It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I comfort abandoned crying kitten

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Need some advice. Today an elderly person down the street from me asked me to help her with a kitten while I was taking a walk. It’s been raining here in south Louisiana for the last 4-5 days. About a foot in total. She said for the last two nights she has heard a kitten crying in the bushes near her front door.

I took a look and found a kitten I estimate to be about 3 weeks old. I brought it home, dried it off, and warmed it up. Ran to the store and got some kitten formula and a bottle. Fed it, made sure it tinkled and it promptly fell asleep for the next 8 hours.

I’ll just go ahead and call it a “she”. She has not stopped crying since being up. She has eaten, is warm and the other cats are being ver good to her.

Any ideas on how to comfort her so she isn’t crying constantly?

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Spader

She's calling for mama.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Pet her, cuddle her and comfort her? If she wants. It is a cat after all, who knows what those little buggers actually want. Cat's can be fairly mysterious.
edit on 19/4/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Sounds like you have properly done everything you can for the moment .

A vet would be the next option if it means that much to you , Check her for fractures or something that could be causing pain but she is probably just a fussy kitten.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Time.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:35 PM
link   

My wife and I do foster care for kitties separated from their mommas. They will be like that for the first few days maybe a week. Then they turn into the most lovable living thing in the universe.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Other than the crying how is she acting? Does she move around? Is she looking around for something?

Maybe DB is right, she’s looking for her family and y’all don’t fit the sniff test just yet.

I just nicknamed her Boo Hoo.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

She's calling for mama.

That's what I was going to say 😭😭😭😭😭😭
Worse yet this thread is on top of another animal thread!!!!

edit on 19-4-2021 by Bigburgh because: 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Kittens at 3 weeks need warmth. Give her a heating pad and something to snuggle against like a cheap stuffed animal. Make sure that she can crawl on or off the heating pad as needed so she doesn't overheat.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bunch

My wife and I do foster care for kitties separated from their mommas. They will be like that for the first few days maybe a week. Then they turn into the most lovable living thing in the universe.

Unless you have ours. Ours is right little passive aggressive turd bucket.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:52 PM
link   

My cats liked laying on my warm neck. They also hear and feel your heart beat. 😔

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Not sure, but if she is that young, she may need stimulated to be able to have a bowel movement. Has she had any yet? That could be causing the problem. And pain.

The mother would be washing & grooming them after they nursed to help them go. Take a warm, moist washcloth & rub her sides gently from her front legs down to her tail on both sides. That should help get things moving.Maybe Google more specific info to be sure?

WOQ

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Get an old fashion wind up clock, the louder the tick the better. Wind it up and wrap a towel around it. Put it in the bed with the kitten. The vibration will help the kitten sleep and calm it down. You and your cats are doing all you can but you can't sleep with it all the time when it wants to sleep.

It will take time to get used to you. Put something with your scent on it, an old t shirt you haven't washed yet, on the edge of its bed, this will speed up getting used to you.

If I remember right, it will need feeding every three hours for a while.

A trip to the vet is always a good idea just in case there is something you havent noticed that is a problem.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Every three to four hours, but at 3 weeks, they can go overnight without too much trouble. Our monster was able to sleep about 6 to 7 hours and then go every 3 to 4 hours between feeds through the daylight. He gained steadily and right on schedule as he should.
edit on 19-4-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 10:28 PM
link   
shes looking for her kind she wants her mom but if are going to be her mom make sure you keep her warm next to you. like any other life of the mammal kind security and trust goes a long way. keep her warm and fed.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 10:31 PM
link   
IF you're going to keep her.. find a shirt thats been worn a few times and let her cuddle up in it where she sleeps

She'll be more comfey once she gets used to your scent

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It is probably hungry again, if it was sitting a few days out in the rain it probably depleted it's stores of energy. I wonder what happened to the mother, maybe someone wanted to get rid of kittens so dropped them off in neighborhoods around town. Kind of cruel, but it has been happening since I was a kid.

It also may be wanting to go bathroom and it's natural litter box is not around. Try bringing it to the litter box. Their mother teaches them to poop in the box at a pretty young age, we had kittens in our upstairs bathroom and the little ones were hauled into the box by Shodi to pee and poop when they were already around that age. Even if it is an outdoor cat, it still gets into the habbit of doing but it is just in a different area from where they live.

Just hang it on a curtain or a small tree in your house, it will amuse itself climbing up and shredding the curtain.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Bunch

Unless you have ours. Ours is right little passive aggressive turd bucket.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Time.

Best answer , right there ^^^^^^^

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Agree with all the advice.. She needs help to keep warm but please make sure she has a bm too like wasobservingquietly was saying. Take a soft cloth moistened with warm water and gently clean her bum. Sorry if its gross but this is what momma would do. They don't just go on their own for awhile but I'm not sure the age they can do it by themselves. We hold orphans on our chest and let them sleep, transfer to a low heat pad with room to get to a cool spot when you need to. Give some lovins to her from us!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join