It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lumber and construction prices skyrocking

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Anybody see the price of lumber lately??!!

www.cnbc.com...

REAL ESTATE
Lumber prices top $1,000 for the first time as single-family housing starts drop 12%

It seems as if almost all building material is rising in cost overnight. I know it's been going up for the past year, but what is going on
the last few weeks?
We had seriously considered selling our house and building new. A series of events happened so we were unable to move. I think it was
divine intervention or something. We would have been put smack in the middle of this.
I feel sorry for anyone that is building right now.

We are also in the market for some new appliances and furniture, and let me tell you, that is a whole adventure too.
Some furniture is taking 34 WEEKS!!

Why did I put this in the conspiracy section? I had read that China just secured Midwest lumber for the next 4 years.
I've heard similar things about concrete and steel too...

Sometimes it's not a big flashy war that happens, sometimes it's death by a thousand cuts....

edit on 18-3-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I was reading this just yesterday

www.trinitybuildingsystems.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 11:24 AM
link   
What's going on?

We've been printing trillions. Most of which were printed in the last year and we've done nothing to arrest it.

We can't hide the inflation anymore.

edit on 3 18 2021 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Now is the time to wait until lumber prices go back down and stabilize. Might take another 6 months to a year.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Now is the time to wait until lumber prices go back down and stabilize. Might take another 6 months to a year.

Do you feel it will stabilize? I have a couple of projects on hold, and am really wondering if 6 months from now I will be kicking myself for waiting if prices stay the same or even possibly go higher.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 11:35 AM
link   

It will stabilize when we throw away our garbage currency.

If you've got got USD, might as well spend it.
Buy pretty much anything- gas will be stuff bucks a gallon in a few months.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Yesterday at menards, a 2x4x8 was $7.25....
A year ago it was $2.45...
Not premium either, it was construction grade.

They had pallet after pallet of treated lumber out back but I didn't check the prices.
Inventory seems to be fine.

A local box company can't get glue.
Injection molders can't get plastic.
A foam factory can't get chemicals for products.

I expected more of this last year but right now it's really odd.
Texas ice messed up the oil market but damn.
Im hearing 26 week wait times for plastic pellets.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Will interest rates still be low?

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Hubby works in construction, and at least here in MI, it has been going up for a while. A 2x4, 8' has almost tripled in price. And it is hard to get. Ordering time is way out. You can go buy warped boards, but that is about it. They are very frustrated, and it may put him out of work for a while.

Everything is ridiculously priced right now, or you have a 6 month wait on things like appliances and furniture.

I don't see this ending for another year, if prices ever go back down.

But hey, lets shut the economy down again. What could go wrong?

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Yesterday at menards, a 2x4x8 was $7.25....
A year ago it was $2.45...
Not premium either, it was construction grade.

They had pallet after pallet of treated lumber out back but I didn't check the prices.
Inventory seems to be fine.

A local box company can't get glue.
Injection molders can't get plastic.
A foam factory can't get chemicals for products.

I expected more of this last year but right now it's really odd.
Texas ice messed up the oil market but damn.
Im hearing 26 week wait times for plastic pellets.

Yeah, I had sticker shock when recently helping a friend replace some windows and get materials for a simple shed he was building, it’s ridiculous. I’ve been in construction most of my working life and what I’m seeing in price increases is in no way shape or form sustainable. I’ve actually heard of a few people so far that have suddenly not been able to build due to material cost increases.
edit on 18-3-2021 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

I am doing siding and windows soon and the prices seem reasonable but the wait time is much longer.

I was going to build a new shed but I think I'll wait now.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I was going to build a deck this spring. I went to get some 2X4s. Nearly a buck a foot!

I asked what was going on. The guy at the desk explained that it was due to the mill shutdowns through COVID.

Hope it drops or no deck this year.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   
This shouldn't surprise anyone.

We have yet to see all the effects of shutting down the country for the "pandemic". I'm waiting at least 1.5 years or more before making any lumber or construction purchases. It's almost cheaper to rent a lumber mill and get wood from local timber. Anything that triples in price to some how "save profits" means we need to get the shareholders interests out of this daggone country.

Nothing is for the people's benefit.
It's all for the Corporation.

Covefe

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I was going to build a new shed but I think I'll wait now.

YUP, my husband was going to build me a she-shed but that'll have to wait...

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I have been practicing being frugal. Not for me, I know all about frugality. I am doing it for my kids.... getting them used to it.
The problems are only starting, this will get way worse.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Disrupting integrated and existing supply chains has consequences? Who could have possibly known?

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Could it be anything to do with supply and demand? shutting down all non essential stuff around the world means a shortfall of things so while the demand is there the prices go up.

Or it could be inflation, all printing money devalues it supposedly.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   
We need one more sofa for furnature, the old couch I lay on is getting pretty bad. Bought a new one for the wife last year. Maybe Vinnies would be a good option, I like to come in and lay on the couch if I hurt my back when I am out working in the garage or garden, or just making wood. I would want a couch cover if we got me a new seven foot sofa. Plus, the cats need something to lay on where they don't get yelled on for puking on a new sofa.

I do need to reroof the main garage, I guess building a third garage is off the plate this year.
edit on 18-3-2021 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Lol

Can I get another check

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

Could it be anything to do with supply and demand? shutting down all non essential stuff around the world means a shortfall of things so while the demand is there the prices go up.

Or it could be inflation, all printing money devalues it supposedly.

I understand the shutdown, inflation etc. what I don't understand is the VERY sudden rise/inflation.
10% in one week is CRAZY... I'm talking the last 3 weeks prices are going crazy. I wonder if it is just
pent up building demand. Is it that people feel positive or negative regarding covid? Are people planning
to hunker down? Spring fever? Stimulus money? What is so unique about March of this year? Is it that we have been locked down for a year?

www.cnbc.com...

Softwood lumber prices are now about 112% higher than they were a year ago and have jumped 10% in just the past week, according to Random Lengths.

edit on 18-3-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join