It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Insect Justice System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Accorded to Susan Milius, taken from Science News, insects have formed their very on police network.

When an insect does wrong they are punished by other, according to this article.

"In the most dramatic episodes, the egg sneak finds herself surrounded by a posse of vigilante workers. "They're grabbing on to her; they try to sting her," says Wenseleers of the Institute for Advanced Study in Berlin."

"The Schwarziana royalty arises in two sizes in the presence of a reigning queen. When a full-size queen matures, workers encircle her and quickly build a dome-shaped prison of wax around her. They regularly feed her by biting a little hole in the wax and passing through food. They then seal the hole. Such a spare queen remains under control."

Very much similar to our own society.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
So, in other words. The worker bees have another provider closed up incase of the current queen dies? If I understand what it is saying correctly. That is weird, that the salves try to ensure themselves they have another queen at hand. Even though she's mostly just for producing eggs, I guess I do understand that.

It seems the workers are in control of the hive, but they are missing something I believe's tha twould make them a true society. They have the hard workers that strive day in and day out to assure survival of the hive, they have the producer that assure's the eggs to be given to supply the hard workers. But they don't have the slackers that eat all their food and sleep on the couch! In a way, what I'm saying is there is no one relaxing, everyone is working hard on their job but no one lives it. I know they are bee's, but I hope you get my drift. Nice post.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Very interesting Hive insects have always fascinated me Bees, Ants and Termites. They are one of the few lifeforms that have made communism in its true form work. Ants my favorite do things like farm (fungus) and even raise their own cattle (aphids). There is also a interesting species of ants "Slave Maker Ants" that steal baby ants from other colonies and make them their own slaves. A other type of Ant even has its own form of suicide bombers, when are attacked some ants will enter into the fray and blow themselves up to protect the colony by mixing two chemicals in their body.

They mastered farming, raising livestock, suicide bombings and chemical warfare long before humans.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Ants, I believe, are indeed the masters of the insect world. They are truly unique creatures, each single one striving to be it's best and strive to make their colony the best, not allowing one to be stronger then the other in power/greed wise like humans. If human's had the same capability as ants, uniting as a people wise, we'd be unstoppable as they could be.

I still can't get over how ants herd Aphids, but I did not know they farm fungus. It makes you wonder, did humans, when they discovered they could farm, did they watch ants? Could they have seen ants repeating a process of crowing fungus and herding aphids, just studying them and making humans at the time go 'Whoa, I can do that!' And I did not know about the suicide bomber ants, that is what I find very interesting, out of all of it. That they know that they can blow themselves up sort of and destroy ants threatening their colony, that they would destroy themselves before they'd let intruders invade their home land. Only if humans could be as simple as ants.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
simple yet brilliant! excellent engineering skills, they can make bridges out of their bodies by conecting limbs and such to cross gaps while harvesting. they even have battle ranks, and warrior classes for when rival hordes attack one another and fight over territory.

wasps have developed some very advanced forms of social classification, garnishing marks on the forehead to recognize certain dominance and the hive. if you are one of the more powerful wasps you get a discerning mark of excellence! somehow i think they have a certain type of telepathy developed. not that i know this as fact, just because they look like greys with those big bulgy eyes.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Yeah when there is a hive and there are several 'queen' bee's going to be born (the bigger ones), the strongest one is crowned queen and the weakers will just be killed.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This is all very interesting material. It makes me wonder is someone isn't look ing at us and saying "oh look at these guys, how smple but how clever they are!"

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by JamesBlonde
This is all very interesting material. It makes me wonder is someone isn't look ing at us and saying "oh look at these guys, how smple but how clever they are!"

I always think that! Someone saying 'wow look they've managed to create a little nuclear bomb! How amazing'

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion

I always think that! Someone saying 'wow look they've managed to create a little nuclear bomb! How amazing'

LOL, thats damn funny hehe whatta bout neil antstrong : "one small step for an ant, one giant leap for antkind!"

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RabidGoose

I still can't get over how ants herd Aphids, but I did not know they farm fungus. It makes you wonder, did humans, when they discovered they could farm, did they watch ants? Could they have seen ants repeating a process of crowing fungus and herding aphids, just studying them and making humans at the time go 'Whoa, I can do that!' And I did not know about the suicide bomber ants, that is what I find very interesting, out of all of it. That they know that they can blow themselves up sort of and destroy ants threatening their colony, that they would destroy themselves before they'd let intruders invade their home land. Only if humans could be as simple as ants.

The ones that grow fungus are the leaf cutter ants, many people assume they eat the leaves but they do not they use the leaves to grow fungus that they eat. I believe they even have to keep their own form of climate control in the colony to make the fungus grow the best such as the right temp. range and humidity level.

One other thing I find interesting about the suicide bomber ants is that suicide is one of the only test I know of for selfawareness. Called the suicide test its basically boils down to that a creature must be selfaware to comtemplate its own death. Though scientist say this test does not apply to ants because this action is a result of genetic programing and not conscious thought. But it really makes you think though.

new topics

top topics

join