It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New process for becoming an ATS/BTS/PTS member

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Let the mods see others commiting this, and let them take action. More moderation.More mods. More mod power.

Plus, everyone knows a few banes on the community everyone can agree on. We need to get our internal houseclean on. If not this way, then how?

DE

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
ATS should always keep one thing the same, keep this place free

The same was said about ads some time ago. Times have changed and will continue to.

It will be out of the hands of ATS whether or not it needs to eventually charge a fee or not.

Similar to when it was said this place would be ad free or consist of a few limited ads. Those ad-free days are gone.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I think the idea of vetting new members is a good one.

Not that my viewpoint is really all that relevant, since this is not my board; it belongs to Simon & Co.

I'm sure that the Powers-That-Be realize that even the debunkers and skeptics (although they are all probably in the pay of the Little Purple Men from Arcturus or the Lizards or whatever) are still important to have around, since we tend to balance out some of the more hysterical assertions seen here.

And I also like the idea of having "Welcome Weenies" meet 'n' greet individual n00bs, give them hints 'n' tips, and monitor them for a trial period. I think all long-term people (over, say, six months) have an obligation to help out the Mods with this.

And finally, I wouldn't be averse to a subscription fee (say $25/year) which would:

o help keep out the people who don't consider ATS to be worthy of their support;

o Maintain the computer infrastructure; and

o Compensate the owners for their initial and ongoing investments.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I wish I was as smart and wise as some of you. You just know how everything should be done. I would be so rich.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I suggest also, for what its worth, that new members submit their posting identities from other forums and usenet and such. That would be a great way to really gauge how a person behaves, with the undestanding that not everyone has experience in other forums. Tho I'd wager that many do.

And don't "uck" with de jesus.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Hmm, Im inbetween on this, sure it helps keep out spammers and trolls, but at what cost?

It really does'nt matter though, since its Skeptic's decision.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Members have made some good points and raised some vaild issues, but we should be aware that the staff don't come to these decisions on pure impulse. I'm positive that these ideas are are discussed in the cosmic forum, examined for holes, and finally modified before they are presented to us. I think it's pretty obvious that behind closed doors, sometimes even the mods don't agree, and they have already raised all of the concerns that we have raised here - and in other threads regarding policy - amongst themselves. They're a pretty intelligent mob, so let's give them a bit of credit and a bit of a break, eh? SO and the staff are showing us the courtesy of making an announcement before they implement a decision. Why don't we trust that they will alter policy if required after having tested the waters (as mentioned by a moderator in an above post) and get on with the job of improving the quality of ATS content, rather than wasting our time bickering and pontificating about how we could do it all better.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Back in the 80's, if you wanted to join a BBS, you had to pass a huge list of questions including a personal statement just to get in at all. This is nothing new and it's a good way to control the direction of your board. Would Scientific American allow just anybody to write articles for them? No, of course they would discriminate regarding who gets to contribute. Everyone still gets to READ SciAm, however.

Remember that everyone (including the skinheads) will be able to read ATS which is enough in itself. This move seems designed to limit the people who are contributors. Frankly, you could lose half of the people who post here and the board's value wouldn't go down. Why are people so desperate to be heard, anyway? Why does everyone need to take up two-inches of thread-length just to say "me too!"... It gets old.

As long as I can read ATS for free, I'll keep coming back. Being allowed to participate is just icing on the cake.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
what does it take to get declined???

you said ATS is for all but you also said that people could be declined???

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Vernal Equinox.

The beginning of Spring. As good a time as any for this move.

Because minds are going to be buzzing this summer (23/03/05 is as good a day for news as any.

Maybe this will limit the amount of Secular Humanists coming in these days!

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I think that is a great idea...
it could filter out some of the obvious misusers...

and it doens't seem restrictive to the possible good posters...

My dog applied to the board yesterday and has already been accepted...
and he can't even spell...

but he has some great info on aliens... he talks to them telepathically...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
My dog applied to the board yesterday and has already been accepted...
and he can't even spell...

but he has some great info on aliens... he talks to them telepathically...

Good point, lazaurs a littler bit cynical but good, anybody would lie to their teeth's to look or sound good.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
As someone who lurks more than posts these days, I could only hope for a return to the days when I felt compelled to check in often, with postings to the topics that caught my attention.

That having been said, I have mixed emotions on this.

I feel this will only stem the tide of new incoherent or unthinking members being washed upon our shores, while likely doing little to help raise the level of debate on the forum for the topics it was originally intended for.

Yes, it will aid in controlling the quality of future entrants into the ranks of ATS, but part of the problem remains the fact that Pandora's box has been opened. Any current "problem" members who would be turned away by the new application process are already here.

I do like the idea of bringing in only those who wish to actually think about the topics at hand, but I'm not sure how this will help us in dealing with current problems. As for the witch hunt proposed by my sibkin Deus Ex, I'm not sure we need to go to quite that extreme a measure.

Perhaps I'll just need to be a bit more discriminating in distributing invitations to The Bunker when the time comes though......

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I noticed htis last night when I saw a few members registered. newmemeber1 newmember2 and so on. One had denied as their member status.

All in all, I think this will help keep board trolling and spam to a minimum.

-J

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I believe that this could be a great idea but I do have some concerns. I originally linked to ATS, from another paranormal site, and immediately realized that this place was a step above all others. I lurked for a while but eventually decided to join and start posting. If at that time I was required to go through an approval process I might have just moved on instead of waiting to post. I guess what worries me is if the waiting period before you are approved turns out to be to lengthy. There are many that find this place while researching a certain topic and might join to ask more knowledgable board members. Once they realize that they can not post their questions, until they are approved, they will probably search elsewhere. I just fear that we might turn away some potential members that might turn out to be valuable additions to ATS. Hopefully though, most potential members will look at this approval process as a good thing that is needed to keep ATS respectable.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Coming in late, I must say that he first thing I thought of when I read SO's post was pretty much exaclty what infinite and 00PS suggested. It would seem natural to me to try and get a large vareity of the general mass of devoted ATSers to read these things. Even if we don't do a full fledged forum-like thing, I feel strongly that a number of us be allowed to read and help decide on them; the more input the better.

I'd only heard of actions like this being taken in rare cases, and thus thought it odd at first that we should move in this direction, but upon further reflection, it seems to be a rather nice fit for us. I know I for one would certainly, if denied, resubmit 30 days to the minute after lurking ATS forever.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Wow. With this policy, we could effectively get rid of everyone looking to ask questions and learn more, and just have the people who don't have an opinion to share but rather, in their minds, a fact to share.

Part of the charm of this website is the ignorant masses coming on here and stating the most bizarre, unresearched, ridiculous ideas ever to grace a computer since their conception. Why? Talk to any martial arts instructor. The most dangerous students they teach, where you're pretty much assured of being accidentally struck, is when sparing with people for the first time. Why, you wonder, would the least talented cause so much trouble? Because they haven't gotten into the box mindset yet. When you're new to something, you don't think like the masses who are part of that community. When I first came here, I thought very differently than I do now, as I'm sure all you regulars did. Today we are now ATSers. We fit in the community.

It's only when someone from outside the community comes along and shakes things up that we all get disoriented, and have to rethink where we're coming from. For example, none of us "ATSers" would see a thread called, "Reptoids stole my cat and stuck an implant in its ..." and be surprised. We're either going to ignore it, call the person who wrote it ignorant, or agree and contribute to the conversation. ATSers won't ask what the hell a reptoid is, why on earth it would care about your cat, and why they decided to stick the implant in your cat's ... .

The goal of Above Top Secret is to deny ignorance. To deny ignorance, we must ask questions. If we limit membership to those whose writing style is "acceptable" to the upper tier or ATS mods, Joe Blow wouldn't bother joining this site, they'd find another one to join. Then, the questions will dry up and we'll turn into another Democratic Underground: we all get together, agree with each other, and bitch about all those other people who no longer have a say on our website about their idiotic opinion.

I know I wouldn't be here at ATS if I had to submit an application. Think back, all of you long standing members, and reflect on where you were mentally when you came to AboveTopSecret.com. Were you thinking you'd really like to submit your opinion on a conspiracy, but only if the board deemed you worthy of an opinion? Y'all thought people ranted about censorship on ATS before now...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Yes!

Quality can begin with a sense of worth, that admission to ATS is a privilege.

I'm sure that the assessment team can recognize a 'snow job' when they see one, but ultimately a member who behaves other than how they represented in their 'application' will have given away that privilege.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I know I wouldn't be here at ATS if I had to submit an application. Think back, all of you long standing members, and reflect on where you were mentally when you came to AboveTopSecret.com. Were you thinking you'd really like to submit your opinion on a conspiracy, but only if the board deemed you worthy of an opinion? Y'all thought people ranted about censorship on ATS before now...

I certainly wasn't where I am now, but the readers will understand this. They're not looking for brilliance, they're looking for enthusiasm, for real desire. If you don't wanna write an app, you'll read anyway, and then decide to write an app.

I think it's fantastic. A shame it has to happen, but it's a good idea.

Edit: MA rocks

[edit on 3/21/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
SO...

what does it take to get declined???

you said ATS is for all but you also said that people could be declined???

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join