It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army to raise recruitment age to 40!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86

Originally posted by bodrul

Originally posted by sigung86
Interesting that some of you are quick to put timidity n the mouths of others. Almost like you're used to putting words in everyone elses mouths to make it all fit your paradigm. Hmmmm?

I'm 56, and had a knee surgery last year. Already told my "Ever lovin' " that I'd go if they need me. If you wanna, put down your keyboard and come work out with me.

then here's your chance

dont forget to write

Dear Bodrul,

Weather is here, wish you were beautiful! It's not like Nam here, you don't have to worry too much about keeping your socks dry. You don't have to try to hold the crap in while you're splitting your way through wet, hot leaves in a cold, cold jungle. It's hotter than Hell during the day, and occasionally, at night, it gets really cold. And if you've never had hot, dry sand riding in your shorts, you don't know what you're missing.

The food sucks when you are out on patrol. Can't stop and have a cig when I want one. Sure miss my recliner and my remote control.... Oh, and I miss my incessant use of the keyboard. I'm sure you're keeping up your and my end of that though.

Most of all, I miss my wife. I didn't meet her until I was way over 40. We have been a comfort to each other, and I love her more than words permit me to describe. Don't think I want to talk about her anymore. Some love and memories of love are dearer for being private. Will just say that she's one Hell of a woman for supporting my goal here. Rightly, or wrongly.

We had a firefight last night. A sudden night attack, ambush to you. The Lieutenant took several AK rounds in the gut. Grizzly way to go Brother. Funny how the weapons of tyrrany haven't changed in 30 years ... We got a couple of them. Seems that, on examination, they're Saudi Nationals. Kind of interesting that they are representatives from a nation of our "allies". Guess it just goes to show you that you can't tell who your friends are. Scared me crapless Bub. I had a hard time poking around the corner to let loose a round or two in their general direction. I don't want to die, anymore than did the Lieutenant or the couple of bad guys that we took out.

Interesting to see the folks, many of who, prior to this, lived in little more than baked mud hovels. They seem, at times to be afraid of us. But I imagine they're just as afraid of the bad guys. Other times, we don't do much wrong. We feed them, our people help them find work. Maybe it's not better than it used to be, but they do have a lot more self determination for themselves now.... And that's something new for them.

Well bodrul, ol' buddy, break time is over. Off and On as they say and back to trying to help a people find a new way in a new world. For better or worse, Little Brother, this is what I believe in, and I guess thats what I am standing for.

I'm afraid that your bad feelings will have to wait, much like my good feelings. Just gonna have to wait and see how the future lays out and whether your right and I'm wrong, or vice-versa, or perhaps, we are both way off kilter....

This letter's postmarked,
Northern Iraq.

Nah bodrul, I haven't been... This little note is based on commo that I get from 3 or 4 students of mine, female and male, who are currently serving or have recently returned from over there. Don't worry Bud! They'll look out for your interest. That's what soldiers do.

Thank you for sharing that. All to often I see and read the anti-everything posts that dominate ATS. Just when I think my search for intelligent ATS life has come to an end, I see a post such as yours. Thanks again, you have made my day!

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Let me get this right....they want to send 40 plus individuals to the war in Iraq and Afganistan or wherever else.... as cannon fodder. How about this, put those 40 something patriots on the U.S Border and in airports as well as the intelligence apparatus of the Army and then you might have some effectiveness.
Why are they only talking about footsoldiers, I think the Departments of State and Defense could use some good 40 something Patriots with common sense....ooh but wait that might displace the arm-chair Neo-cons! Hummmm!

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Don't underestimate what 40 year old troops can do. There are some in Delta and in Army Special Forces aka Green Beret-they don't like being call that.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Don't underestimate what 40 year old troops can do. There are some in Delta and in Army Special Forces aka Green Beret-they don't like being call that.

No disrespect or underestimation meant, however, I would like to see some of more experienced miliitary personell moved to positions of Intelligence! Thats all!
My cousin is 50 and a former Navy Seal.....works for EDS now, but could still kill anything that moves! Glad he's on my side!

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I think the people that are bashing the 'older' soldier idea are truly blind to the true 'soldiers' you could recruit.

There are many retired soldiers who may a specific skill (such as leadership, knowledge and insight) that a 23 y/o west point grad cannot provide. I do not see them using overweight 39 y/o's as cannon fodder, but it does give someone that age who also may have lost his job a chance to maybe learn a new skill and show some partiotism.

Younger kids are also softer than someone in their 30's, who again, has life experience. Maybe they should institute a BigSoldier/Little soldier program

Seriously, don't underestimate an 'old man'. He may turn around and beat your ass.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
negativenihil thanks for the link.

At the heart of this argument over students' records and privacy is the true purpose and meaning of education. Is the goal of education to provide a fertile field of students ripe for the picking by the military which will send them to the front lines of battle, potentially never to return? Is the essence of education to dichotomize the availability of quality education between those with ample finances and those with no financial mobility?

Or is education meant to develop students' minds, hearts and talents through self-discovery and academic exploration? Does education aim to promote critical thinking skills, empathy for others, understanding of individual roles in community service, and a sense of global connectedness? Was education designed to be an equitable opportunity for all students?

Very interesting indeed so people say that the US military isnt short of manpower and yet the US army has rasied the recruitment age and private info is given out like candy.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
lol
i can just imagine the US sending a couple of 56 year olds with a m-16
and a walking stick

Whats even funnier is that those two 56 year olds could probably kick some serious but over there in terror land. Seriously bodrul, if they are trained by the US military then they are deemed militarily capable. Are military dont play around and if you make it through all the training then you are the best regardless of age.

Once again I just want to state my complete appreciation for anyone who serves in the military for my country (USA). I have the upmost respect for them and cannot begin to explain how much it means to me that they lay their lives on the line to help protect mine, my four year old daughter and the rest of my family and fellow Americans.

[edit on 22-3-2005 by csulli456]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Great!

This just increases the breadth of my market.

Though I don't think I'm likely to come across any 39 year olds that are actually qualified for Army service. Oh well...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join