It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: IMAX theaters Reject Science Shows under Religious Pressure

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Some of the IMAX theatres are refusing to show movies that talk about evolution because of protests by religious groups. The religious groups do not want these movies to be shown because they say that the ideas in the certain movies contradict the teachings in the Bible. Another example of a movie they are protesting against is a movie about the Big Bang Theory.

www.livescience.com
Some IMAX theatres are refusing to show movies that mention evolution or the Big Bang because of protests by religious groups who say the ideas contradict the Bible.

While the number of protests is small -- perhaps a dozen or fewer IMAX theaters -- the effect could be significant because only a few dozen IMAX theatres exhibit science documentaries, according to an article Saturday in The New York Times.

The bans, occurring mostly in the South, could affect decisions about whether to even produce some science documentaries in the first place, the article states.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

People always talk about censorship in America. Well, this is a great example of it. Separation of Church and State was a great idea, but I guess, it does not apply any longer. If religious groups protest hard enough, they can change many things.

Related News Links:
www.livescience.com
www.livescience.com
www.livescience.com
www.livescience.com

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Some of the IMAX theatres are refusing to show movies that talk about evolution because of protests by religious groups

#ing. God damned. Morons.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I though that movies in theaters are paid by the people that chose to see the movie, so how in the heck somebody else get to dictate what you can pay to see or not.

I guess we have been treated like children now.
That is fine with me, hey just wait when it comes in for rental that will save you money.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is so stupid it's not funny.

I honestly hope that you Americans can overcome these intrusions into science and continue to maintain the scientific research to better humanity.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It sounds to me like it's an economic issue. You can't force people to pay for something they don't want to see because it conflicts with their beliefs.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
SO, Boycott IMAX theaters. Thats what they deserve. Walk in thru the front door and say "Hey, wait, is this IMAX?..see you later"
You'll see how fast they change their minds.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
OOOps Double post

[edit on 21-3-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
if you don't want to see a movie like this because it is against the Bible, don't see it...

don't protest it and then ruin it for everyone...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Its that easy to shut down a film now?
Guess they better shut down PBS and any other channel that shows science programs.
This is ridicules. Everyone who thinks this is foolishness should write a letter to the IMAX people.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
The quote given in the linked article is a misquote from the original New York Times article. There have been no protests, only theaters that rejected it fearing they'd offend their audience.

The number of theaters rejecting such films is small, people in the industry say - perhaps a dozen or fewer, most in the South. But because only a few dozen Imax theaters routinely show science documentaries, the decisions of a few can have a big impact on a film's bottom line - or a producer's decision to make a documentary in the first place. (Emphasis Mine)

Source: Original New York Times Article

As I said before, I see it as an economic issue. The theaters don't want to screen these movies because they wouldn't be profitable and it's being blamed on Christians.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
djohnsto77,

Interesting point, you got there, perhaps they are just doing that, or it could something else behind, like the owner is just a religious anti evolutionist.

I bet is more to the story.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Yea seems like some misquotes I see nothing about protests. Businesses have a right to cater to their patrons. If someplace feels there is not a market for a particular thing, they probably won't sell it.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Censorship? How about plain old dollar$? Religion gets banned here- that's O.K. Now evolution gets a hit and it's a 'sin?' (pun intended) Can't have it both ways folks. Religious people want their say just as much as the non-religious.

Star Wars wasn't protested- why? It doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. Evolution is speculation. It is using convenient theories and examples to mold and fit an argument. Religion isn't a whole lot different.

Where was your (the supporters of evolution) outrage when The Passion of the Christ was being banned?

Why the big wail anyway? The volcano movie was pure speculation based on guesswork and theory. Sure it would be interesting, but Star Wars was interesting also.

IMAX- aren't they supported by public money- you know, tax dollar$? Some are at least. Would anyone complain if public money were spent showing Nazi extermination movies or date rape videos? How about snuff films at public theaters paid for with tax dollar$, would that be O.K.?

Censorship is nothing new. It only bothers us when something we believe in is affected.

I love this argument (taken from one of the reporter's links:

Scientists now believe that there is an intrinsic logic to our reality, that there are absolutes, laws of nature. Much remains a mystery, and as one question is answered, many others arise.

Scientists now believe . . .

Think about that. Tax dollar$ are used to teach as an absolute a belief system that is still based on conjecture and theory. Is it right this year or will it be right in five years? Evolution should be taught. It should be taught as what it is and not what some wished it was.

The volcano film- I didn't see it so I have no idea what statements it postulates. When I took Anthropology 101, Cro-magnon evolved from Neanderthals- yet the absolutes then conflict with the theories of today!

Is this regression?

Onelife.com site
Late evidence in a study of the DNA from fossil remains seem to indicate that the neandertal was not assimilated into the gene pool of modern man.

Paleontological Museum, Norway
They are rather similar to modern humans (Homo sapiens sapiens) but they are considered to be a unique species, Homo neanderthalensis. DNA anaysis will throw more light on the relationship between Neandertals and modern man.

From Paleos.com

So where does this leaves us?

Probably nowhere- we are on a journey to discover. During our travels perhaps we can discover the forces that cause so much discontent and discord (the conspiracies) or maybe we will succumb to those forces. After all, we will be in good company either way.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Actually that quote on Neanderthals doesn't say anything new.

It has always being speculated that Neaderthals were killed by the forefathers of humanity. There were a different species to us.

The only question that we want to ask is whether or not we cross-bred with neanderthals.

If i can remember correctly, they were 3 strains of humanity and we are part of the strain that prevailed.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
Where was your (the supporters of evolution) outrage when The Passion of the Christ was being banned?

Who says they weren't outraged? Some people do believe in creationism and evolution.
Who says it's only 'evolution supporters' that are outraged on this topic?
Our society is not divided by evolution/creationism. At least I don't feel that way.

The Passion was being banned mostly because of a perceived anti-Semitic theme. I did see the movie on it's opening night, and I didn't get that from the movie.

It was banned in Malaysia, although they lifted the ban only allowing Christian to watch it. Malaysia bans all kinds of movies including Daredevil, Saving Private Ryan, and Schindler's List (by the way where was your outrage when that movie was banned? See how it goes both ways?)

China being officially atheist since 2002 had banned the movie due spirituality content. But we all know about the humanity troubles there.

I don't see how Imax rejecting science shows can be compared to the banning of the passion in some countries (not North America).

I certainly would not want The Passion of the Christ, Schindler's List, or Scientific movies banned.
Any film that is banned (other than films that break our laws) is a problem.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
are you aware the rest of the world, that's right...the WHOLE world, cannot fathom this nonsense. Do you realise how much trouble the Land of the Free is in?

[edit on 22-3-2005 by bookie]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Really, I don't see the problem.

When did movie theatres lose the right to chose which films they show? Nobody is censoring anything.

Like someone else said - it's all about the dollar. If IMAX had thought they would make money, they'd be showing the movie.

Don't misunderstand - I belong to the "If you don't want to see the movie, don't go" club, but this is a business decision, not censorship.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
If religious groups protest hard enough, they can change many things.

Also wanted to add - anybody can change things if they protest hard enough. This is not restricted to certain groups.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
poor imax.cant they just show a movie anymore.well sceince and religion go head to head on what to be learned and seen by the public.i would hope we dont go back to the dark ages.galileo was put in prison because of what he knew and invented the telescope.

" Italian astronomer and mathematician who was the first to use a telescope to study the stars; demonstrated that different weights descend at the same rate; perfected the refracting telescope that enabled him to make many discoveries (1564-1642) [syn: Galileo, Galileo Galilei]"

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Goos find.

IMO - What the puppeteers really don't anyone to put together is the evolution of microbes - a reality that FAR surpasses terrorism in clear and present danger to the American people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join