It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Affordable Weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
"Cruise missiles have proven themselves in combat many times since the Gulf War, but the Navy would like to drive their cost down—the ones currently in service cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. The Office of Naval Research (ONR) has a program to use commercially-based equipment to build a “cruise-like” missile with good performance at a price ten times less than the norm. The new missile is called, appropriately, the Affordable Weapon."

www.globalsecurity.org...

Includes 3 pictures

[edit on 21-3-2005 by NWguy83]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
looks like one of those chineese or russian missiles

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I would like some affordable weapons for my private force, would be great if someone can give me blueprints

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
You don't need high tech missiles and such like. No my friends. All you need, as a third or forth world country, is a semi-modern petrochemical industry, producing pesticides.

Then, at the touch of several buttons, you could have all the chemical weapons (agents) your little heart could desire. And it would only cost about £5000 a ton!

A ton of say Sarin, Soman or Tabun (at best) VX or BZ (at worst) and you could do so much damage, it is unbelievable.

Got a pharmacutical industry? You have? Excellent. Just start producing Hydrogen-Cyanide (Blood agent)

Grow mushrooms or toadstools? You could produce high grade Toxins (chemical agents derived from biological sources)

Hey the list is endless - IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO LOOK!

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Who is the prime contractor? Futaba?? The simplest cheapest cruise missile is already available. First you take a Cessna, add a GPS Autopilot, pack it with explosives, program in a flight plan and waypoints, and set the transponder to an emergency code. Kaboom!! Hits within 30-50 ft. Or else you could see what that guy in New Zealand is doing.

www.interestingprojects.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Current Tomahawks really doesn't cost that much (750-850k I think) and have some cool capabilities, like new tactical Tomahawk, that can be reprogramed during flight,hit moving targets, or serve as primitive recon UAV (it has a camera too).
I think this "affordable weapon" will be used only against terrorists, who are not able to jamm/destroy cruise misilles.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
True, there is no need to send out a Tomahawk that costs to destroy a terror targets that doesn't have high tech equipment to shoot them down or jam them.
In those situation its good to have something with the same destruction power but that cost's less. And 750-850K is not a lot of money for a missile.

West Point, Out.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
So whats considered "affordable"? The site mentions its much cheaper then current ones...but it lists no price.

But i agree with LongBow, it would be good for suspicious caves or buildings, as long as the building isn't in an urban environment, since i'm assuming there accuracy wont be as impressive.

I like the Tactical Tomahawk. The Block III are around 1.4 million, while these newer tactical Block IV are $729,000 apiece. and as mentioned it has a camera in it, although its capabilities are limited. But it has enhanced anti-jam GPS, can loiter, and switch targets, However I dont think it can hit a moving target.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
.... however I dont think it can hit a moving target.

It can be guided on 12 alternative preprogrammed targets or any GPS coordinates. So I think if satelite/predator/spec op sees moving target it can transmit it's GPS coordinates to Tomahawk/ control crew. Of course it would be not accurate like Helfire buecause it is only GPS guided, but it also has 454kg warhead, so pinpoint accuracy is not necessary.

new topics

top topics

join