It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today Is Marvin Pentz Gaye's Birthday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Todat is the birthday of Marvin Pentz Gaye, ATS. If he were still alive, he'd be 89 years old. He had a dramatic impact on the music industry of his time and, some could argue, on the music industry of today. He was shot by his father after trying to intervene in a fight between his father and his mother in 1984; one day before his birthday.

Today marks what would have been Marvin Gaye’s 82nd birthday. Born on April 2, 1939 in Washington D.C., the legendary soul singer, songwriter and producer died tragically at the hands of his own father a day before his 45th birthday on April 1, 1984. Marvin possessed one of the most versatile and expressive voices in music, sometimes joyous and crooning, sometimes with a tinge of sadness, always instantly recognizable.

Marvin began his musical journey singing in church at an early age and later found moderate success with various vocal groups in the late 1950s in Chicago. A singing sextet he was in, Harvey and the New Moonglows, sang back up on the Chuck Berry songs “Back In The U.S.A.” and “Almost Grown.” But the group disbanded and Gaye relocated to Detroit where he impressed Motown founder Berry Gordy after performing at a holiday party Gordy hosted in 1960. Gordy later signed Gaye to the Motown subsidiary Tamla Records.

What a sad life. Apparently, he was drowning in debt before he started having commercial success in the music industry. He started performing around 1956 and he didn't make any significant waves in the industry until around 1962. From what I've read about him, he'd always had a strained relationship with his father which culminated in the fatal shot which ended his life in 1984. Not everyone will like him or his music, I get that.
However, I want to note his birthday and his contribution to music here on his birthday. So, what say you, ATS?

www.jambase.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2-4-2021 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Not sure why the media encoder posted the same song. It's supposed to be different songs. Will try to fix it.

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Let's try this:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 03:33 PM
link   

And this:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Here's another

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Let's do one more

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Cooler than cool he was. He, Curtis Mayfield, and Shuggie Otis have done a lot for me this last year.

Marvin Gaye was the MAN

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: slatesteam

Yes, I agree! Marvin was the man! I've been listening to his music and I really like what I'm hearing. Some songs I'd heard before but didn't know it was him. He was a very versatile artist and he made some great music.

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Marvin was well ahead of his time.....

top topics

join