It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warp Drive Study - UFO-Like Design Possibly Key for Working Prototype

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

originally posted by: rigel4
You Tube Video Below is what I was watching if anyone is interested.

I watched it. His accuracy is better than a typical television documentary, but he had what I think is a mistake in his prediction, and he could have used the 30 minutes better to put a more realistic perspective on the journeys.

He said if you travel to the nearest galaxy, 5 million years will have passed on Earth while you only age 56 years due to time dilation, so far ok. But I don't know how he comes up with his description of the Earth 5 million years from now. Alligators have been around for the last 8 million years virtually unchanged, so why does he say there will be no humans left after 5 million years? It's especially odd considering humans have come up with ways to thwart evolution, so humans don't seem to be evolving very much. But even if humans do evolve into another form of primate or whatever, they still might be around and his description of Earth as being completely void of any traces of humans 5 million years from now seems unlikely to me.

The longer trip you mentioned was across the Lanikea supercluster and elapsed Earth time was a billion years (not a trillion) and he got that part right, where the oceans were in the process of evaporating due to higher temperature of the sun and had at most a few hundred million years left before the oceans were dry. So yes that's a realistic doomsday scenario for the Earth, which should be a good motivation to find another habitable star system or at least set up a colony on Mars where the heat will take a little longer to be unbearable, or maybe Jupiter's moons.

When I said he could have used the 30 minutes better, his outline went sort of like this: Assume warp drive is not feasible, also assume a means of indefinite propulsion at 1g and perfect shielding, then apply the real science of relativity, see what happens. I think applying the science of relativity was fine, though he didn't need to illustrate quite so many different trips, you sort of get the idea after a few that the faster you go, the more time slows down, etc. The thing I didn't like was no further explanation of his assumptions for the propulsion and the perfect shielding, being about as unrealistic as the warp drive assumption.

For the shielding, at one point, he mentioned the CMB temperature would go from the normal 2.73 degrees above absolute zero as seen from earth, to over a billion degrees as seen from the relativistic space ship, and what kind of shield can resist melting at a billion degrees? You can't assume a "perfect shield" realistically. But what he also should have mentioned using maybe 2 minutes out of the 30 minutes, was that shield technology research suggests that even the interstellar hydrogen atoms act like little "mines" that will heat up and melt the shields of the space ship long before the CMB he mentioned melts it, so I find it odd he mentions only the CMB and not the hydrogen atoms problem with respect to shielding.

This paper says you can go maybe half the speed of light with currently conceivable shield designs, where the "Lorentz factor" would only dilate your time by 15% so at that speed, during your 100 month journey (8.3 years) as timed from Earth, your time on the ship would be 15% slower so you would only age 85 months (7.1 years). In fact the authors of the paper analyzing shielding requirements seem disappointed that they don't seem to think we can do any better than about 15% time dilation at around 50% light speed, so I think they were thinking along the same lines as that video where higher speeds would allow for longer trips since people would age less.

The indefinite unspecified propulsion at 1g also could have warranted a minute or two just to mention how that doesn't really seem any more feasible than warp drive at this point. In fact, flat-earthers apparently don't believe in gravity; they say the reason we feel 1g of force is because the Earth is accelerating at 1g, haha. Obviously they never did the same calculation as that video for how long it would take the CMB temperature to be perceived as a billion degrees when accelerating at 1g, not to mention they have no idea what causes the acceleration. My point is, it's not much more realistic when the video says it, than when the flat-earthers say the same thing. Maybe a little bit, but not very much.

Thanks again and nicely put.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The concept of FTL and ST manipulation is being brought into the mainstream.

www.dailystar.co.uk...

Obviously, the concepts are engineered to the point they want to raise public awareness that physics is about to evolve or revolutionize

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: play4keeps
The concept of FTL and ST manipulation is being brought into the mainstream.

www.dailystar.co.uk...

Obviously, the concepts are engineered to the point they want to raise public awareness that physics is about to evolve or revolutionize

Your quoting a gossip rag you know the ones like they will have a story im having big foots baby. lol

<< 1  2  3   >>

join