It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New process for becoming an ATS/BTS/PTS member

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
How about this idea...
an new community, just like DISC who deal with applications just like business groups do. i.e Human resources department within ATS. If the new members main focus is about the new world order, as FSME...i should have a say just like the other FSME's would in their section.
Here, maybe if we have more FSME's, they select which members should join.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
LadyV would be an excellent FSME of the religion section

Thank you for the vote of confidence, but it would never happen
I think most feel I am too opinionated, among other things...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS
No infinite not more mods

We need a new staff position

A community organizing position that manages and tracks new users and sends reports to upper management on their status or grade

there should be a 2 week or 3 week grading period where they newbies are graded on several categories.

They are then given a report card and told to improve or force suspension and later expulsion if they have not become a successful member.

This allows everyone to join and a better process to regulate usage of the board.

We need a community organizing position, what is it called? I don't know - but the concept is sound.

I studied community development and the inegration of IT and I have to Say that ATS is lucky it's so big, but now it needs to take it to the next step.

restrictions NO

effective Community management planning YES

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Should I make a new thread to talk about this? I think this would not just address the issue of new users but also might help build a better community overall.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
While were at it why don't we make DrHoracid FSME for Euro and UK Politics on PTS!!!

I assume that is meant as sarcasm.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

While were at it why don't we make DrHoracid FSME for Euro and UK Politics on PTS!!!

LMFAO!!!!

please tell me your joking

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
00ps
What you're talking about is a community director, right? That's Skeptic's job at the moment, if I remember the main page masthead correctly.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
djohnsto77 should be the ATS SuperMod of the republican party! :w::w::w:

let's replace all the mods with typewriting monkeys
"it was the best of times, it was the blast of times!" no more veteran members vying with eachother and grasping at eachothers throats to go up the mod hierarchy then! and they can wear cool fezz's and we'd all have such a good time together!
and eveyone can get nice little photo's and for their birthdays lets buy them all cool golf buggies!

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
00ps
What you're talking about is a community director, right? That's Skeptic's job at the moment, if I remember the main page masthead correctly.

That is SkepticOverlord job,
i think more needs to be discussed on this subject

[edit on 21-3-2005 by infinite]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I am proposing this.

Infinite has understood when he talked about a HR at ATS.

We need 4 to 5 Community Membership Advisors

Responsibilities

: Personally Welcome New Users with a personal u2u.
: Each new user will have a guide
: They will be given pointers on posts for 2 weeks
: After three weeks will be given a grade
: Based on their grade they can stay or will be under another review process
: After the second review process is completed if failed they will be dealt with be suspended and finally expelled if they cannot effectively contribute to the community.

This is just a concept I would like to get feedback on.

SO is for Tech and overall Community Management (i.e. conflict resolution)

Mods are for Content and conflict resolution

We need a position that deals solely with community building from the first day a member joins.

Mods saying hello in their introductory forum post or the non-personal u2u is not enough to keep the ATS boat on course and back to 'its' roots as proposed.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
please tell me your joking

I find my FSME nomination suggestion to be as valid as yours. Your mocking me has no place in a board such as ATS.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I don't trust the infiltration of more mods & such.

Ways to promote clean 'objective' efficiency is my motto.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I find my FSME nomination suggestion to be as valid as yours. Your mocking me has no place in a board such as ATS.

Im not mocking you...you would know if i was
and im sorry if i offended you

War on terrorism would be a better place for the doc'

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
and they can wear cool fezz's and we'd all have such a good time together!
and eveyone can get nice little photo's and for their birthdays lets buy them all cool golf buggies!

hehehehe

A gem of an idea if ever I saw one.

If only all the monkey-mods lived in a central location, they could have demolition derbys with their golf carts and we could set up webcams to record and broadcast the hilarity. It's brilliance, an instant classic.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I am proposing this.

Infinite has understood when he talked about a HR at ATS.

We need 4 to 5 Community Membership Advisors

Responsibilities

: After the second review process is completed if failed they will be dealt with be suspended and finally expelled if they cannot effectively contribute to the community.

This is just a concept I would like to get feedback on.

SO is for Tech and overall Community Management (i.e. conflict resolution)

Mods are for Content and conflict resolution

We need a position that deals solely with community building from the first day a member joins.

Mods saying hello in their introductory forum post or the non-personal u2u is not enough to keep the ATS boat on course and back to 'its' roots as proposed.

This forum is getting off topic and off track.

I disagree with the new policy shift and propose the one quoted above. what do you think?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   

this is exactly what i was thinking,
overall, this idea would prove to be excellent to put into place

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
do we get to bet on the destruction derbys?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
00ps
Why don't you start a thread with your suggestion so you can flesh it out? I've been hanging out in here because it's the most intereting thing happening on ATS at the moment, but you're right, we're dragging the thread into no man's land. For the record though, I disagree with your idea because it amounts to babysitting, and that's not what an online community is about. Online communities thrive on personal growth evidenced in evolving discussion between members, having a semi-mod following people around and assessing their progress is not condusive to a laid back aptmosphere, and comfort is a prime motivator for growth. I think a lot of people come to ATS to get away from performance evaluations, such as they might deal with in school or at work.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
00ps
Why don't you start a thread with your suggestion so you can flesh it out?

No need. This mirrors the "welcome wagon" concept brought up in DISC a while ago. There has been planning along these lines.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I am seem some discrimination in the works here in ATS because "some" are complaining?

So if you complain about the administration, you will be scrutinized?

If you don't like abortionist you will be scrutinized?

If you like abortion would you? What are you political, religious or sexual inclinations? how old are you? are you a professional or an internet rat?

This are just some examples on how "discrimination" can become an issue if some people from the staff doesn't like one thing or the other.

This new "process for becoming a member" will fall under discrimination, specially when the boards are free.

If you have charge for membership, then this the matter would be different, but I see this as control.

This the first time I disagree with something by the staff to "better the boards"

I though that dealing with "undesirables" in ATS was fair and balance.

Like everything in our human nature to much power will call for favoritism and that is what is going to happen.

Good luck with your new "member test" I guess staff knows better.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I am seem some discrimination in the works here in ATS because "some" are complaining?

So if you complain about the administration, you will be scrutinized?

If you don't like abortionist you will be scrutinized?

You're taking it too far. This is a privately owned and operated domain, not a public place.

Certainly, discrimination is an important factor here. Discrimination against spammers, trolls, and related problems. In the previous week, there have been nearly two dozen members banned because of the content of their first post (either spam or attack). Very few members actually noticed or saw this. The process of finding these errant members when they post the first time requires far more effort than a simple review system.

We certainly could have just quietly started this without telling anyone... instead, we gave full disclosure.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by SkepticOverlord]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join