It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: UK Professor plans to put a Self-Replicating Factory in every home!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Andrian Bowyer at the University of Bath has come up with an innovative solution to make 3d rapid prototyping machines as affordable as a present day ink-jet printer, by having the machines make copies of themselves. He is currently working on 3d models needed to attempt such a feat, and he plans on releasing them for free on his web-site and he does not plan on taking out patents on the device as he wants to see one in every home eventually. Unfortunately some assembly is required.

www.betterhumans.com
The machines currently cannot produce glass items, complex parts such as microchips or items such as toasters that will experience intense heat.

However, they can produce most of the parts for such things as digital cameras, and other parts can be bought separately and added later.

Machine owners would only need to supply the machines with plastic and low-temperature alloys, which are relatively cheap, and then perform any assembly required.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is great news, in my opinion! This is the first step in bringing home yet another disruptive technology to the people, but I cannot help but wonder what affect this will have on the current manufacting industry worldwide? Would it be a boon, as the cost of the equipment could come crashing down or could it make the industry redundant and not needed? Either way the technology is coming and I can personally see thousands of everyday uses.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Here is what the ultimate desktop factory would look like(hopefully)

It is a rough concept model but to me it gives a clear focus on the direction this technology is going.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
If this is true, then its absolutely superb IMO, all for it, any idea on when he'd have a working machine?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I have no idea. The article was short and didn't specify. I will be looking for more information on this, and the thing that gets me is he isn't patenting it, which might be a huge mistake IMO. Is there an Open Source type patenting system yet? That is what it seems he is trying to do which is another great thing about this.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Well from the sounds of it, hes not interested in making money out of it, he just wants to see it benefit us all. In theory, once he makes the first one, getting it mass produced isnt a problem as their self-replicating. Keep us posted if you find any more info.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
This is what he plans on doing.

Bowyer is working to create the 3D models needed for rapid prototype machines to make copies of themselves.

He plans to put the models on a Website so that people who own existing machines can download the models and start making copies.

Basically he is going the same rout that Firefox and Linux did.

Here is his website

staff.bath.ac.uk...

And here is the link dealing with his technology which he calls RepRap which is short for Replicating Rapid-Prototyper

staff.bath.ac.uk...

And it is licenced under the General Public Licence

[edit on 21-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I like the concept, however; I wonder if duplicating a product that has a patent on it would be legal?

Also, it would be nice to see a working model before spending money on something that may or may not work. I wonder what the size of the machine is?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I like the concept, however; I wonder if duplicating a product that has a patent on it would be legal?

Hehe I can see it now. Napster for the everyday appliance or tool or whatever

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Another step closer of making humans obsolete.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by CheeseKnob
Another step closer of making humans obsolete.

Heh? I never get that point of view, how is this going to make Humans obsolete? Has Napster made Musicians obsolete? It's not like he's doing it for money.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I don't see this happening. At least not for a long time. As someone who works with rapid prototyping machines and technology on a daily basis I can assure you that the level of part accuracy and the properties of the rapid prototyping materials available at the moment do not lend themselves to what is being described here.
A nice idea, but implementation of it just isn't realistic.......yet.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
How far off would you say it's at? And how much do they cost currently? You gotta start somewhere.

As a someone who uses this technology, will you be watching this guy and checking out his work? Did you check out the other links I posted? I havn't gone through all the stuff yet but I would be interested in your insights.

The only real obsticle I see is funding, but if he can get enough people to voluneer thier time and donate thier money then it could happen sooner then we all think. I'm not taking anything for granted anymore, not after Dolly that is(I know different field but still....)

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
TBH I dont think you can really compair this to file sharing. People usually support bands due to them idolising them, respecting them etc. True if it wasnt for Napster I wouldnt have grown my CD collection. However this I think is slightly differnt. Also CDs are are pretty cheap. Imagine in the future if these things become even more mega complexed and able to produce more complexed things people could save thousands.

Hopefully I am wrong though cos I wouldnt mind one of these babies

Kinda reminds me of the replicators in startrek!

[edit on 21-3-2005 by CheeseKnob]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Why not? The printer is like a CD burner, the CAD file is like the MP3 file, all that really needs to be done is a p2p program for sharing proprietary blueprints. *shrug* It's very much like filesharing and in essance IT IS. Only thing that differs is the quality of materials you choose to use.

magine in the future if these things become even more mega complexed and able to produce more complexed things people could save thousands.

Not only that but our current economic models will have to be totally revised. Who knows maybe we will go back into an Artisan type of economy ruled by small businesses rather then mega-conglomerates. That is where I see this technology being the most usefull.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Why not? The printer is like a CD burner, the CAD file is like the MP3 file, all that really needs to be done is a p2p program for sharing proprietary blueprints. *shrug* It's very much like filesharing and in essance IT IS. Only thing that differs is the quality of materials you choose to use.

Ah good point

[edit on 21-3-2005 by CheeseKnob]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

VERY cool sardion. Great find.

Haven't read the links yet or got a complete picture of this - but I want one.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Here is a much more indepth article

www.spacedaily.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I need one of these!!!
OMG this is the coolest thing I have seen... I have wanted to see something like this for years. I will be first in line for one of these and first to download the Mod that allows me to make my own IC's and High temp materials.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
At work last month we purchased a 3D Printer similar to this type of unit for the design engineering group.

CAD Programers simply print a CAD drawing to it. It has a "Print Head" not unlike your desktop printer in function. Except it prints with a plastic material instead of ink.

It takes a plastic material, and builds the material up slowly. Like a hot glue gun, only on a much more precise and smaller scale. It can take 14 hours to build some parts. The printer can "build/print" very intricate 3D models.

The plastic material is relatively inexpensive compared to building mock ups from clay, wood, etc.

Here is some info from google.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
YAY! now I can finally create 3D objects and PRINT THEM! just imagine what you could make! the implications are staggering.

NASA has had this tech for a while BTW.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join