It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus Terrain Revealed by Nasa Solar Probe

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Parker Solar Probe’s WISPR instrument, short for Wide-field Imager for Parker Solar Probe, detected a bright rim around the edge of the planet that may be nightglow — light emitted by oxygen atoms high in the atmosphere that recombine into molecules in the nightside.

The prominent dark feature in the center of the image is Aphrodite Terra, the largest highland region on the Venusian surface. Bright streaks in WISPR, such as the ones seen here, are typically caused by a combination of charged particles — called cosmic rays — sunlight reflected by grains of space dust, and particles of material expelled from the spacecraft’s structures after impact with those dust grains. The number of streaks varies along the orbit or when the spacecraft is traveling at different speeds, and scientists are still in discussion about the specific origins of the streaks here. The dark spot appearing on the lower portion of Venus is an artifact from the WISPR instrument.

The picture was taken by NASA’s Parker Solar Probe as it uses the gravity of Venus on its mission to observe the Sun , taking advantage of the opportunity they used Parker's Wide-field imager which is used to observe the Corona of the sun.

It was a mystery as to how Parker managed to see through the clouds as it isn't fitted for infrared imagery just for visible light observations.

“WISPR effectively captured the thermal emission of the Venusian surface,” said Brian Wood, an astrophysicist and WISPR team member from the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, D.C. “It’s very similar to images acquired by the Akatsuki spacecraft at near-infrared wavelengths.”

This surprising observation sent the WISPR team back to the lab to measure the instrument’s sensitivity to infrared light. If WISPR can indeed pick up near-infrared wavelengths of light, the unforeseen capability would provide new opportunities to study dust around the Sun and in the inner solar system. If it can’t pick up extra infrared wavelengths, then these images — showing signatures of features on Venus’ surface — may have revealed a previously unknown “window” through the Venusian atmosphere.

“Either way,” Vourlidas said, “some exciting science opportunities await us.”
www.nasa.gov...

It could be that the atmosphere of Venus will the place we first find life on another Planet.
edit on 5-3-2021 by gortex because: Linky

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Now that's what I call good news, this might just be the key to learning more about our neighbor's interesting past. Didn't recent studies suggest Venus had water on its surface for at least several million years?

Interesting times ahead for the future exploration of Venus, indeed!

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r

I wanna go there. I hear Venus is lovely this time of year.

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I believe the thinking is Venus was more Earthlike in its distant past , I guess water would have been there just as we see on Mars in its past.... perhaps Venus even has life still living high in it's sky.

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

Nice but a little hot , 482 C so take some protection.

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Indeed

The Venera-Probe has been there, clicking on the image below will take you to a breathtaking video showing the nice surroundings:

I recommend to view the video in fullsize mode to enjoy Venus like never before!

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Oh, you haven’t been? You haven’t even lived (hands you a Venusian brochure).

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 08:04 PM
link   
thanks to all for posts
I unnerstand all the probes melt shortly after landing?

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Life can be based on supercritical CO2 (space.com, on phone and the url keeps the google part... grrr).

Venus and Parker Solar probe... how cool is that??!! That is the best kind of science: serendipity. Trying to do one thing and up doing something else (this example is the only time I have heard about it, some three years ago. While researching redox flow batteries, the Ivy League researchers added a third tank of electrolyte and ended up making elemental particles that would take a forge hours to do. There was an announcement then nothing!) since Parker has to complete its 12 lap (iirc) mission, we will get to “see” more of Venus on the half shell!!

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Interesting how scientists find it hard to accept Venus has breaks in the cloud cover, like Earth does.

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 08:59 PM
link   

You might not need too go there... if you live long enough and we stubbornly refuse to wean ourselves off fossil fuels. You just may get the chance to die a horrible death right here on earth, as the atmosphere turns into something similar as to what we see on venus.

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
I guess water would have been there just as we see on Mars in its past.

But, Mars has (had?) all those canals! Remember when people thought that? Ha ha. I agree with you, though. I think Venus might have more potential.

TCB

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Please read the article for the details as it was not “breaks in the clouds” (which are CO2, causing a runaway greenhouse gas effect such that lead melts on the surface. Which is why the probe that landed died so quickly; all solder melted and there are no more electric circuits left!)

The probe “sees” the radiation difference between the surface rocks that are at elevation and the lower rocks on the surface.

This was an unexpected discovery as Venus is cloud covered, always. The temperature is so hot that CO2 is always in a cloud over the surface and captures the solar energy that can no longer reflect into space.

The temperature difference on the surface was detectable as the probe flew past.

We will “see” more of Venus to come over the years!

edit on 5-3-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Why

edit on 5-3-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Un

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Thank-you for the thorough explanation.

I only read the summary, which made it sound as if scientists were amazed to see the surface. I said to myself, 'Why are they amazed? Venus probably has breaks in the cloud cover."

Thanks again.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Hey, we are busy... this “only” social media, we are not trying to prove theories (well, we won’t mention Phage!), but (As the great Phage himself schooled me...), read the links!!!

That is where the details lie. And where the questions are answered or not.

For us here... that is the discussion point (.... unless you don’t read the links first).

It is not about being the first to post but about being informed (deny ignorance) enough to respond with some insight and nagging questions.

Not judging you but doing a PSA for everyone else (I was not given that warning and was torn to shreds as I posted my first posts... what a noob I was back then!!)

Let’s all be better at asking questions that crack open everyone’s experience and let them share, or, let’s drop all forums and jus be the Mud Pit!!

(Sorry! This soap box is wobbly! )

ETA- I am not directing this at OP, but, am pointing out the foibles of all of us! (I.E., read my post as humor
edit on 6-3-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Clarity

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Yep, mostly cloudy and 900 deg F.

top topics

join