It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New process for becoming an ATS/BTS/PTS member

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I'm sure that the Powers-That-Be realize that even the debunkers and skeptics (although they are all probably in the pay of the Little Purple Men from Arcturus or the Lizards or whatever) are still important to have around, since we tend to balance out some of the more hysterical assertions seen here.

Not just that, but the skeptics help the believers see the holes in their arguments, and help separate the wheat from the chaff. Without skeptics, we'd believe every Billy Meier, George Adamski, David Icke, etc. that comes along...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
We are not looking for long drawn-out essays when registering for membership, but simply a short passage asking why you would like to join, and what you think you can contribute.

We don't think that is too much to ask.

A problem ATS originally faced was when absolutely anyone could register new (and multiple) memberships and who did so with the sole purpose of using an account to attempt to hack into ATS. Multiple accounts would be registered in the space of minutes and tens of minutes, dozens of accounts whose only reason for existence was to cause trouble.

To eliminate this problem, we implemented a security check whereby people couldn't register from a "free" e-mail account (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.). This created a great relief with only minor interference to legitimate users. It was unfortunate that certain people were prevented from registering, but it was a necessary addition.

Now another issue has been addressed concerning new memberships, trolls. A simple addition to the user registration process is to ask "why are you joining?"

Even to this very minute, we are receiving new submissions where some people simply can't be bothered to tap up a few sentences....

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Simon Gray,

Finally we get to hear from the boss itself I was wondering, but how can anybody determine when somebody is been truthful or not, anybody can lie.

In the internet people can be anything they want or become anybody. I guess I am making a big deal of a littler thing.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
To eliminate this problem, we implemented a security check whereby people couldn't register from a "free" e-mail account (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.). This created a great relief with only minor interference to legitimate users. It was unfortunate that certain people were prevented from registering, but it was a necessary addition.

so...

if people have "free" e-mail accounts, they will be declined???

[edit on 21-3-2005 by they see ALL]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Simon Gray,

Finally we get to hear from the boss itself

Latin malapropism or political correctness?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

That has been the case for 18 months or more.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

That has been the case for 18 months or more.

o0o...

i didn't know...

link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

People with "free" accounts have not been able to register for quite some time now. This was implemented last year, possibly before you even registered.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by SimonGray]

link   
I was just over at PTS, trying to gain my membership there (which i thought i had in the first place) All they ask is why you want to become a member. Its not a mindbungling problem at all.

Now if i am lucky enough to get the membership, i'll be able to respond to a thread of mine that was moved there.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray

People with "free" accounts have not been able to register for quite some time now. This was implemented last year, possibly before you even registered.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by SimonGray]

thanks...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Originally posted by marg6043
Simon Gray,

Finally we get to hear from the boss itself

Latin malapropism or political correctness?

I have not clue what you mean by that, did I make a grammatical error?

I am very happy to hear from the boss once in a while you know, is that so bad?

SO outfit and mask kind of scares me sometimes.
just like the easter bonny in the mall.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Finally we get to hear from the boss itself I was wondering, but how can anybody determine when somebody is been truthful or not, anybody can lie.

In the internet people can be anything they want or become anybody. I guess I am making a big deal of a littler thing.

I'm assuming that of course, nothing is fool-proof, just another security measure to cut down on it is all....

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Marg,
you crack me up

You're perfect. Dont ever change

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
But now, all new membership applications are going to be reviewed by top-tier staff. The new member submission form contains a new text-area where we request that new members provide some information on what they hope to learn on ATS as well as what they hope to contribute. New members will be approved or declined on the merits of this content.

I have no problems whatsoever with this. All new members are asked to do is to write a paragraph explaining what exactly they expect from ATS and the reasons for their application. It's not as if they are expected to give out their credit card number, get authorisation from Homeland Security or sacrifice their firstborn to Cthulhu.

Have you ever tried to join the Sci-Fi/Fantasy art site 'Elfwood' ? Now that is one hell of an application process. You are expected to read the various rules in depth and then answer thirteen or so questions based on those rules and what you would do in certain circumstances. It's more like applying for a job than trying to join a website.

To return to the topic at hand, if asking new members for a bit of info is the only way of stopping the trolls and nazis from causing mayhem on ATS/BTS/PTS then so be it. I have no problems with the decision at all.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I dont think it should be about what people can give.
If someone just wants to read through everything and make the occasionly question then that would be helpping ot deny ignornace

Also would existing members go through this as well anytime in the future?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I don't think so, unless you want to change your account for some reason or another.

Anyone here who wouldn't pass will either not post or will be taken care of. Everyone who belongs will stay.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
I hold great concern over this. There has obviously been a lot of thought gone into such a decision, yet it is one I feel deserves caution.

Who of us already here could be certain we would be accepted? Would I have been accepted? Could I have penned my desires and hopes clearly enough? Would I be judged because of my poor eloquence and inabilty to state my ideas on paper?

Jack

*sp

[edit on 21/3/05 by JAK]

This is the exact thought that ran through my mind. Would I have been deemed worthy? I love ATS. I have only been a member for aobut 4 1/2 months and would hate to think I am not contributing in a way that ATS higher echelon would have approved or something along those lines.

I guess if you are going to screen new members...make sure they know how to spell and use proper grammer, huh? lmao

Hi, Simon!

[edit on 3/21/2005 by Cherish]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cherish
I guess if you are going to screen new members...make sure they know how to spell and use proper grammer, huh? lmao

i hate to do it, but its a mistake that's responsible for about 20% of all the quotes on bash.org.

grammAr

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cherish

Hi, Simon!

[edit on 3/21/2005 by Cherish]

I wouldn't go quite THAT far.....command of the English language is daunting at best and downright silly at others.

If they answer the question's in all cap's though, They are not ready for the civil conversation required here

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Whatever method ATS adopts, I sincerely hope spelling never becomes a demerit upon an application. That would put a lot of members who use English as a second language at a disadvantage.

One of this sites great strengths is it's diversity...members from around the globe contribute ideas grown 'at home' and I love hearing what someone with a different perspective has to say here.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join