It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Majority Leader DeLay's "Talking Points" on Schiavo and Denial of Same

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
In the ABCNEWS.com article where the thrice slapped ethics violator and Senate Majority Leader Tom DeLay says he and other Republicans are not giving up the Schiavo fight...

House Majority Leader Tom DeLay said that he and other Republican members of Congress would continue to work through the weekend to come up with a bill to force doctors to reinsert Terri Schiavo's feeding tube.

He concedes his own party's circulated "talking points" memo politicizing the Schiavo case is "disgusting" and he's completely ignorant of it's origin.

ABC News obtained talking points circulated among Senate Republicans explaining why they should vote to intervene in the Schiavo case. Among them, that it is an important moral issue and the "pro-life base will be excited," and that it is a "great political issue — this is a tough issue for Democrats."

When asked about these talking points on "Good Morning America," DeLay said, "I don't know where those talking points come from, and I think they're disgusting."

A minor conspiracy no doubt (not because it is minor, but because we've come to expect this cynically hypocritical behavior from DeLay now), but someone did write the political posturing memo on Schaivo, right? Someone distributed it to the GOP Senators that Tom DeLay happens to lead? And it is the black and white stated GOP rationale for why DeLay sponsored the bill he did.

The GOP should intervene on the Schiavo case because...

...the pro-life base will be excited

...this is a great political issue

And a difficult issue for Democrats.

If DeLay didn't write the "disgusting" politicized rationale for his bill and circulate it to his party, isn't he a little concerned that another Republican Senator did?

Coincidentally, it has excited the pro-life base as designed. Infamous anti-abortion extremist Randall Terry is now attached at the hip to the suffering mother of Terri Schiavo, Mary Schindler, and said to be counselling her through the barrage of media interviews now sought.

By the way, the "disgusting" political wrangling of which Tom DeLay is ignorant is as contrary to thinking of the majority of Americans as it is exciting to anti-abortion extremists like Randall Terry.

In this case, the Republican's political wrangling in the Schiavo case does not seem to reflect the majority of American's opinions.

According to an ABC News poll released earlier this week, 87 percent of those surveyed said they would not want to be kept alive if in Schiavo's condition, and 65 percent said a spouse should have the final say in what happens to a patient, as opposed to parents.

Michael Schiavo is adamant that politics have no place in what he says is a personal situation, and has called the Republican's actions a "mockery."

"These people in Congress are walking all over my personal and private life," he said. "I'm telling you, the United States citizens, you better start speaking up, because these people are going to trample into your personal, private affairs."

For the record, I was as proud of the handful of Republicans that stood up to this politicized tyranny as I was disgusted by the handful of Democrats that backed it.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by RANT]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
You know Rant I am very glad that for the first time people get to see the realities of how politics and groups played with the decision making in our country.

This is a great example how people is manipulated and how interest group get to have their agendas served.

The so call Christian and humanitarian groups are nothing more here than to look for the right cases and issues to get what they want.

If this was a case of "pro-life" the baby in Texas would still be alive.

Now the media and the politics have a lot of damage control to fix.

This case is going to be turn around into a black and white issue, and now the ones that are on the interest of that will start their manipulation as well.

The drama is not over is just starting, I guess the gamble by the "authorities" is going to have some undesirable ramifications.

It was to convenient for this case to be in Florida, and the governor just let it go out of his hands as a domestic problem and into the hands of the federal government.

And what happen to the supreme court, it was completely by pass?

What a gambler.

new topics

join