem was with that specific officer, not the whole department, and certainly not with all LEOs in the state everywhere. I was culpable in my own difficulty, and had I been a proper and compliant perp, likely I wouldn't have suffered a scratch. Does that make me think that we should have NO police?? WTF!!! What kind of nonsense is this!!!

Civilization is hinged upon order. Order is enforced by various enforcement officers. A legislative system judges those who've run afoul of the order. To contemplate an existence without either is to embrace chaos.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:48 PM
link   
You want uninhibited democracy? Then get rid of the police and give every citizen a rifle. Things will get sorted out real quick. Maybe.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
You want uninhibited democracy? Then get rid of the police and give every citizen a rifle. Things will get sorted out real quick. Maybe.

I don't know if that is a democracy, but I'll take your word for it.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Defund the districts that vote for it, and channel those funds to the areas willing to accommodate better police training.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Skooter_NB

There's a reason checks and balances exist in modern democratic countries. Without them the people have a semi-direct or direct democracy in which the people have power over elected representatives or just flat out hold the power. It leads to mob rule, and then tyranny if left unchecked.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Under LeBron's influence, some police departments are now telling police to leave their guns in the car during a "traffic stop".

Criminals LOVE the current environment. They can wear a huge mask to rob the bank, and noone notices. The cameras can't see their face. And now, the police who pull over the getaway car will not be armed!

As someone who designed anti-crime tactics in the Navy, I can say confidently that CRIMINALS ARE IN HEAVEN more in 2021 than they were in 2020.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:37 PM
link   
IMO,
Have a vote.
Any place that doesn't want police, send them to the outskirts of town, and have them deny traffic in or out.

After a few weeks, when the cities are sufficiently on fire and the criminals are in gangs going building to building for supplies, they'll soon come to the outskirts and run into the police they didn't want.
Those police can then do their job and keep those thugs from spreading.

I don't care much for the police, but mostly just because they'd look down on me if I fertilized the lawn with some high drug dealing punk trying to ruin my day.

Any major city would fall apart in a day without the police.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Maybe stop portraying criminals as saints.

Floyd would be alive if he wasn’t committing a crime
Trayvon would be alive if he had been in school instead of expelled for theft.
The girl in Ohio would be alive if she wasn’t trying to stab another girl.
The kid in Chicago would be alive if he was using a gun to commit a crime at 2:30am.
Etc
Etc

Every one of them has a huge chunk of responsibility for putting themselves in harms way.
I have little sympathy for them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join