It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army to raise recruitment age to 40!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   

www.washingtonpost.com...

Moreover, military leaders are taking steps to ease stress on the troops by temporarily boosting ranks; rebalancing forces to add badly needed infantry, military police and civil affairs troops; and employing civilians where possible. Yesterday, defense officials worried about recruiting announced that they will raise the age limit, from 34 to 40, for enlistment in the Army Guard and Reserve. The Pentagon is spending billions to repair and replace battle-worn equipment and buy extra armor, radios, weapons and other gear.

Yet such remedies take time, and no one, including senior officials, can predict how long the all-volunteer force can sustain this accelerated wartime pace. Recruiting troubles, especially, threaten the force at its core. But with a return to the draft widely viewed as economically and politically untenable, senior military leaders say the nation's security depends on drumming up broader public support for service.

Well, it now looks as if the upper age limit has been relaxed...

I wonder how many older so-called "warhawks" and "super patriots" will step up to the plate?

[edit on 21-3-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This would have been interesting right after 9/11, when I tried to sign up and found out I was too old

Probably for the best anyway, instead of hunting OBL (why I wanted to enlist), Bush & Co. would have sent me to Iraq to blow away civilians at checkpoints...

I wonder how many older so-called "warhawks" and "super patriots" will step up to the plate?
Want to bet none?
When you're an internet tough guy, it's mush easier to be "brave" with other people's lives.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by xmotex]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well taking in consideration how many people are losing their jobs I guess they can always join the services to make over the lost of income, God my husband was exactly 40 when he retired from the Marine corps.

If you start the military in your forties you will have to stay at least 20 years to get retirement so it would not be many doing that, save money to the government.

Also you get free health care in the service and the family too.

I guess it comes to how really a patriot you are versus how needy you really are.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
WEEEEEE now I have 5 extra years I was safe , but guess not ....this should only apply to Bush's world though. I would be proud to serve under any other president but Bush doesnt have my faith or loyalty....he cant be trusted. Draft me Bush and I will have to become a non combatant religious objector to the war what ever the war flavor of the day for you.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
lol
i can just imagine the US sending a couple of 56 year olds with a m-16
and a walking stick

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Whoops, that just took an excuse away for some of our armchair warmongerers that say they're too old. Nothing standing in your way now! Oh but wait, there's that trick knee you forgot about!

Don't forget to write.

Peace

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Hmmm,
considering that the Iraqi War already a "Mission Accomplished", but there are still 150.000 US troop stationed there, why does the US Army need more men? Is somebody preparing for more wars?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Hmmm,
considering that the Iraqi War already a "Mission Accomplished", but there are still 150.000 US troop stationed there, why does the US Army need more men? Is somebody preparing for more wars?

uuuhhh....DUH!

You really thought the US is gonna stop at iraq???

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
lol
and a walking stick
Dont tell my ex-marine husband that. He's 56 and in tip top shape, enough to put some 40 year olds to shame.

However, he isnt interested in the Bush war.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Interesting that some of you are quick to put timidity n the mouths of others. Almost like you're used to putting words in everyone elses mouths to make it all fit your paradigm. Hmmmm?

I'm 56, and had a knee surgery last year. Already told my "Ever lovin' " that I'd go if they need me. If you wanna, put down your keyboard and come work out with me.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86
Interesting that some of you are quick to put timidity n the mouths of others. Almost like you're used to putting words in everyone elses mouths to make it all fit your paradigm. Hmmmm?

I'm 56, and had a knee surgery last year. Already told my "Ever lovin' " that I'd go if they need me. If you wanna, put down your keyboard and come work out with me.

then here's your chance

dont forget to write

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Guess it's just setting up to make the eventual draft more effective eh? Well, if they ever start overlooking my condition (which I feel is fairly minor), then I guess I'll likely be drafted then too.... No problem serving, but would be nice to do so for a meaningful cause instead of an elite warmongering. Well, lets just hope we don't see the draft...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86

then here's your chance

dont forget to write

Dear Bodrul,

Weather is here, wish you were beautiful! It's not like Nam here, you don't have to worry too much about keeping your socks dry. You don't have to try to hold the crap in while you're splitting your way through wet, hot leaves in a cold, cold jungle. It's hotter than Hell during the day, and occasionally, at night, it gets really cold. And if you've never had hot, dry sand riding in your shorts, you don't know what you're missing.

The food sucks when you are out on patrol. Can't stop and have a cig when I want one. Sure miss my recliner and my remote control.... Oh, and I miss my incessant use of the keyboard. I'm sure you're keeping up your and my end of that though.

Most of all, I miss my wife. I didn't meet her until I was way over 40. We have been a comfort to each other, and I love her more than words permit me to describe. Don't think I want to talk about her anymore. Some love and memories of love are dearer for being private. Will just say that she's one Hell of a woman for supporting my goal here. Rightly, or wrongly.

We had a firefight last night. A sudden night attack, ambush to you. The Lieutenant took several AK rounds in the gut. Grizzly way to go Brother. Funny how the weapons of tyrrany haven't changed in 30 years ... We got a couple of them. Seems that, on examination, they're Saudi Nationals. Kind of interesting that they are representatives from a nation of our "allies". Guess it just goes to show you that you can't tell who your friends are. Scared me crapless Bub. I had a hard time poking around the corner to let loose a round or two in their general direction. I don't want to die, anymore than did the Lieutenant or the couple of bad guys that we took out.

Interesting to see the folks, many of who, prior to this, lived in little more than baked mud hovels. They seem, at times to be afraid of us. But I imagine they're just as afraid of the bad guys. Other times, we don't do much wrong. We feed them, our people help them find work. Maybe it's not better than it used to be, but they do have a lot more self determination for themselves now.... And that's something new for them.

Well bodrul, ol' buddy, break time is over. Off and On as they say and back to trying to help a people find a new way in a new world. For better or worse, Little Brother, this is what I believe in, and I guess thats what I am standing for.

I'm afraid that your bad feelings will have to wait, much like my good feelings. Just gonna have to wait and see how the future lays out and whether your right and I'm wrong, or vice-versa, or perhaps, we are both way off kilter....

This letter's postmarked,
Northern Iraq.

Nah bodrul, I haven't been... This little note is based on commo that I get from 3 or 4 students of mine, female and male, who are currently serving or have recently returned from over there. Don't worry Bud! They'll look out for your interest. That's what soldiers do.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   

lol
and a walking stick

I'm no spring chicken but I know some "yung'uns" 20 years younger than I and I can run circles around them.

It's just the younger generation has gotten use to the "Life of Riley" and don't want to lift a finger to do anything.

I'm not talking about all young people. Some still grow up on a farm!

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Old men, who have lived their lives, sending young men, who are beginning theirs, to fight and die.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
This part of the article struck me.

Shelley's situation exemplifies the pressure on today's recruiters. Up at 6:30, he consults his "plan of attack," a white sheet of paper on which he pencils in his activities by the hour. At lunchtime, he hits fast-food restaurants. When school lets out at 2:45, he starts calling potential recruits at home. In early evening, he goes to gas stations or the 7-Eleven, scouting for youths with "less desirable" jobs. At night, he is out "AC-ing," or "area canvassing," until 10:30.

How do recuiters get students phone numbers?
Dose the US government give out private info in order to fill shortages?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   
The only way I would join the Military is if the National Guard started guaranteeing that they are the "National Guard" and not the world police force.

I would join the Guard tommorrow if I knew that I woudlnt ever get shipped out of country.

There are tons of problems that needs guarding in the US like the borders, cities, ports, and dozens of other things. Im sure I could be kept busy.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ritual
The only way I would join the Military is if the National Guard started guaranteeing that they are the "National Guard" and not the world police force.

I would join the Guard tommorrow if I knew that I woudlnt ever get shipped out of country.

There are tons of problems that needs guarding in the US like the borders, cities, ports, and dozens of other things. Im sure I could be kept busy.

No offense intended, and I could be real wrong, but it seems like lots of folks want what they want and only how they want it.

I guess I mean that, on occasion, we can't have it all our own way all the time. Life doesn't work that way.

Sometimes you have to give up something to get something.

And it seems that us older folks are mainly the ones that realize it.

Hope you're not offended. This is simply an observation on demonstrated behavior.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
How do recuiters get students phone numbers?
Dose the US government give out private info in order to fill shortages?

Thanks to the No Child Left Behind act, military recruiters are given access to most (if not all) student data kept on file by the school

www.alternet.org...

The No Child Left Behind Act which went into effect last week has some surprising implications for high school students. Buried deep within the funding benefits is Section 9528 which grants the Pentagon access to directories with students names, addresses and phone numbers so that they may be more easily contacted and recruited for military service. Prior to this provision, one-third of the nation's high schools refused recruiters' requests for students' names or access to campus because they believed it was inappropriate for educational institutions to promote military service.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
i'm sure dogs and cats will be next to be authorized to enlist

don't knock the 'ol folks'...there are those of us in our upper 30's that can run circles 'round the yungsters and still laugh while doing it.

and they say the military doesn't need more people................

the age change is for new 'raw' recruits..if you have any past military experience, you can re-enlist at most any age......good luck

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join