It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urban Survivalism- Thoreau, 21st century style

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
Cug

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Some of you might be interested in Abbie Hoffman's Steal this book.

There is a copy of it here www.tenant.net...

It's a bit dated to say the least but if you want to "stick it to the man" you might find it interesting.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I read a lot of that when I was younger. Unfortunately almost none of it works anymore- at least from the parts I read. Some of it probably never would have worked unless you were pretty dang lucky I'm afraid

It was interesting though. For the most part "sticking it to the man" is one of those things where 1. you have to be sure your motives are pure. 2. be sure its really the man you're sticking it to.
Im my humble opinion, phreaking was a legitimate act of rebellion back when Bell was raping customers for long distance.
On the other hand, if you shoplift a candy bar because abbie hoffman says the stores account for that as "inventory shrinkage" I think that's still just petty theft.
Also I believe steal this book includes an idea for drawing free gas from the tanks in a gas station. You'd just be stealing from that station owner, and my grandfather who owned a Texaco says that the little guy is barely taking a profit at all.
If you want to stick it to the man these days, I recommend kidnapping politicians for ransom- otherwise the company's just pass the "stick" on to the consumer. (i assure all of you snitches that I'm talking about people like Fidel Castro, not American politicians.)

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

by Vagabond: The point in the end is simply that the things that are supposed to be a boon to our quality of life have ended up being instruments of control over us.
I think that to the greatest extent practical (where ever that mind fall) it would be very interesting to experiment with ways of disengaging from the controls of the government and society by cutting back any and all spending that is not vitally necessary.

You are so right my friend. Life is much less stressful when you have so few things to worry about. Just the basics... modest place to life, modest amount of clothing, and modest eating. I have sometimes found it challenging. Cooking natural vegetables/meats are much less expensive than ready made dinners. Better health wise too.

When the blizzard is blowing up, I look outside and be thankful that I don't have a car to drive to work in these stressful condition. lol I am sure you will come up with your ideas.

by Vagabond: If indeed the government began reaching into our lives in unacceptable ways, debt and employment would be the chains than bound us to them.

This is the biggest key to everything. Do not be in debt! Pay cash for everything. Debt is a strangle hold on any kind of freedom.

I really don't know much about the NWO, but it seems as though these kinds of preparations would be great.

[edit on 22-3-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Nice idea, but why not think outside the square a bit.

A car will get traked down in no time once they find out its you and you need somewhere to register it.

But how about a Boat? If you are the sea faring type, some of those yachts can be pretty comfortable (expensive, but a modest one will be cheaper than a house) and if you dont like where you are, just sail somewhere else, and dont forget good old international waters where no one can get you
(well not legally anyway).

Register it somewhere dodgy like Panama and your off. Bribery will get you everywhere in most parts of the world.

Not into boats? Well neither am I, but you can easily live somewhere else in the world if you want. Just save up a small warchest in US$$$ and use the good exchange rate to live a comfortable life in another country. South America is good, don't want to learn Spanish or Portugese? Belize is a former British colony and they speak English there. Go somewhere where they don't speak english and you can then become an english teacher to earn money (assuming you haven't any other skills). Freelance with private lessons and cash in hand work and theres some extras $$$.

Even if the third world doesn't appeal to you, try somehwere like Spain, you can teach english there illegally, generally their immigration doesn't care about 'white' people, its the arabs and africans they crack down on. Sure it's blatantly racist but you may as well use it to your advantage. You'll still need a stockpile of cash to do it though. You'd be amazed at how little you can get by on if you really need to.

There are loads of other countries and ideas though. Would make a good adventure and when you get older and need hospitals, write a book on your experiences and retire to 'normal' life again. I know quite a few people who went on wild adventures travelling, wrote a book on it and used the proceeds to fund more adventures!

Maybe this site will help with some ideas.

www.escapeartist.com...

[edit on 22/3/05 by R988]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by R988
But how about a Boat? If you are the sea faring type, some of those yachts can be pretty comfortable (expensive, but a modest one will be cheaper than a house) and if you dont like where you are, just sail somewhere else, and dont forget good old international waters where no one can get you
(well not legally anyway).

Not a bad idea in many respects actually, but as a matter of semantics, the USA recently recognized UN rights over international waters, as have many nations previously. Theoretically, the UN could rule that you are no longer under the flag of your vessel since you are in UN administered territory, and therefore the UN could allow your arrest and extradition. Of course at present that isn't likely unless you are EXTREMELY high profile (and since the USA doesn't recognize the world criminal court I really doubt that this coudl happen to a US citizen), but thats the future I think.

If there was so much heat on me that I had to leave the country, I'd find steal someone's identity and become a missionary to some far off nation under their name- and hopefully never come home. Also, I'm almost sure the French Foreign Legion does identity doctoring in some cases (They no longer disregard ALL backgrounds though) The only bad thing is that you've got serve in the French Foreign Legion for that to work. 99% of the population would be better off in jail I think. Something about the phrase "March or Die" just tells me the cure is worse than the disease there

top topics

<< 1   >>

join