It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New process for becoming an ATS/BTS/PTS member

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
We've already approved a couple poorly written submissions... it's heart and intent we're after.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We've already approved a couple poorly written submissions... it's heart and intent we're after.

good good,
i know this is off the topic, but did you get my U2U about that article i wrote for the main site?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Well to answer the concern that young people would be unable to join...

They would still be able to read posts and cultivate themselves. They just wouldn't be allowed to add meaningless words to what is already a teeming sea.

And it has been said, nobody is looking for literary masterpieces, just THOUGHT. (god forbid)

I don't mean to be a prick, but there are a lot of people in this world who just don't think. I don't suffer them in real life, why should we suffer them here?

Infinite
I'm sure he got it, but it's been busy. I sent a couple too that haven't been responded to. (this is my clever way of repeating your question.)

[edit on 21-3-2005 by WyrdeOne]

JAK

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
I'm assuming that what will be required will be something that seems like a genuine interest to contribute and learn . I doubt that anyone will be demanding any sort of literary masterpieces in these requests for membership.

Sorry Pantha, I mean no disrespect, but was the phrase 'literary masterpieces' an attempt as sarcasm?

Many who may not be well suited to such were those who I am concerned about. It is accepted that many who suffer from dislexia excell in other abilities, and often if diagnosed correctly, do very well in life.

If I have misinterpreted your reply, my apologies.

I appreciate the work and safety-nets that may be inplace, and as I said I welcome the increasing efforts to ensure the quality of this board gratefully. Such a move though does warrent caution surely?

Jack

*sp

[edit on 21/3/05 by JAK]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I don't see how this could have any negativity around it what so ever

Who are the Top Tiers of the board?

We now have People with personal preferences selecting newbies, hand picked.
The fact that there are more controls in place is negative.

The bigger picture is there are not enough staff to handle the work load
of coaching and guiding new users into active and effective participation.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Infinite
I also think you can check whether a U2U has been read or not by going to the memcenter and looking at the single letter just before..the date I think. It's bold N if it hasn't been read, and regular type Y if it has...I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my assumption.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
from what i have heard, my querie has been answered
it seems a good idea and great for keeping out spammers and things. it could also stop just ANYBODY joining, like people who want to join a forum for the sake opf being in a community, and has no bother about cinspiracys and things like that, i am just hoping people who really cant write it but wouldnt be a problem fr the forums do get in. i know what it is like not being able to write that well about you, because i cant do it that well. i am perfectly normal on the forums, bu i cant write about myself, i dont know if it is just me, or my a.d.h.d, but it is a a bit of a worry for me, apart from that, wahey!!

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
It's a good starting point. Makes multiple registerers work at it. (maybe make a dent in their manic-depressive behaviour)

But I'm waiting for the day when a fee (monthly or yearly) is charged for accessing the board. I'm sure its inevitable.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK

Sorry Pantha, I mean no disrespect, but was the phrase 'literary masterpieces' an attempt as sarcasm?

honestly no sarcasm intended at all , and sorry if it came across that way. I was just trying to emphasise that I don't think that we're going to be expecting anything more than a genuine interest in the site.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by pantha]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
i hope they never make us pay for the forum
. it would not be good at all, people like me who cant pay for the privelage will be left out.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Seriously SkepticOverlord more moderators are needed i think. Maybe make FSME's in each topic and allow them to have moderator powers to help deal with the workload. LadyV would be an excellent FSME of the religion section

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by spyrolot
i hope they never make us pay for the forum
. it would not be good at all, people like me who cant pay for the privelage will be left out.

They never mentioned or implied that it would ever become a pay for usage site, in fact they stated just the opposite....saying it will always be free!

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Indigo Child would prove excellent for the civialization section, he would help to control the world load over there too. ATS has the ability to deal with the workload if we all help eachother out

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
LadyV would be an excellent FSME of the religion section

No way, she's got too many pet peeves.

(I'm proving a point with this post, which is: members don't have a say in who gets to moderate..for a reason. There's too much personal disagreement.)

No offense intended, honestly.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
No infinite not more mods

We need a new staff position

A community organizing position that manages and tracks new users and sends reports to upper management on their status or grade

there should be a 2 week or 3 week grading period where they newbies are graded on several categories.

They are then given a report card and told to improve or force suspension and later expulsion if they have not become a successful member.

This allows everyone to join and a better process to regulate usage of the board.

We need a community organizing position, what is it called? I don't know - but the concept is sound.

I studied community development and the inegration of IT and I have to Say that ATS is lucky it's so big, but now it needs to take it to the next step.

restrictions NO

effective Community management planning YES

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Why not just ignore the people who post things you don't like?
If people ignore them, then those people will get bored and go away?
And just ban the ones that get nasty. Isn't that much easier?
But whatever ya'll want to do ... whatever you think makes it easier.

BTW - I found the two references to 'nazi's' to be .... funny.
The left calls the right 'nazi' ... and now the right is calling the
left 'nazi' because they are starving to death (a la Hitler)
a brain damaged woman. If this board kept out the 'nazi's'
as those folks mentioned, then not many would still be here
because the left and the right both accuse each other of
being 'nazi'.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Who are the Top Tiers of the board?

We now have People with personal preferences selecting newbies, hand picked.
The fact that there are more controls in place is negative.

The bigger picture is there are not enough staff to handle the work load
of coaching and guiding new users into active and effective participation.

Are you worried that pro-terrorist or pro-Palestinian submitters won't get picked? Fear not, for without differing opinions...it's hard to argue now isn't it?
Some of you guys are my favorite posters, because you make me constantly re-examine the problem and rethink it. Believe me, stifling such viewpoints would be a great disservice, and we know that.

As for not enough staff, well, there's a few of us, and we'll certainly endeavor to keep up. And as always, I'm sure we're not above re-evaluating the process to be sure the goals are met...

link   
i didnt say the said we would pay, but someone said they expect it t happen soon, i would be a great for um.... nothing really :s

link   
While were at it why don't we make DrHoracid FSME for Euro and UK Politics on PTS!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
flyersfan
I'd be okay with it if there were no right or left wingers on ATS. It wouldn't faze me in the least. In fact, I might even do a happy dance..something I'm not known to do very often. Just imagine it..a community built on..GASP..denying ignorance.

I think they mean stormers though..not sure about that.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join