It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Jobs Americans don't want

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   
We've heard that a few times haven't we...
Well apparently immigrants/illegal aliens won't be the answer.
Paying American workers a higher wage won't either..

This is what is going to happen... Rise of the Drones.
I noticed that drone laws are rapidly changing in my area.
It will be interesting to see what happens in the service sector.
There will be new jobs related to these drones but a lot will go away too.

edit on 19-4-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-4-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The other industry I see taking a hit is some lawn service.
Right now it's just grass cutting, but I can see this easily going toward mosquito spraying,
fertilization etc.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It seems that the jobs that are jobs that provide needs for our society are not what people want. Unless they can control a robot do it of course. We have been conditioned to focus on our wants and not our needs.

When I was younger, there were people who would go out of their way, actually working harder than needed, to not produce what they were paid to produce. Then the foreman would pull that person off the job and send someone who would actually work to finish it....the Union protected those people who wanted to disrupt production. Now the unions are pretty much depressed in our society and more and more people actually do not want to do physical labor in our society. I saw that coming over the years, we messed up training work ethics to the young in this country.

The problem is that bringing in immigrants isn't going to work well, because farm kids need to be trained from young to work on farms and more and more we are convincing other countries to not let the kids work in the fields picking produce or restricting them from having kids work tending animals on the farms. Instead they are teaching the kids about technology and teaching the kids things they do not need to know to take care of the farms....then they think they are too educated to pick strawberries. I was a farm boy when I was young, and because I spent summers working on the farm and fishing, I was not considered cool by some and I was too much of a Nerd for another big group of people because I was in way advanced classes for my grade.

I got used to not fitting in, and I still have that not fitting in feeling, although I can fit in with all this technology, I do not think it is a good idea to get too dependent on it. It is unhealthy to just sit at a desk and stupid to go out and pay for a gym when you can go out and get a job that you get paid to get exercise doing the job. What a screwed up society we have created now, providing necessary things to society is not as good as providing wants and the majority of people don't want to do physical work for a living and sure do not want to produce more than they have to produce. There are some that like to produce, but over half of the workers don't want to produce more than they absolutely have to.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The new 2021 Juan Deer is the ultimate in grounds keeping form residential property to big farms. Comes with no documentation or warranty of any kind. A true wonder product. The product applications are endless.

I digress, won’t be long before the whole world is controlled by drones from India and China before they become fully automated. The large tech company’s already police the thought of world using this method won’t be long before the companies ideology starts to jump off the web page and into reality.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'm good.
Shotgun for the drones, sledgehammer for the lawnmower/dog robots.

Hubby loves mowing/drinking a beer with the neighbor. I can see it for corporations though. One car dealership here in town has one of the robots.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouseIt is unhealthy to just sit at a desk and stupid to go out and pay for a gym when you can go out and get a job that you get paid to get exercise doing the job.

Was at an event several years ago. One of the leading equipment manufacturers had an area set up, where you paid some ridiculous amount to run a skid loader for 10 minutes. And people were lined up. If only those people realized there are places that'd pay THEM and they could run one all day!

Anyway yes automation is coming, and it won't be just for the jobs nobody wants. Any repetitive task, blue or white collar, is going to be under the magnifying glass.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Factories around here can't get anyone to come to work.
Some have discontinued drug testing and I've heard that people will show up drunk and still don't get fired.

Yeah...solutions are being considered.
edit on 19-4-2021 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I can see myself sitting on the porch with a shotgun full of birdshot, waiting for a drone pizza delivery for someone to fly over my property.

Never been, "drone pizza hunting" before. Might be fun.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The funny thing about UAVs is they still require an actual person to pilot it. It's not robots taking our jobs, just supplementing them.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
I'm good.
Shotgun for the drones, sledgehammer for the lawnmower/dog robots.

Hubby loves mowing/drinking a beer with the neighbor. I can see it for corporations though. One car dealership here in town has one of the robots.

You are good for now, the problem is there will be a point where you may not have a choice.

I noticed my grocery store now only has one cashier open and added more self checkout. My guess is that one cashier might go away soon.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
I can see myself sitting on the porch with a shotgun full of birdshot, waiting for a drone pizza delivery for someone to fly over my property.

Never been, "drone pizza hunting" before. Might be fun.

Better think twice. Shoot down a drone an you'll be the one arrested with hefty fines.
Seriously look up the laws. It's crazy but they are doing everything to protect drones and not property owners.
(at least in my state)

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Lotta Luddites in this thread.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The Mine Workers Union has reached a deal for Joe Biden to provide good jobs for displaced workers.

Source: www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
The Mine Workers Union has reached a deal for Joe Biden to provide good jobs for displaced workers.

Source: www.nbcnews.com...

selling one's soul always seems to elicit a sad country song expressing regret.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I dunno, some people that pay for landscaping might use that...but..there'll always be picky asshole lawyers out there who inspect the length of their lawn with a set of calipers and demand a perfect uniform length achievable only with a gas powered rotary mower. Then there's the edging. I'd like to see a robot do a perfect knife egde perimeter around an odd shaped lawn.

Then there's all those commercial properties where one of things would just be unfeasible. Maintenance crews also tend to do more than just mow. They weed gardens, prune hedges, do debris cleanup, especially in autumn and i dunno, i lost count of the random things people asked me, well usually demanded, because people are rude as hell to landscapers, to do when i landscaped...
edit on 19/4/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   
crops are rotting in the fields.

www.theguardian.com...

www.wtsp.com...

Prices are going to skyrocket. Grow your own...

Planted a huge truck farm on my Texas property for anyone that wanted to pick their own. One Hispanic family showed up. Plowed the rest under.

I guess noone wanted to drive out to Idalou...
edit on 19-4-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Drones aren't necessary, it's just another convenience trap to sustain apathy and the appearance of decadence and control.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Better think twice. Shoot down a drone an you'll be the one arrested with hefty fines.

That is a federal law. Shooting at a drone has the same penalty as shooting at a Cessna or a 747 according to the FAA.
edit on 4 19 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   

As soon as my driveway is paved I'm picking up a robotic mower. I wouldn't want to have anyone come mow, my landscape is a little uneven and the chance of rolling a riding mower or breaking an ankle with a push model is pretty high. The one I'm looking at is AWD and can handle a 35 degree incline, will handle my entire grass area and be good to go for some time to come.

As for other automation, I've seen it happen in factories, I've seen it happen in the energy sector, I've seen it happen in the oil and gas sector, I've even seen RPA in the finance sector. Automation is an inevitability at this point, so the best you can do is try and future proof your profession.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   
If I recall correctly, Grand rapids just bought at least one of these lawnmower drones for park maintenance. I personally think it's downright stupid to rely on drones to do the work instead of a meatsack. Too much tech room for failures, # ups, and accidents.

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Lotta Luddites in this thread.

Damn right I am. TF do I need # like a connected fridge or faucet for?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join