It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New process for becoming an ATS/BTS/PTS member

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cherish

I hold great concern over this. [...]

Would I have been deemed worthy?
[....]

I guess if you are going to screen new members...make sure they know how to spell and use proper grammer, huh? lmao

Hi, Simon!

[edit on 3/21/2005 by Cherish]

i don't see this new action as a 'finer meshed screen' to exclude outsiders...

i see it as a more sensitive, environmentaly friendly sein/net,

one which allows the wayward dolphins or turtles or sharks to
excape from the 'enclosure'
So that the productive, useful, valuable bounty
can be secured in the ships' hold.

?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Whatever method ATS adopts, I sincerely hope spelling never becomes a demerit upon an application. That would put a lot of members who use English as a second language at a disadvantage.

It won't.

The comment was originally stated as a joke, and I pointed out an amusing error in spelling.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by akilles
Vernal Equinox.

The beginning of Spring. As good a time as any for this move.

Because minds are going to be buzzing this summer (23/03/05 is as good a day for news as any.

Maybe this will limit the amount of Secular Humanists coming in these days!

Interesting as this around the 21st is the same date chosen for the Iraq War 2 years ago, so the Iraq War started at the time of the Vernal Equinox.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by ThePunisher]

[edit on 21-3-2005 by ThePunisher]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cherish
This is the exact thought that ran through my mind. Would I have been deemed worthy?

I would - after all, everyone loves the Pixy Baby !

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
As I stated earlier, this is a good idea.........yeah there are potential interpretive problems that could occur, but I hold that the screening process is mainly there to prevent detractors from immediately posting. The waiting period is going to discourage those who 'want to harass on a whim.' You'll still find that those who want to harass the quality of ATS will still do so if they are wired in that decidely immature fashion, but they will still be dealt with in the customary fashion.......

Simon & Skeptic.........Good Show

BTW. when I registerd on 12-10-04, I originally had the username SubVolitional. The password, which gets e-mailed, was sent to whichever wrong e-mail address, as I believe I typed one charachter of my e-mail incorrectly.........I re-registered under the current MemoryShock and didn't pursue the issue because I didn't know/was initially intimidated(my own issue) at the channels to go through to correct my mistake. If you check the 'computer trail' you'll find this to be accurate. The re-register happened within minutes as I was eager to learn the site......

Just thought I'd mention it, since the 'multiple registering' was brought up earlier in this thread.......

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   

But now, all new membership applications are going to be reviewed by top-tier staff. The new member submission form contains a new text-area where we request that new members provide some information on what they hope to learn on ATS as well as what they hope to contribute. New members will be approved or declined on the merits of this content.

Funny. If you review the suggestions brought up in DISC, oh, about a year or more ago, you'll find very similar suggestions. As before, I believe a strategy like this will work now. I suggest the staff review the comments made during that "era" and see if anything of further worth can be obtained.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by ktprktpr]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Bravo!

Though we have had philosophical differences in the past, I applaud this new effort.

Ugh, did I just write that???

Y
E
S...I did...and I'll say it again. Applause, applause, applause!

If you can't spell (or at least use a spellchecker), or write your thoughts down in an intelligent manner, I believe there's little chance you'll contribute anything of importance to the ATS commune. And it might just kick you in the ___ enough to get yourself together so you CAN get in!

It's like a college entrance exam. ATS should get the best and brightest. In fact, perhaps there should be more testing. Basic personality test, like the Leary IQ, could easily be intergrated. Perhaps a random questionaire on history and geography could be done. Anything to hold down the virus-spreading topics of "repugnants" and "demoncracks".....

Ugh, indeed!

There is no friend anywhere - Lao Tse

(and that's one we should take to heart kiddies...for ATS has put it's MAN PANTS back on. Now we can get back to trying to figure this whole thing out!!)

Say Ya!

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   

The management of AboveTopSecret.com has initiated a membership application process where each new membership request is review. Please provide a brief one-paragraph summary of what you hope to contribute to our discussion board, as well as when you expect to gain. If you do not submit comments, your membership application will be denied.

I can't see anything bad coming from this. People who don't fill this out are most likely spammers. People who fillit out foolishly most likely didn't read the terms and conditions (first thing you see when you hit the register link).

The timing is quite good and no doubt was in part behind putting the application into place.
April fools day is coming soon.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I lurked ATS for so long I thought I knew the place. Nothing like jumping in to really find out.

Screening- ? I'm ambivalent, it isn't my board. Spelling-forget it.

While lurking I noticed a few parachutes issued. I went back and looked at some of the posts. For the most part I could figure why. A few I couldn't. I know a guy that got banned and the reason for it. This helped me decide to quit just lurking.

Any board that will ban long time members for bad actions needs looking at. After looking deeper I decided I could learn some things here. I believe I have.

I applaud these changes. I hope more conspiracy related questions and answers percolate up. While the mundane and newsworthy are entertaining (I am an ATSNN news junkie) the real reason for a board like this one is conspiracies.

To those (many) that see a political polarization and are bothered by it all I can say is that therein lay the eggs for knowledge. I love reading political arguments as they are on ATS. The sources cited are nothing short of astounding.

As to witch hunts- Cotton Mather is ALWAYS near.

From Spurgeon.org

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Whatever method ATS adopts, I sincerely hope spelling never becomes a demerit upon an application. That would put a lot of members who use English as a second language at a disadvantage.

Actually, it would be a nightmare, even for those who use English as their only language. English spelling is different depending on where you are. For example, British English spells "COLOUR" while American English spells "COLOR". There are other spelling differences. Is the word mis-spelled or from another place? Spelling should NEVER be a consideration.
I mostly read posts, but do occasionally make a comment. I suppose that anybody who only wants to read can still do so. If a chance to post is desired, you ought to be able to write a small amount. After all, if you are here, it can be assumed that you are somewhat literate.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I just have a few reservations but overall I think it is at least a step in the right direction.

As has been mentioned on here before, anyone who wants to can lie well enough on there application to get accepted. Those that see ATS as a potential "sea of gold" for advertizing would probably consider taking the time to write out some, at least decent, application material. I think the focus shouldn't be on prohibiting potential members but doing something about the problems and helping the new members along. If this would cause too much of a workload on the moderators, perhaps the addition of some sort of "flag" button that can alert moderators to a specific post.

I haven't really seen too much "spaming" in my time here (although that is only about a week). The major problem I see is getting off the topic at hand (and normally into bashing of individuals as opposed to debating a diffrent topic). I have seen this problem not only with new members but well established ones as well (and I have to say that in the posts I frequent, it is normally the established members doing the bashing
).

I'm not calling for a "witch hunt" but think that there should be something (although I don't profess to have the answer to what that is) done to prevent the problem of "spam" and "bashing" that is going on here. I would think that flagrant "spamming" would be fairly obvious and something along the lines of getting a warning or banning the member would be possible with the editing out or deleting of said spam. As for exreme political views and the changing topic problem, I don't really have much of a suggestion except that if the other members would blow it off and not respond back in a way that encourages it, that kind of thing would start to die out. (An example, although it was appearently a misunderstanding, it, I think, shows the way that things weally should be handled My reply to CmptrN3rd5 near the bottom. Mind you, I don't think that is a "perfect" example as I know there are several things I could have done diffrently, but I hope it gets the point across.)

Also, as was mentioned earlier, a lot of people find ATS because they are researching something else, I am one of those people. I honestly don't know if I would be here if the screening was in place a week ago. At the time I wasn't expecting to be a "regular" here but to check in from time to time and post occasionally, so if the screening process was in place, and I had been honest in my answering of questions, I honestly think I probably would have been denied (and IMHO I think I have contributed nicely where I have posted, although my range of topics is fairly narrow).

To sum up what I'm saying, I think that the current system of filling out a "resume" of sorts shows that those in charge see the problem, but I don't think that this is the way to fix it. ne thing that would help is if everyone took a more active role in helping out new members and showing them the ropes so to speak as well as not encouraging topic changes and bashing by replying in a manner that does so. I know I'm not perfect at this, but I try.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   

But now, all new membership applications are going to be reviewed by top-tier staff. The new member submission form contains a new text-area where we request that new members provide some information on what they hope to learn on ATS as well as what they hope to contribute. New members will be approved or declined on the merits of this content.

I didnt think that ATS mods were that naive guess I was wrong. Neo Naizs , spammers, trolls e.t.c can write political correct crap in order to acces ATS.
People wont show there true colours till they join ATS.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
i still think we should have some sort of HR department, selected member decide on who joins or not.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
Have you ever tried to join the Sci-Fi/Fantasy art site 'Elfwood' ? Now that is one hell of an application process. You are expected to read the various rules in depth and then answer thirteen or so questions based on those rules and what you would do in certain circumstances. It's more like applying for a job than trying to join a website.

Did you make an attempt & succeed?

Or how about trying to get into an exclusive board that requires you to demonstrate you have psi abilities & be required to demonstrate you have that ability on a regular basis.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Any interested been written by new members to be?
Also, SkepticOverlord, can you post the best ones for us all to read?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

I feel that'd be a privacy violation, it wouldnt sit comfortable with me. Let's keep it private i reckon

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

The new member registration process is NOT meant to be contest, just a very straightforward "why do you want to join" second step after providing an e-mail address.

To be perfectly frank, if someone can't be bothered to type up a couple sentences as asked, then prepare to be declined first time around!

We will not be providing examples of texts provided.

We will not be requiring existing members to re-register their accounts.

If there was no means of membership screening at all, I will say without any doubt that the ATS forums would not be part of AboveTopSecret.com. The sheer amount of troublemakers which the public doesn't have to know about because of the background work carried out by the senior staff is beyond comprehension.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Everybody loves Reikuro...Reikuro would be worthy...

Anyways, Reik only joined orriginally because she was threatened by cpr12r

Reik thinks this is a good idea, it would help other members with the whole new member problem

however...Reik thinks this is kinda like applying for a job...

EDIT: (by the way, Simon, SO, nice new avatars
)

Second EDIT: the up thing messed up...

[edit on 22-3-2005 by Reikuro]

[edit on 22-3-2005 by Reikuro]

d1k

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
lol good luck with this one "top tier staff"

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
While filtering out spammers is a good idea, We must use caution with this! If we aren't careful, we could wind up shutting out certain patterns of thinking. Losing our multiperspective would be very bad for us, because we depend on this multiperspective way of thinking to keep ATS grounded in reality. There is very fine line between suspicion and paranoia. I'm not saying no to this idea, I'm only suggesting that we move slowly and carefully. Also, if people on the outside think we're becoming paranoid, serious conspiricy, and black project hunters might avoid us. We don't want to scare away the very people who have helped make ATS so Sucessful!

Tim
ATS Direstor of Counter-Ignorance

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join