It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Mario Bros’ Speedrun Record Beaten After 2 Years

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Dude using the keyboard in and of itself is cheating. It's much easier to use a keyboard than to use an NES controller.

a reply to: MykeNukem

Personally, I agree with Alien Abduct, and I don't give a crap what the official rules state. This is just an opinion. We're not here to authenticate on behalf of Guinness World Records.

Using the keyboard, the speed and the length/height/distance of a complete jump, all seem the same.

But with the partial jumps, he seems to have much more control with choosing precisely how high he wants to jump, than you would have if using the original controller.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just old school, but that's my opinion.

Rules aside, I disagree.

They both use mechanical buttons.

You press or depress the button. The actions and result are identical, that's why they are allowed.

Although, for reasons of aesthetics, I totally agree. I like watching speedruns using all the original kit much better.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

You press or depress the button. The actions and result are identical, that's why they are allowed.

Although, for reasons of aesthetics, I totally agree. I like watching speedruns using all the original kit much better.

What would be truly impressive, would be if this guy was using an old school controller that

• rattles when you shake it (from the potato chip crumbs inside)
• has buttons that stick (from having soda spilled on them.. a few times)
• and you have to hold it at a certain angle to make sure the wire doesn't short out and momentarily stop functioning

if he could get this time under those conditions, now that would be something to brag about.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 09:09 AM
link   

a reply to: Alien Abduct

The Rules state otherwise. A keyboard with mechanical buttons is the same as an NES brick controller. No advantage from it at all.

Speedruns.com

Approved hardware/software (please specify in the run comment):
NES Categories
Original NES, Famicom or FDS
Original NES or Famicom with Everdrive or Powerpak
Wii, Wii U, Switch and 3DS Virtual Console, GameBoy Advance
FCEUX, Nestopia, Bizhawk, OpenEMU
Frontends used in conjunction with these emulators that can alter the performance (ex. RetroArch) are not permitted
NES Classic Edition
Analogue NT Mini
SNES Categories
Original SNES or Super Famicom
Original SNES or Super Famicom with Super Everdrive or SD2SNES
Wii All-Stars Rerelease
Snes9x or Bizhawk
Frontends used in conjunction with these emulators that can alter the performance (ex. RetroArch) are not permitted
If you do not see a specific platform on this list, then it is not permitted.

Global Rules
Game audio must be present in the recording for the duration of the run.
All times require a video on a publicly visible site. YouTube and Twitch are fine. Personal storage sites such as Google Drive and Dropbox are discouraged. If the videos are removed or no longer accessible, the run is subject to removal from the leaderboard.
Anything that you cannot do with an original and unmodified NES, brick controller and SMB1 cartridge is prohibited. Including but not limited to:
Turbo
L + R
Savestates
Altering the game speed (FPS)
Using a bad ROM (missing title screen, different graphics, etc.)
You may be asked to provide us additional data upon request to assist us in our verification process. Splits, input files (if applicable), entire attempt sessions and local recordings mostly cover what we'd ask for and it's a good idea to hang on to those.

Do some homework next time and Deny Ignorance.

LoL thats their rules, great, it's their little competition they can make their own rules. But it won't change the fact that a keyboard has an advantage over controllers because the keyboard is simply easier to use.

Anyone that plays X Box or Playstation knows that the keyboarders have a big advantage over the game controllers. This fact is why most competitive games don't even allow keyboards to be used against controllers unless a certain game mode is selected. Zero cross in competition.

SOURCE

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Dude using the keyboard in and of itself is cheating. It's much easier to use a keyboard than to use an NES controller.

Personally, I agree with Alien Abduct, and I don't give a crap what the official rules state. This is just an opinion. We're not here to authenticate on behalf of Guinness World Records.

Using the keyboard, the speed and the length/height/distance of a complete jump, all seem the same.

But with the partial jumps, he seems to have much more control with choosing precisely how high he wants to jump, than you would have if using the original controller.

Rules aside, I disagree.

It deserves a little * next to the speed run denoting it was performed via an emulator and keyboard. You might not care, but millions of gamers do.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I kind of agree. I can do wall jumps in super metroid on a keyboard every time no problem. With a SNES controller or even my 8bitdo sn controller, I find it more difficult and mess up the timing more.

Then again, I can't play hollow Knight with a keyboard at all, whereas, I've 112%ed the game with a controller.
edit on 10/4/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808

Rules aside, I disagree.

It deserves a little * next to the speed run denoting it was performed via an emulator and keyboard. You might not care, but millions of gamers do.

It doesn't work that way.

The competition it is under makes the rules.

This is common knowledge in the speedrun world.

I'm just the messenger bro...

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   

The Rules state otherwise. A keyboard with mechanical buttons is the same as an NES brick controller. No advantage from it at all.

Speedruns.com

NES Categories
NES Classic Edition
Analogue NT Mini
SNES Categories
Wii All-Stars Rerelease
Snes9x or Bizhawk

Global Rules
All times require a video on a publicly visible site. YouTube and Twitch are fine. Personal storage sites such as Google Drive and Dropbox are discouraged. If the videos are removed or no longer accessible, the run is subject to removal from the leaderboard.
Anything that you cannot do with an original and unmodified NES, brick controller and SMB1 cartridge is prohibited. Including but not limited to:
Turbo
L + R
Savestates
You may be asked to provide us additional data upon request to assist us in our verification process. Splits, input files (if applicable), entire attempt sessions and local recordings mostly cover what we'd ask for and it's a good idea to hang on to those.

LoL thats their rules, great, it's their little competition they can make their own rules. But it won't change the fact that a keyboard has an advantage over controllers because the keyboard is simply easier to use.

Anyone that plays X Box or Playstation knows that the keyboarders have a big advantage over the game controllers. This fact is why most competitive games don't even allow keyboards to be used against controllers unless a certain game mode is selected. Zero cross in competition.

SOURCE

If we were talking about XBOX or PS, then you'd have a point.

We aren't though, and the rules state what they state.

Go bitch at the rulemakers, not me.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 12:25 PM
link   

What would be truly impressive, would be if this guy was using an old school controller that

• rattles when you shake it (from the potato chip crumbs inside)
• has buttons that stick (from having soda spilled on them.. a few times)
• and you have to hold it at a certain angle to make sure the wire doesn't short out and momentarily stop functioning

if he could get this time under those conditions, now that would be something to brag about.

LMAO.

Ah, the glory days.

Miss the squeak of that Atari joystick.

The new wireless ones just aren't the same.

Didn't everyone have the shady AF RF converter that looked like it was something from the Soviets?

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Speedruns.com

NES Categories
NES Classic Edition
Analogue NT Mini
SNES Categories
Wii All-Stars Rerelease
Snes9x or Bizhawk

Global Rules
Turbo
L + R
Savestates

SOURCE

So speedruns.com is the end all be all right? LMFAO

Well they make up their own rules so I guess I will too.

Rule #1. DO IT WITH AN ORIGINAL CONTROLLER.

Rule #2. DO IT WITH AN ORIGINAL CONTROLLER.

Rule #3. SEE RULES 1&2

F**K Speedruns.com

Look I can dunk a higher hoop than you.

"But you have on spring shoes!"

Well speedruns.com says it doesn't break the rules so piss off.

LAME!

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 01:20 PM
link   
How can a keyboard be cheating? I'd understand if we were talking about COD, but It's literally only one button being pressed repeatedly and the other held down.

Anyways, thanks for sharing.

And what was the previous record, I wonder?

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

With a keyboard!

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

I feel like the keyboard makes a game like this harder not easier.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Speedruns.com

NES Categories
NES Classic Edition
Analogue NT Mini
SNES Categories
Wii All-Stars Rerelease
Snes9x or Bizhawk

Global Rules
Turbo
L + R
Savestates

SOURCE

Rule #3. SEE RULES 1&2

F**K Speedruns.com

LAME!

Ok.

Post a rant. Oh wait, you ranted at me instead.

I have nothing to do with the acceptable rules pertaining to speedruns.com or any other site with the same rules (they are all almost the same concerning NES and keyboards.)

I like watching speed runs. That's it.

I'm not a speed run ambassador, or representative of the community.

Hope that clears it up...

BTW - If you think this record is so easy (as spring shoes in dunking), then beat it.

Tell the truth, is this Billy Mitchell?
edit on 4/10/2021 by MykeNukem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 03:58 PM
link   

All I know about that guy is what I saw on the 'King of Kong' documentary. So based on my vast amount of knowledge about him, I feel like if he did have an ATS account, he would use his real name, and his own picture as the avatar.

or maybe I was just looking for a weak excuse to use this Donkey Kong gif... idk

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 04:43 PM
link   
damn that was impressive... dude's got skillz

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Speedruns.com

NES Categories
NES Classic Edition
Analogue NT Mini
SNES Categories
Wii All-Stars Rerelease
Snes9x or Bizhawk

Global Rules
Turbo
L + R
Savestates

SOURCE

Rule #3. SEE RULES 1&2

F**K Speedruns.com

LAME!

Ok.

Post a rant. Oh wait, you ranted at me instead.

I have nothing to do with the acceptable rules pertaining to speedruns.com or any other site with the same rules (they are all almost the same concerning NES and keyboards.)

I like watching speed runs. That's it.

I'm not a speed run ambassador, or representative of the community.

Hope that clears it up...

BTW - If you think this record is so easy (as spring shoes in dunking), then beat it.

Cleared.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
damn that was impressive... dude's got skillz

Dudz before him did it within a few seconds with an original NES controller like it should be done....

When dudez in the Major Baseball League try to use a corked bat or an aluminum bat or a titanium bat they get disqualified, fined, fired..the reason is obvious. Use the same things the past record holders use for an even playing field!

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 10:23 AM
link   

i see you have strong feelings about it, but i'm not a speedrun purist. i think it's interesting whether they're using a keyboard, or using glitches, or using a different language version because the characters load faster. there's all kinds of different ways to do it and categorize it

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

i see you have strong feelings about it, but i'm not a speedrun purist. i think it's interesting whether they're using a keyboard, or using glitches, or using a different language version because the characters load faster. there's all kinds of different ways to do it and categorize it

Yeah, I think it's a complete waste of time unless you do it with the original equipment. It's like "hey everyone look at me I can dunk this hoop with springs on my shoes" and everyone is of course like "not impressed, so many others do it without springs on their shoes".

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Yeah, not impressed at all. Doing it for fun is cool but don't call it a world record.

Do it the way it was done originally or it doesn't count. You can smack home runs all day long with titanium bats for fun but at the end of the day it's just for fun and will not ever count against Barry Bonds. Point, blank, period.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join