It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 10 Dead In Minn. School Rampage Updated

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
A high school student opened fire in a Minnesota school today killing 8. Three students, a teacher, a security guard and the shooter himself are those dead, along with 2 adults off campus believed to be the shooters grandparents. 14 others were wounded during the rampage.

cbsnews.com
CBS/AP) A rampage by a Minnesota high school student has left eight people dead, and at least 14 wounded.

An FBI spokesman said at least eight people have died after a high school opened fire at high school. Dead are the shooter, three other students; a female high school teacher; a security guard; and two adults off-campus, believed to be the shooter's grandparents.

Tom Lyons, chief deputy for Beltrami County, said up to 14 people were injured in the mid-afternoon shooting at Red Lake High School in far northern Minnesota.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Details are sketchy at this point, and information isn't being released. It is believed that the high school student killed his grandparents before coming to school and shooting his classmates, teacher, and security guard.

The reservation of Red Lake High School has been closed off and been locked down. The estimated number of those killed has not been confirmed with the FBI as they are not releasing exact numbers. A local fire department director, Roman Stately, has been quoted as confirming that the gunman was a student and that he had several weapons, Stately believes that the student did kill his grandparents before coming to school, but again, this has not yet been confirmed.

*UPDATE*
According to the reports the student shot his grandparents before going to school and shooting 4 students, a teacher, and a security guard. The grandparents later died. Students were heard pleading with the gunman asking him to stop as he grinned and waved the gun around.

The grandfather, identified, but not confirmed, is stated as being Daryl Lussier, an officer with the Red Lake Police Department. It is thought that one or more of Lussier's weapons may have been used in the shootings.

This is being said as being the nations worst shootings since Columbine, which took place in 1999

UPDATE
YahooNews is now reporting that there are 10 confirmed dead in this tragedy.

news.yahoo.com
RED LAKE, Minn. - A high school student went on a shooting rampage on this Indian reservation Monday, killing his grandparents at their home and then seven people at his school, "grinning and waving" as he fired, authorities and witnesses said. The gunman was later found shot to death.

It was the nation's worst school shooting since the Columbine massacre in 1999.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related News Links
abcnews.go.com
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 21-3-2005 by deeprivergal]

[edit on 22-3-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 23-3-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

An FBI spokesman said at least eight people have died after a high school opened fire at high school

Whilst the actual situation is rather grim and disturbing, this typo in the report from CBS makes it sound like two Schools have gone to war...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Are they like trying to copy the columbine incident?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It is a Indian Res School and I bet it wont get very much coverage on National News. Kind of like when you do not hear about the black or hispanic kids that get abducted.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by factfinder38
It is a Indian Res School and I bet it wont get very much coverage on National News. Kind of like when you do not hear about the black or hispanic kids that get abducted.

FYI, this news is front page on fox, cnn, msnbc and even the bbc. With a shoting as tragic as this, the fact that this took place on a reservation is a moot point. Shame on you for playing the race card and accusing our government and media to turning a blind eye at this tragedy. Let's restate what happened: 8 people were SHOT today at a SCHOOL, not exactly page 2 material. Our prayers go with the families of the victims.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This sort of thing is tragic. It is really too bad that such things happen. However it could be worse, I mean at least the Checnyans haven't taken kids hostage. Of course this sort of thing makes me wonder, how come we only started to take bullying seriously after Columbine?
Why are high schoolers allowed to drive a student to such lenghts? There is a source to this tragity, and most likely bullying was the culprit.

Anyhow my thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
$5 dollars says the person was on Ritalin or a similar psychiatric medication (and please do not insult my intelligence by saying that he already was nuts and the Ritalin or whatever was "there to help him". If it was helping him, he wouldn't have murdered those people).

Remember what Cooper said in Behold a Pale Horse about all the killings having to do with psychiatric meds? I agree with him.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Woah, how many mass shooting incidents does that make so far this year? Four or five? I know it's not a rare occurrence in the US but isn't this way above average? (By mass shooting I mean more than two or three people being shot).

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This truly makes me sad. I am a 10th grade student at Laguna Creek High School. Last year we almost had an attack but they stopped it. High school these days is so troubling for people. I hate to sound immature when I say this but our school really is full of haters. It makes me sick that people though would be pushed over the edge to do this. All the violence that the youth of my generation are immersed in really is sickening. I was recently caught in a gang cross fire two weeks ago. I wasnt significantly injured other than a bullet wound to the hip. What made sad the most was that the shooter was trying to shoot at a crowd full of people trying to make himself look good. I now can speak for almost all high school students that we all need therapy. What this kid was thinking I can only imagine. He had to have been picked on and not had a great life at home. Isnt that the familar story of every incident like this? The shooters were the outcasts at school and always being picked on. Please if you are a student in school please show kindness and empathy to these students. and Please parents that are on this site sit down with your child and try to talk to them with about situations like this. We can stop incidents like this with an act of kindness.

Thank you

The Navajo Prophet

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Schools are like prisons, nowadays. That is prettymuch the problem, right there- you have a harsh environment, a thriving black market trade, lots of agression, and a well-defined heirarchy. Well, as their say, s*** flows downhill, and the kids at the bottom can only take so much...you gotta figure they'd try to strike back eventually. The school system really needs to be rethought.

DE

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Yeah, it's sad that another nut case killed innocent kids. I too suspect he was on drugs. Though it made headlines on major media news today, I'm glad they refrained for doing a live show like they did during the Columbine ordeal. Though more likely they didn't have time to get there before it was over.

Apearently the guy not only used borrowed police weapons, but he showed up at school that day in a borrowed police car. The ultimate dream of a real punk to become a police officer and get back at those who harrased him in school.

I can remember guys similiar to that (but not completely nuts) in school & I always wonder when I get pulled over when one of them will show up at my window with a grin.

[edit on 22-3-2005 by outsider]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
Apearently the guy not only used borrowed police weapons, but he showed up at school that day in a borrowed police car. The ultimate dream of a real punk to become a police officer and get back at those who harrased him in school.

Yeah, I heard on cnn.com that his father was a member of the force, which was where he got both the gun and the car (after murdering him).

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Megalodon
$5 dollars says the person was on Ritalin or a similar psychiatric medication (and please do not insult my intelligence by saying that he already was nuts and the Ritalin or whatever was "there to help him". If it was helping him, he wouldn't have murdered those people).

Remember what Cooper said in Behold a Pale Horse about all the killings having to do with psychiatric meds? I agree with him.

Let's not jump to such conclusions.
Many many many people are on ritalin, dexamphetamine and similar medicins without ever killing people, there can be numerous reasons for what happened.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Guns, guns, guns, guns.. (hey this could be the new national anthem for the US).

Surely if all the kids had had a gun at school they could have defended themselves... isn't that how the argument goes?

Oh dear...

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Dr_Deelish Ok lets just watch and see if it gets the same coverage for so long and I must say you could be correct. I am just comparing this to how you never hear about bad things that happen to minorities like you do white people and that is a fact.I can see that and I am white and it makes me ill,that is why I do not trust the media to cover this in a even way to other crimes of the same type.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko
Let's not jump to such conclusions.
Many many many people are on ritalin, dexamphetamine and similar medicins without ever killing people, there can be numerous reasons for what happened.

The amount of children who kill other children who are on mentally-altering drugs is astounding. The great thing is that the psychiatrists can get away scot-free by saying "yes, such a tragedy we couldn't get to him/her sooner". That's why the New Freedom Commission is guiding the ever so gullible Bush into mandatory screenings for every American, with particular focus on children (even down to preschoolers).

I understand why parents do it, drugging your child is a lot easier than fessing up to being a negligent parent or raising him properly in the first place.

That's my opinion. To each his own.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
Guns, guns, guns, guns.. (hey this could be the new national anthem for the US).

Surely if all the kids had had a gun at school they could have defended themselves... isn't that how the argument goes?

Oh dear...

Well maybe at your next protest you can protest the police having guns, after all if the police didn't have guns this kid wouldn't have killed anyone and maybe if we took the police cars away this kid would have never made it to school with a car load of guns.

Yes, maybe if someone else did have a gun at school there would be a few more kids alive today.

If we only let licenced chef's own operate knives just think how many less stabbings there would be. Oh what a perfect would it would be. An if we take cars away from the people just think about how many less people die in car wrecks..

Oh my.....

[edit on 22-3-2005 by outsider]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I have to say that I don't really think this is about guns.

This is about a troubled young man whose grandparents(I believe he was living with them) either didn't see the signs or were too concerned with other matters concerning him or well, grandparents raising a teenager can't be easy. Though it was his grandfather and his grandfather's girfriend.

We don't know what was going on at home and this from the cbs article:

Relatives told the newspaper his father committed suicide four years ago, and that his mother was living in a Minneapolis nursing home because she suffered brain injuries in a car accident.

I would think this young man was seriously troubled. So again i don't think this is about guns but a troubled young man.

I was raised with guns, shot my first gun when I was eight, have owned guns most of my life. I have never gone on a killing spree, never carried a weapon when i shouldn't be and I certainly don't shoot at anything with a pulse.

I was raised with firearms under adult supervision.

If he hadn't had access to guns he would have most likely found something else to kill with.

If you read the articles it's easy to tell he was troubled and I'm sure the kids at school didn't help the situation and also we don't know what his home life was like.

The article also stated he already was being home schooled because of a threat he had made towards the reservation high school.

IMO as always

Spiderj

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
here is the newest info:

the shooter WAS a member of ATS!!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Apparently he frequented many sites, and was far more prolific on the ones mentioned in other press stories...

Our thoughts and sympathies are with the victims and their families in this tragedy....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join