It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The E-Bomb

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules
Rogue,

How do you know the radius of an EMP grenade.

As to using an HE grenade instead, what if you actually needed the room afterwards???

Cheers

It just isn't feasable to build an EMP grenade with todays technology. They have a hard enough time getting a decent performance out of a 500lb device let alone a 1.5lb one.

With regards to using the room after, exxactly how much damage do you think a HE grenade does ? You can easily use the room afterwards.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Rogue,

Two points, firstly I think you will find most grenades weigh more than 1.5lb. Secondly a standard HE hand grenade will send shrapnel over a radius of about 40 feet.

Most equipment and computer centres are wee bit more tightly packed than that. You are unlikely to come across a room with 80 feet or more between items you want to disrupt.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Two points, firstly I think you will find most grenades weigh more than 1.5lb. Secondly a standard HE hand grenade will send shrapnel over a radius of about 40 feet.

Sorry bud, but 1.5lbs is near the upper weight for hand grenades. Any heavier and it would be hard to throw.

Most equipment and computer centres are wee bit more tightly packed than that. You are unlikely to come across a room with 80 feet or more between items you want to disrupt.

Ahem your point being what exactly ?
If the intention was to destroy the place then they'd carry demolition charges tailored to the specifics of the target.
Cheers

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Rogue,

Exactly, you use an EMP grenade when you want to disrupt but not destroy.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Rogue,

Exactly, you use an EMP grenade when you want to disrupt but not destroy.

I think you fail to understand that the whole point of EMP weapons is to destroy the electronics of the enemy. AN EMP device fries circuits and is as deadly to electronics as HE is.

lol, this is assuming that an EMP grenade exists which of course it doesn't. If the SAS ( lol of ourse it has to be them
) went on some mission it would be either to recover data or destroy it. Therefore HE is a far more efficient destruction mechanism than EMP.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Rogue,

I think you are missing the point but no problem. I will wait till you catch up.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Rogue,

I think you are missing the point but no problem. I will wait till you catch up.

Hmm I think the point is you have no point. You have already stated several incorrect things such as grenade weight.
You are trying to make up some apparent use for these make believe weapons. I am simply saying there is no need for them unless they could make them with a sizable amount of power - which they can't.

Seriously the flux tube in something that size wouldn't create an EMP worth S@@T. But you probably don't understand the principles of EMP weapons.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'd say it's very clear he thinks they render humans unconscious or something.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Rogue/RP,

Since you are now making up what I think I will leave you to argue with yourself.

Take care

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
lol ok Bill. I think it's obvious you have a complete lack of knowlege of the mechanics of EMP weapons.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Rogue,

Just a little quote for you

"Collateral damage from E-bombs is dependent on the size and design of the specific bomb. An E-bomb that utilizes explosive power to obtain its damaging microwaves will result in typical blast and shrapnel damage. Ideally, an E-Bomb would be designed to minimize and dissipate most of the mechanical collateral damage. Human exposure to microwave radiation is hazardous within several meters of the epicenter. However, there is a relatively low risk of bodily damage at further distances"

Cheers

BHR

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Rising the ebomb thread from the dead - here are some newer articles -

www.blacklistednews.com...

l

New Army Weapon Aims to Fry Gadgets, People
Published on 03-13-2009 Email To Friend Print Version AddThis Social Bookmark Button Source: Wired EbombElectronics-frying "e-bombs" have been discussed for decades — but rarely, if ever, deployed. Knocking out computers and communications gear with electromagnetic radiation is nice, but commanders prefer the proven method: blowing stuff up.

www.aviationweek.com.../EBOMB031109.xml

E-Bombs Could Go Mainstream
Mar 11, 2009 By David Hambling E-bombs, weapons that destroy electronics with an intense pulse of electromagnetic radiation, have been discussed for decades. But despite years of research and development, there is little sign of their deployment. The prospect of knocking out communications and other electronic systems is attractive, but commanders prefer proven weapons with known effects. Now the U.S. Army is developing technology to provide the best of both worlds, by creating munitions that combine conventional and e-bomb effects in one package. Explosive munitions rely on blast, fragmentation and sometimes armor-piercing shaped charges for their effects. Researchers want to add an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) damage mechanism as well. This is in contrast to previous e-bomb projects that were intended to be nonlethal so they could destroy materiel without causing casualties. The Army program seeks to enhance existing warheads, adding the feature without affecting blast, fragmentation or armor penetration, and with minimal extra weight.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by spinkyboo]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join