It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finnish astrophotographer J-P Metsavainio's photo of The Milky Way that took 12 years to create.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   
My God, it's full of stars!

This is totally unique, insane and a testament to passion and determination!

The image speaks for itself, enjoy...

--> 6Mb Higher resolution from blog

Individual artworks that went into the final gigapixel photo...

Orientation of the image spans 125° of the sky, from Taurus to Cygnus...

The 1.7-gigapixel image has a cumulative exposure time of 1,250 hours.

Metsavainio began shooting for the project back in 2009. For the next 12 years, he focused on different areas and objects in the Milky Way, shooting stitched mosaics of them as individual artworks. To complete the ultra-high-resolution view of the Milky Way as a whole, Metsavainio then set out to fill in the gaps that weren’t covered by his original artworks.

More info in the article and blog.

Petapixel.com article

And

--> Visit J-P Metsavainio's Blog for some amazing work!

edit on 23-3-2021 by Encia22 because: To the stars and beyond...

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Wow! Looks like there was some sort of explosion!
/s

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

that is epic... what a masterpiece! Thanks for bringing something positive to ATS today

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   

That is way beyond any word I can think of to describe it..
12 years to make one unbelievably awesome image..Thats quite a commitment.
Well worth the effort.

Unfortunatley its making me feel uneasy as it is reinforcing something I have always thought-

That our universe is just part of an unimaginably gigantic being of some sort,and it fractals out:that being is part of another unfathomably larger universe etc etc.

The image looks as though our part of the universe is part of some kind of electro crystaline structure,to me at least.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Anyone who thinks we are alone in this universe is wrong. Anyone who thinks we are alone and also the most intelligent is a moron.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Absolutely... Mind blowing! 🤯

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

and

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Namaste 🙏🏻

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I'm hungry, I'll go with an explosion of a primordial soup!

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Anyone who thinks we are alone in this universe is wrong. Anyone who thinks we are alone and also the most intelligent is a moron.

The evidence as of today Says we are the only one in the universe.

Yes we are the most intelligent since we are the only ones in the universe.

There is as much evidence as unicorns as there is life on any planets outside of earth .

Which is why they keep trying so hard with MARS. Another failed prediction

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Thanks so much for such an erudite statement. But you know, try as I might I cannot find anyone who has actually recently expressed that. Now maybe in the 1500s, sure. Anyone can understand that, but aside from a few fundamentalists stuck in their own sad little world, where have you ever heard this? The one place I have heard this argument is when it is used as a "straw man" argument. That's when someone imagines someone else, the straw man, has expressed a point of view, which you then refute. In fact, the straw man does not exist. It only exists to make you look good in your own mind.

Edit: Or by seedofchucky. (Sigh)
edit on 3/23/2021 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Anyone who thinks the human race will not be wiped out by another alien race is naïve.

That's how nature works

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Wow! Looks like there was some sort of explosion!
/s

I agree.
and far in the future wen all the stars are pull'd in to a
masive block hole in the centre it will blow up Againe!

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: seedofchucky

There is as much evidence as unicorns as there is life on any planets outside of earth .

At least 100 billion stars in the galaxy, at least 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Life exists on Earth, ergo it probably does elsewhere. For there not to be life anywhere else is improbable in the extreme.

And they found fossilized bacteria on Mars. Bacteria is a form of life so there was life, no matter how simple, on Mars at some point in the past.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Fantastic Thread and article, I love stuff like this!

Nothing puts things into perspective than looking up at the Stars.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Anyone who thinks the human race will not be wiped out by another alien race is naïve.

That's how nature works

i dont know, im pretty sure the aliens need us to help genetically manipulate their own genes so they can be as resilient as us.

posted on Mar, 25 2021 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

At least 100 billion stars in the galaxy, at least 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Life exists on Earth, ergo it probably does elsewhere. For there not to be life anywhere else is improbable in the extreme.

And they found fossilized bacteria on Mars. Bacteria is a form of life so there was life, no matter how simple, on Mars at some point in the past.

I don't care if there is a 100 trillion stars and a 100 trillion galaxies .. At this very known moment. We are Alone. Special and guardians of the galaxies ....

Life exists on earth because we are in the goldilox zone. It takes a million things to align perfectly to have life .

Its improbable to the small mind. Its obvious to anyone paying attention

They didn't find fossilized ANYTHING on mars. You are are liar...

There is ZERO evidence of life ever being on mars. ZERO. Which is why they send so many rovers to mars. Scientists have been dead wrong about MARS for decades and they can't rest untill they have found "evidence' . To justify the trillion wasted on mars missions

posted on Mar, 25 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seedofchucky

I don't care if there is a 100 trillion stars and a 100 trillion galaxies .. At this very known moment. We are Alone. Special and guardians of the galaxies ....

Well aren't you a negative and feisty little luddite?

lol

But you're right..."at this moment" we are alone. But that speaks much more to our lack of capabilities in searching than it does for whether or not we are truly alone.

Simply via the laws of probability, we are simply one among many. To think we are somehow special given the enormous vastness of the universe is the height of arrogance and short-sightedness.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 12:16 AM
link   

At this very known moment. We are Alone.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. We can only say that we have not found life elsewhere (yet). We cannot say that it is not there.

Special...

I think we're pretty special, but I don't know that we're unique.

...and guardians of the galaxies ....

Alliterative, but not supported by any commission, evidence or our ability to carry out such a duty.

Life exists on earth because we are in the goldilox zone. It takes a million things to align perfectly to have life .

So, if there are 100 billion planets in the galaxy, life should be on 100,000 of them. That's how arithmetic works.

They didn't find fossilized ANYTHING on mars. You are are liar...

S/he is referring to Allan Hills 84001; a meteorite found in Antarctica, whose origin was traced to Mars. Electron microscopy revealed what appeared to be fossilized bacteria, biofilms and other potential biosignatures.

The news was so big that the NASA administrator and the President of the United States gave a press conference discussing the discovery. However, to confirm that it was life, scientists had to rule-out non-biological causes for the features found. Studies showed that nonbiological phenomenon could have caused all of the features found. So the debate goes on.
This is similar to the experiments conducted by the Viking landers in 1976. Some tests came up positive for life, however the indications could have been caused by non-biological chemistry. In both cases, there is evidence for life, but not conclusive evidence. The scientific consensus is that much more solid evidence - with no possibility of non-biological origin - must be found and tested before we can definitively say that we found life.
Saying there is NO life anywhere else in the universe is unsupported supposition. Science simply says that we have not (as yet) found conclusive evidence of life elsewhere.

There is ZERO evidence of life ever being on mars.

Wrong. See above.

ZERO. Which is why they send so many rovers to mars.

That's a non sequitur.

Scientists have been dead wrong about MARS for decades and they can't rest untill they have found "evidence' . [sic]

How can you say they are wrong? Do you have better evidence that them? For what it's worth, I hope Mars IS dead, so that humanity can live there someday without compromising indigenous life.

To justify the trillion wasted on mars missions

Trillions? In the last 60+ years that NASA has built Mars missions, it has spent less than $20 billion (in 2021 dollars) on the effort.
In. SIXTY. Years.
By comparison, Americans spent more than that on potato chips in the last 3 years.
And why do you call it "wasted"? Not only have we learned a helluva lot, we have also inspired generations of engineers, scientists and explorers. That is a worthwhile investment.
It's certainly where I want my tax dollars to go.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter
a reply to: seedofchucky

Well aren't you a negative and feisty little luddite?

lol

But you're right..."at this moment" we are alone. But that speaks much more to our lack of capabilities in searching than it does for whether or not we are truly alone.

Simply via the laws of probability, we are simply one among many. To think we are somehow special given the enormous vastness of the universe is the height of arrogance and short-sightedness.

Forget out lack of capabilities . If there was life out there as many as they claim then there must be a fraction of them more smart than us. Why havn't they contacted us ?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join