It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Signs Bill That May Let Schiavo Live (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:
RR

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Shortly after midnight March 21st President Bush signed what is being called the "Palm Sunday Compromise" to allow Terri Schiavo's parents ask a federal judge to prolong their daughter's life. The House passed the bill on a 203-58 vote.

apnews.myway.com
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush signed emergency legislation sent to him by Congress early Monday to allow Terri Schiavo's parents ask a federal judge to prolong their daughter's life, capping days of emotional debate over who should decide life and death.

"In cases like this one, where there are serious questions and substantial doubts, our society, our laws and our courts should have a presumption in favor of life," Bush said in a statement after signing the bill.

After flying back to Washington from his Texas ranch, Bush had waited at the White House to sign the measure permitting a federal review of the case, which could trigger the reinsertion of feeding tubes needed to keep the brain-damaged Florida woman alive.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Late last night Drudge posted an audio clip which appears to show Terri Schiavo responding to her father shortly after her feeding tubes were removed on Friday. I have to say, in the video I've seen and now hearing this audio I am leaning towards maybe she is more alert than we are being led to believe. Hopefully the signing of this bill will resolve this case once and for all.

Related News Links:
www.drudgereport.com

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RR
Late last night Drudge posted an audio clip which appears to show Terri Schiavo responding to her father shortly after her feeding tubes were removed on Friday. I have to say, in the video I've seen and now hearing this audio I am leaning towards maybe she is more alert than we are being led to believe. Hopefully the signing of this bill will resolve this case once and for all.

I bet the husband just wants his wife to die. Hes been trying to kill her for years.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
IS her husband paying her medical bills?
Or does his insurance pick it all up?
Is that a factor in their decision making?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I bet the husband just wants his wife to die. Hes been trying to kill her for years.

Only because that's what he states Terri wanted. In the state of FL (and most other states), it's assumed that the spouse best knows the wishes of the individual if said individual is incapacitated. Do you disagree? I know I'd want my wife to have that power if I was in Terri's shoes....

He could have been a multi-millionaire if he simply divorced her and allowed the parents to make the decision (as he was offered millions to do so...11 million I believe, from two or more different sources). So this obviously has NOTHING to do with money. If it did, he obviously would have gone the above route....

There is about $50,000 left in the account to pay Terri's medical bills. As much as the Bushes want to see her live though, just to set precedents for the right-to-lifers, I hardly think money is a concern on that side of it either.

She is being used as a political football, and in the past few weeks alone, we've seen the gross overstepping of bounds of the Executive branch of government of both the Judicial and Legislative branches, enough to already set dangerous precedents...and the scarier thing is that nobody (regardless of the side they take) seems to give a damn about it.....

Luckily, they STILL need to get a federal judge to sign off on this to happen, and so far the law has been CRYSTAL clear on this issue. Any judge signing off on this will basically set the precedent that the federal government executive branch can override the decision made by a state supreme court. That is VERY scary my friends, as this power has always rightfully resided ONLY with the Supreme Court...period.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I have worked in hospitals my entire adult life. I have seen stuff like this and often wondered; if the tube is taken out in the hospital, why not take the patient home ama? Hospice would come to the house for her, the family would be happy because she is safe, the ex husband can forget about her, and the media can drop the whole thing.

seems like there are many groups interested in her well being. Perhaps they could channel their efforts and help the family. She certainly would be safe from the courts behind the closed doors of her loved ones.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
americans...what more to say cept they are very sad people.

using religion to determine whether shiavo gets food supplements or not. the christians and concervatists are simply put...self centered naive people who got no clue about what church actually teaches em. if you're truly religious you wouldn't try to play god and keep someone "alive" and isntead you'd let em die in peace.

this woman, and many others, who are in coma for so damn long can't live no more. they're practically dead already. scientific research should be able to already show how dead the brains are. at least thats how it is over here. after a certain period people in coma are dead and keeping their body on suplements and keep them like a plant is just selfish of the family. a family who can't let go and decide whta they want and got no cleu whats for the best for the person who's truly suffering.

let shiavo die and go to God or whatever. she's far past due and so are many others.

conservative/religious americans...geez. such selfish/self rightous/arrogant people. they sunk to a new lowth even. government and society indoctrinating each other in such a way that they make hitler and his party look like amatures. even using children to break in to the hospital to water the plant.

if people were truly religious they'd led her go to meet god
if people were truly humane they'd let her sleep in so she wouldnt have to suffer.

it's time people wake up instead of staying so naive.

even if the husband wants to murder his wife due to events taken place years ago. he'd still be doing a human thing. now his motives might be questionable. does he truly want to kill her to get even? or does he want to help her (which idiot americans call murder as well). as long as the outcome is the same i wouldnt care.

i'm glad i live in the netherlands when seeing this sort of news.
oh yeah you're biased concervative news stations compare us with nazi's

damn hypocrites

especially with the pro-life activists which put a price on the husbands life so he'd get killed

anyway. seeing how the majority is filled with concervative republicans they probably let this woman "live" ergo suffer for a long long long time to come

[edit on 27-3-2005 by Enyalius]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Add to the other threads

thread closed

new topics

top topics

join