It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid, the Nocebo Effect and Stress Related Symptoms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2021 @ 11:02 PM
link   
So somewhat in continuation of my earlier thread on general reasons and evidence that I believe contributes ti the idea that covid is overblown, I had another thought,.well two actually.

The first is, the nocebo effect during covid and the other is the effect of stress and large amounts of cortisol coursing through the population during the covid pandemic.

To start with, the nocebo effect.

For those who are unaware, the nocebo effect is the opposite of the placebo effect which is essentially the idea that belief in a placebo can have actual positive effects, the nocebo effect is essentially the opposite, where the belief in negative effects leads to actual negative effects.

The nocebo effect

As crazy as it seems, there is actually a large body of research showing both the nocebo and placebo effect can have actual real world effects on patient outcomes and can even cause symptoms to manifest for no apparent cause.

As in, a patient's beliefs can cause either beneficial progress on a disease or cause symptoms when no actual disease exists.

www.health.harvard.edu...

www.healthline.com...

Even extreme cases such as a belief in voodoo causing death.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

The other idea I had kicking around was about stress sickness.

www.sciencedaily.com...

High levels of chronic stress leads to high levels of cortisol in the body.

Cortisol sometimes known as the stress hormone, is a hormone released in.the bodies of many mammals, including humans, that essentially induces the fight or flight response during stressful situations. A burst of cortisol allows us to act quickly and decisively to threats and stress and has a bunch of effects on our bodies.

In times of yore, humans mostly would experience this in short bursts, things like, a lion is about to eat your face, oh #. In modern times, we experience much more long term chronic stress. Our bodies react the same to, oh # a lion is going to eat my face' as they do to, 'oh # I'm gonna lose my job' or 'oh # I'm terrified of the rona.'

Research has shown however, that while cortisol can help us in stressful events like 'oh #, a lion's going to eat my face.' Long term chronic stress caused by things like 'Oh # the rona's gonna get me.' And 'Oh #, I've got no job I'm screwed.' Has all kinds of not so good effects on our bodies, such as chronic inflammation which itself has been associated with [heart disease, diabetes, cancer, arthritis, and bowel diseases like Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. , but also coldlike and a variety of symptoms, some chronic.

So this one is definitely more speculation and I wouldn't mind hearing some perspective on this, because I couldn't really find much research on it but, but what are some thoughts on the possibility of some of the more obscure symptoms in a minority of covid cases or such things as 'long covid' being potentially linked to either existing in a state of constant stress for a year or more or even to those that believe strong enough, something related to the nocebo effect caused by the intensity of their fear?
edit on 13/4/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Your post are spot on.
stress is taking 2200 lives a month here in suicidal thoughts .

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 12:52 AM
link   
100% our thoughts are so much more powerful than most realize....

This is tapping into some real valuable important stuff....

I believe one of the absolute best things we can all do is practice mindfulness and meditation....

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Yeah i've heard Japan's had some big issues with suicides this year. It's been far more of an issue than covid over there from my understanding of the situation.

www.bbc.com...

All i've really heard are MSM reports on it but from the reports, November 2020 saw more suicide deaths in Japan than covid deaths over the entire year and the majority of these suicides overall came mostly after lockdowns started after olympic worries?

Sorry, i'm not sure how accurate this is, this is just what i've heard of the situation in Japan.

a reply to: GoShredAK

I believe one of the absolute best things we can all do is practice mindfulness and meditation....

I agree with this also. It's definitely one of the most helpful things you can do when dealing with any situation in life, physical or mental.
edit on 13/4/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 04:37 AM
link   

this summer people.most likely drink too much liquior.
Women suicides are out pacing covid deaths in some prefectures.

new businesses are opening, but they seem to be on the franchise side.
me, l said the hell with it 8 days ago and hopped on my cross bike to tpur japan and l no far from 70 too.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 05:16 AM
link   

The lockdowns, all the negativity and 24/7 fear programming also causes mental health issues, such as depression and chronic anxiety etc... These don’t just go away once the perceived danger passes, it can take years to work through for some people.

I see it on people’s faces when I’m out and about. Then there are those that don’t want to go back to normal, mollycoddled with ‘free’ money and binging on Netflix or whatever at home they have lost the sense of self responsibility.

It’s been a huge psy op from the start. Consider social distancing, why not call it physical distancing? That’s what we were supposed to do, but social distancing implies cutting yourself off from people, as social creatures this has a huge impact on us and also makes us more malleable to suggestion a.k.a mind control.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I have to agree with you.

I did some pretty messed up stuff in the army over 20 years.

I spent last night on my kitchen floor. Drunk and crying while my wife tried to help.

I've always had PTSD issues but this covid crap has made it very acute...

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 35Foxtrot

off topic.but three supersonic jets flew over.
something might be cooking in north korea or just night training

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
a reply to: 35Foxtrot

off topic.but three supersonic jets flew over.
something might be cooking in north korea or just night training

Could be, I guess, but I think someone I know would have said something about it while we are constantly drunk...

But, that said, Joe needs a war to secure his "legacy," so could be.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I agree with this also. It's definitely one of the most helpful things you can do when dealing with any situation in life, physical or mental

Much easier said than done but absolutely....

I would take it even farther and say rather than just coping with a given situation....

With enough practice we may even be able to control the outcome...

Peace ✌ I like the thread op!

new topics

top topics

join