It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Signs Of Terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
During the suppression of a prison riot last week, twenty-two alleged Muslim militants which included three top leaders of the Abu Sayyaf group were killed. Southeast Asia's war on terrorism is usually waged behind the scenes but has recently been brought up into the open and disturbing new signs of terrorist activity is emerging. Philippine security forces have seized a supply of sophisticated bombs during a raid last February. Abu Sayyaf in Manila maintained the house raided whe twelve bombs manufactured from C4 plastic explosives were recovered. The items were hidden in items such as toothpaste and deodorant bottles.

www.time.com
Even more threatening than bombs or guns are those who might wield them. Malaysian security officials in Kuala Lumpur say five armed Thai Muslim militants were arrested at the city's central train station on March 9. Perhaps in an indication of the sensitivity of the arrests, Malaysian police spokesmen denied they had taken place. But TIME confirmed the incident with two Malaysian intelligence officials familiar with the case. Details of the arrest and what, if anything, the group had planned remained sketchy. But the intelligence sources say the Thais' presence in Kuala Lumpur, which has so far been spared a terrorist attack, is a disturbing sign. Malaysia recently arrested what police say is a top Thai militant leader, as part of a crackdown aimed at preventing rebels from slipping over the porous border between the two countries. Thailand has in the past complained that rebels use Malaysia as a refuge. "We were safe when Malaysia was seen as a place to hide," says a Malaysian intelligence officer. "But now we are arresting militants, and they are angry."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When bombs become ‘invisible’ and are hidden in items such as toothpaste and deodorant, more and more lives are put at risk. Measures need to be implemented to stop these acts of terror, but when items can be hidden so well how can they be stopped. I feel it is just a wait until the next attack arises.

Related News Links:
www.time.com
www.ict.org.il

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Good catch

News that the Islamic Brotherhood (or one of its tentacles) is getting snipped by a new player on the world scene that is public about it is welcome news.

Sad that this is the state of things, but good that other nations are taking preventative measures.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Hmmm JoeD. ...Terrorism did not start on 9/11. Other nations have been dealing with terrorism for decades - and requesting US cooperation thru Interpol etc. the whole time, especially with regard to stopping arms proliferation.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
oh damm.
well that made my day better (not). i can't say i am surprised though. government spy agencies have been doing that type of thing for years. i am surprised it hasn't been seen before. c-4 is such wonderfull stuff, you can make it into almost anything. it is also extreemly stable so that makes it the perfect substance for someone who is not that familier with explosivs to use.

as it is my parrents had to make a run for it just before christmass as there was a try to capture them and other north americans in their area. luckily they were able to get out after a warning. they met one guy who had to run a roadblock to make his escape. i will have to e-mail them now to look out for anything that looks like it should not be there.

i could't beleive how hard it is to find out info on what is happening over there vis a vis terrorism. i found that rather anoying as i have a dirrect interest. in all honesty i still havent found a good info sorce.

as for terrorists being arround. yup we even had our own in canada dureing the 70's (not that we learned about them in school). and of course who could forget the ira. france and west germany even had terrorists operateing in them. it is only since 9-11 however that terrorisim has been more than something for a slow news day, or just a small writeup in a corner of a newspaper. or just something seen in the movies, or books

top topics

join