It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Machines Could Turn Homes Into Small Factories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

A revolutionary machine which can make everything from a cup to a clarinet quickly and cheaply could be in all our homes in the next few years.
Research by engineers at the University of Bath could transform the manufacture of almost all everyday household objects by allowing people to produce them in their own homes at the cost of a few pounds.

www.spacedaily.com...

This product looks amazing, think how much money can be saved, and eventually after more development maybe computer/electrical products could be replicated aswell. And on top of this all it can replicate parts of intself to be reassembled!

[edit on 21-3-2005 by rufi0o]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
This seems to be the same basic tech as those machines that allow you to "fax" a design somewhere and have a 3-d plastic version made thanks to a machine. I have seen those on many different shows and I believe those are the "rapid prototype machines" that they mention in this article costing 25,000 pounds. They are very impressive though not very practical for your average person.

Last I heard they could only make plastic but in this article it talks about it making metal objects out of a special alloy that melts at low temperatures. Thats very impressive. It can also open up a whole new world of things these machines can make.

Also the basic concept of these machines making more of themselves or replicating is great and would surely lower the cost of them with sheer numbers. This tech might just tide us over until we get nano tech factories. Nano tech could make use of the same concept to lower cost aswell.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
looks like a whole new business for a 3d-man like myself

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Nevermind turning homes into small factories.

What about turning small businesses into self-sufficient, highly profitable capital generators for the economy?

Imagine what machines such as this could do to make parts, devices or supplies for small business who now rely on suppliers or dealer of same items that currently dig into their bottom line.

Now imagine how these devices could be used in artistic applications and the creation of new sculptures or textured murals or textiles....

Sounds like a whole new realm is about to be opened.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This seems related to this ATSNN news story I posted earlier.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
But can it make beer???

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The placement I worked at over summer had a 3D printer, amazing to watch it working... felt very Star Trecky

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This is it large scale.

www-rcf.usc.edu...

Contour Crafting is a fabrication process by which large-scale parts can be fabricated quickly in a layer-by-layer fashion. The chief advantages of the Contour Crafting process over existing technologies are the superior surface finish that is realized and the greatly enhanced speed of fabrication. The success of the technology stems from the automated use of age-old tools normally wielded by hand, combined with conventional robotics and an innovative approach to building three-dimensional objects that allows rapid fabrication times. Actual scale civil structures such as houses may be built by CC. Contour Crafting has been under development under support from National Science Foundation and Office of Naval Research.

Then you could build the house and all the contents cool

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by rufi0o
A revolutionary machine which can make everything from a cup to a clarinet quickly and cheaply could be in all our homes in the next few years.

Revolutionary?

I already live in my house. I already make what I need. That's why I am called an artist. Of course, it could be argued that an alien species went down this road before- and we are the result.

I know I'm being Luddish. Old-fashioned. But I don't see this tech being under the control of individuals, and I hate to think of the monthly subscription fee for a gimmebox that makes- laptops...

I don't trust, easily.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I can see many people not taking a liking to this. Such as if people were to make their own goods cheaply, that puts many entrepreneurs out of business. To keep a stable economy people need to keep spending.

new topics

top topics

join