It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Percy Zaps ... a Meteorite ?

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:44 AM
link   
While preparing for its set piece helicopter event due next Sunday Percy has been taking a look around its new home and has discovered a strange rock , NASA are unsure what it is or where it came from as it's unlike any of the other rocks in the vicinity so hypotheses are being traded.

Anyway to be on the safe side Percy Zapped it , the laser holes can be seen center right (right click image open in new tab)

While the helicopter is getting ready, I can’t help checking out nearby rocks. This odd one has my science team trading lots of hypotheses.

It’s about 6 inches (15 cm) long. If you look closely, you might spot the row of laser marks where I zapped it to learn more.
twitter.com...

No doubt one of the hypotheses being traded is that Percy has found its first Meteorite , Opportunity found a couple but not this early into the mission.
Opportunity Meteorite

What a beautiful thing.

edit on 3-4-2021 by gortex because: add link

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It took me a couple seconds to find it, but I'm pretty sure you're referring to these↓?

ATS Image Link

What's the significance of the marks? What I mean is: Does it leave marks like those on any/all rocks they 'zap', or does this mean that this rock is softer than most others?

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Does it leave marks like those on any/all rocks they 'zap'

A series of samples? Yes.

Curiosity does the same.
www.nasa.gov...
edit on 4/3/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

What's the significance of the marks?

There's a science camera next to the laser so they can analyse the rock when they zap it to determine it's composition.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   

That's beautiful. It has a vitreous and iridescent quality to it. I wonder what the holes are scattered on its surface? Perhaps, they are vents created by trapped liquid that turned gaseous from the heat of entering Mars's atmosphere or after a theoretical impact.

Nice find?

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It's a meteorite. Move along.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Ingenuity Mars Helicopter has been deployed and is awaiting lift off.

touchdown confirmed! Its 293 million mile (471 million km) journey aboard
@NASAPersevere
ended with the final drop of 4 inches (10 cm) from the rover's belly to the surface of Mars today. Next milestone? Survive the night.
twitter.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Must be a thrill to operate this thing. Is it high autonomous? Imagine pushing the wrong button or stick for a second and you know there's not much you can do anymore.

The signal is on it's way and it will be executed. You cannot overtake the command with a different signal because it's behind in time. A few minutes later the transmission comes back how you flipped the thing.

Because someone shoved a coffee mug aside.

posted on Apr, 8 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   
NASA have unlocked the rotor blades in preparation for a slow sin which I guess will take place tomorrow , gif in the link below of the rotors moving.
twitter.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2021 @ 01:22 PM
link   
They should send a copter to go blow off opportunities solar panels.

posted on Apr, 8 2021 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Imagine how old that thing is.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Must be a thrill to operate this thing. Is it high autonomous? Imagine pushing the wrong button or stick for a second and you know there's not much you can do anymore.

The signal is on it's way and it will be executed. You cannot overtake the command with a different signal because it's behind in time. A few minutes later the transmission comes back how you flipped the thing.

Because someone shoved a coffee mug aside.

I think they have already sent the directions to the copter a week or 2 back.
The copter has recieved the instructions and is now just waiting for the "go" signal-which I think is due to happen tomorrow (sunday 11th april).
I don't think there is any way to change the flight path once its in the air-due to the time delay like you mentioned.

Maybe in the future they could create a quantuum entangled controller which would allow the copter to be controlled from earth in real time.That would be cool.

That is a cool looking rock though-It reminded me of those shells (mother of pearl?)with the iridescent look.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
Imagine how old that thing is.

Almost all meteorites are ~4.5 Billion years old as their origin is the asteroid belt.

Exceptions on Earth are our lunar meteorites which are 3 Billion to 4.5 Billionyears old.

These are material dates, not exposure dates.
edit on 10-4-2021 by charlyv because: s

top topics

join