It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Crater Help.

page: 1

log in


posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:23 PM
Is there someone on ATS who can help me by explaining how these craters are formed?

This is on the moon.
This one is on Mars.

I was always under the impression that a meteorite would be destroyed from the impact. I don't understand how there is a mass inside the craters like these.

Does anyone know how these were formed?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:28 PM
It's called a Complex Crater, they aren't all that uncommon.

Differences in formation of a simple crater and a complex crater. The central peak of the complex crater is formed as a result of uplift of material stratigraphically beneath the crater, which rebounds in response to compression caused by the impact. From Melosh (1989

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:37 PM
A quick look at the Forum Reference Library could have helped you out. Try this one: Crater Forms

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:44 PM
Great thanks guys.

Sorry, I don't think I've ever looked at your Forum Reference Library. I'm going to go check it out right now.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:04 AM
It's facinating how fluid solid material gets under these extreme contitions. It reminds me of high speed films "slow-motion" of drops of liquid landing. They always produce that trademark rebound droplet in the center.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 07:05 PM
OMG.....the second photo, the one of the Mars crater, looks like a golf ball stuck in it!!?? Seriously that is the oddest crater I've seen in a while! Does it look like there is a 'grid' on that lump to anyone else?

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 07:26 PM
Thats a dune field, in the bottom of that Mars crater.
Opportunity rover gave us a close-up look at a similar dune field
at the bottom of Endurance crater last year.
Here is a false color image of a portion of that dune field..

You can see some criss-crossing ( golf ball dimples?) in this image.

top topics


log in