It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baked Fish with Wild Onions and Oyster Sauce Gravy

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   
For the first time in about a year or more (not even remember), I was able to have a nice little walk in the forest. I thank God for that. During all this time at home with the virus, I found solace watching videos of people doing outdoor activities.

I went foraging without any idea of what would I find but exited like a little boy. It was rainy but nothing could stop me, I got the call of the wild.

I found some not edible mushrooms, I think they call them "fake turkey tail", also some bushes look like they will offer fruits in a few weeks.

On my way home I had to stop. Beautiful wild onions all over. That's what Mother Earth offered me today , I thankfully accepted them, the mountain is generous with those who show respect.

The aroma inside my car was not too strong but it went deep into my lungs. My post-Covid Phantosmia was gone. One humble plant ignored by most of people did what doctors can't do today.

Before going home, I called my wife and told her I'll cook today. I found some fish steaks for a good price. A tray covered with good butter, soy sauce, oyter sauce, salt, peper and of course, chopped wild onions. Tinfoil covered in the oven at 350, time by eye.

Uncovered, took all the juices in the tray and reduced in a pot, with wine and some flour. One generous extra shot of oyster sauce and the gravy was ready. Took the fish out and poured the gravy on top.

Wife made the rice, she gave it a nice touch adding sweet corn. Next to the rice you may see a sort of a tartar, yes, it has wild onions too. A delicious well balanced meal. A celebration of a second chance.
edit on 17-4-2021 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yummmmmm
Is oyster sauce similar to fish sauce?
Could you substitute it with fish sauce?
Looks like a great dish.
I've got my truffle oil rubbed, sea salt, brown sugar and coffee pork shoulder on the smoker as we speak.
This thread is making me hungry

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Yummmmmm
Is oyster sauce similar to fish sauce?
Could you substitute it with fish sauce?
Looks like a great dish.
I've got my truffle oil rubbed, sea salt, brown sugar and coffee pork shoulder on the smoker as we speak.
This thread is making me hungry

Why not, they might be the same or similar. Delicious no matter what.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It's nice that you got to go out and enjoy nature for a while, that's always a plus. I have too many wild onions growing in my yard and always just mow over them. Maybe I need to dig them up, down to the bulb, and not let them go to waste. I've used wild garlic from my yard before in some recipes and that worked out well.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Wonderful. A combination of onions, garlic, ginger and whatever blows your hair back on grilled fish, is always a winner. I tend to like fish blackened, and these ingredients and method would be really fine.

well done and thank you for the education!

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Oyster sauce is syrupy, earthy, salty/sweet. Like soy sauce mixed with a sweet barbecue sauce. Fish sauce is very loose, salty, and very strong. A little goes a looong way. It's salted and fermented fish. Red Boat is the way to go for fish sauce. Both fish sauce and oyster sauce have their place, but I wouldn't call them interchangeable.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Interesting. Thanks.
I will alert my people on the worcester-Shire

Yeah..small doses for sure. Like the truffle oil.
I love those potent ingredients. Now I will have to buy some oyster sauce.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 09:32 PM
link   
That looks scrumptious! Cipolline / Spring Onions are often overlooked and underestimated. I'm glad you put them to a delicious use.

In Italy, that kind of dish is also made with thinly sliced or julienne potatoes on top, baked to turn them crispy. If you add some capers you can avoid adding salt.

At Christmas, we make the same dish with salted cod (baccalà), except we broil it in a weak tomato sauce and add black olives, capers and sultanas.

It's 4:30 am and I'm craving some baked fish... damn you!

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Do they sell wild onion seeds anywhere, I would love to get some for our property. I do have some traveling onions but they seem to die off after about five years or so. Are those the same as chives?

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Do they sell wild onion seeds anywhere, I would love to get some for our property. I do have some traveling onions but they seem to die off after about five years or so. Are those the same as chives?

The closest one I've seen in internet is under the name of "welsh onion", you can buy the seeds but I'm not sure if it'll be the same.

There is a secret wisdom behind wild plants and trees. Each kind of plant grow in a specific area in the forest, assuring that's where the best conditions are offered.

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

originally posted by: rickymouse

The closest one I've seen in internet is under the name of "welsh onion", you can buy the seeds but I'm not sure if it'll be the same.

There is a secret wisdom behind wild plants and trees. Each kind of plant grow in a specific area in the forest, assuring that's where the best conditions are offered.

There are wild leaks that grow around here, but they are really strong. A friend of mine is going to dig some up for me this spring and I have an old dried up spring bed I will try to plant them on. Certain things grow in that area, but many things won't, it grows chives ok, so I am hoping it will grow leaks. The spring dried up long ago but the water from the hills on both sides still runs there and it might be a good place to plant stuff that needs water...like wild onions and leaks. Mostly maples and some pine in that area, the pines are a hundred feet tall, the maples are about sixty feet tall. I don't think under the area of the oaks would be a good area.

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Somehow you refreshed my mind, I remember a hidden place where I saw ramps all over. It was like 2 years ago, in summer. I need to find out if I should wait for better weather or I could harvest them now.

I found that spot and several others when I was metal detecting. Some of these places have a great potential as a source of meat too, I'm sure no hunter know these locations. I'll save that option for the future.

top topics

join