It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iran plans secret 'nuclear university' to train scientists

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofMight be why they are enriching uranium? Why they are moving their enriching facility(s) under ground?

One of the reasons they want to make their own enriched Uranium instead of importing it, is that they want to be an exporter of nuclear fuel as a supplement to their petroleum exports.

Boston.com: Iran Determined to Be Nuclear Fuel Exporter

VIENNA - Iran, accused by Washington of developing nuclear weapons, is determined to become one of the world's suppliers of nuclear fuel, a senior Iranian official said on Tuesday.

The head of the UN nuclear watchdog, Mohamed ElBaradei, last year proposed a five-year moratorium on the creation of new nuclear fuel production facilities around the world, which would include Iran's uranium enrichment facilities.

But Sirus Naseri, a senior member of Iran's delegation to the UN International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said such a moratorium would be tantamount to handing the world's few existing nuclear fuel suppliers a monopoly.

"The five-year moratorium proposed by ElBaradei is equal to exclusivity of supply," Naseri told Reuters in a telephone interview.

--snip--

Another Iranian official said the Europeans were simply trying to clear the way for themselves and Russia to have a monopoly on fuel supply in the region.

Naseri said Iran, the second biggest producer in the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), wanted to ensure it remained a supplier of energy to the world.

"With diminishing exports of oil, Iran has to be a supplier. Iran is used to being a net supplier of energy rather than a sole receiver," he said.

"We are definitely going to be a player," he added.
--snip--

As far as why they want their facilites underground, as stated earlier, they want to make it harder for countries like the US and israel to bomb them.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up taking the plutonium route. Can't the Russian reactor they want breed plutonium, something the European design they rejected can't do?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Absolutely correct Ace and as I pointed out in my post, they are going to be building pipelines to India and Pakistan to increase the ease of export. Another thing to note is that Iranian oil production is to be increased by 160,000 barrels a day, can provide a lik if needed.

If this all goes to plan this could be economically very good for Iran.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
AceOfBase, Kriz_4, got any explanations for this?
Iran: Plutonium Reactor Satellite Imagery

Further information and links of interest from Globalsecurity.org:
Iran: Nuclear Weapons

Let me see here, Iran is enriching uranium, and now, once the facility is completed, will be able to produce plutonium. Hmm, but all that Iran wanted was something that would generate electricity. Seems to me either they got a discount package deal, a two-for-one deal, or they will seek to pacify those who accept the 'pacification' by continuing to claim "peaceful use," while under the table, continue to acquire nuclear devices. Plutonium and enriched uranium, all for the sake of "peaceful use," huh?

Not likely. Political rhetoric aside, alternate motives are at play here on the part of Iran, whether some [the EU] want to admit it or not. But hey, whats the "hurry" right? Every nation is entitled to build a nuclear bomb. Prevention and proliferation works when it halts such endeavors before they are acquired rather than after. Little too late for prevention and proliferation talks after-the fact, eh? *shrugs*

seekerof

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Thanks for the links seekerof, but I do not find anything in them of substance. The "probable" Plutonium production reactor (quoted from the article) is misleading. All reactors produce Plutonium, it is an unavoidable by-product. This is the material that is to be returned to Russia. Plutonium also contibutes to a third of the energy created by the reactor and can indeed by re-used as fuel for the reactor. This will not happen for the Iranians as it is to be transported to Russia, a shame as they will not be getting the full benefit of their fuel, but it is a compramise.

Iran claims it is trying to establish a complete nuclear fuel cycle to support a civilian energy program, but this same fuel cycle would be applicable to a nuclear weapons development program.

True, but as I have said, Plutonium production is unavoidable.

I would be interested in a response from you on my post from the first page. I still fail to see why the economic benefits and the reason for their direction is not obvious, without the non fact based accusations that they are seeking nuclear weapons.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Thanks for the links seekerof, but I do not find anything in them of substance. The "probable" Plutonium production reactor (quoted from the article) is misleading. All reactors produce Plutonium, it is an unavoidable by-product. This is the material that is to be returned to Russia. Plutonium also contibutes to a third of the energy created by the reactor and can indeed by re-used as fuel for the reactor. This will not happen for the Iranians as it is to be transported to Russia, a shame as they will not be getting the full benefit of their fuel, but it is a compramise.

That only accounts for what happens to the fuel that Russia gives to Iran. Because the heavy-water used as a moderator in these plants will not absorb nuetrons, this reactor can be used to bombard U-238 obtained elsewhere with neutrons to produce Plutonium that Iran is not obligated to return to Russia, and which the Russians wouldn't necessarily even know about.
These reactors do present the risk of misuse for weapons unless their activities are adequately monitored, and we all know what happens when the UN monitors something. The inspectors get kicked out and there is no response. So we let them build the reactor, if there are monitors they will expell or otherwise restrict the monitors while they get their plutonium, nobody will want to do anything about it, and unless US or Israel finds and bombs the crap out of that plutonium it will go straight into a weapon. Then I can't help wondering what you who said there was no danger will be saying.
In five years tops, probably more like 2 or 3, if America hasn't attacked Iran, Iran will be doing the North Korea thing with us, and unlike North Korea, they will be in a position to singlehandedly enforce an oil embargo on us. I wonder how the terror appologists will manage to blame that one on America (they almost certainly will).

I would be interested in a response from you on my post from the first page. I still fail to see why the economic benefits and the reason for their direction is not obvious, without the non fact based accusations that they are seeking nuclear weapons.

The accusations are based on very reasonable suspicion. Iran is developing and purchasing ballistic missiles, is a nation in extreme tensions with neighbors (specifically Israel) and of course there is the infamous "we will destroy western civilization" threat from a while back. There's an old saying in North Korea. "Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice... well... you can't get fooled again."

The economic benefits are there, so it's really a shame that Iran can't be trusted with it, but they can't. As I have often argued, the only rules are what you can and can't do. Iran can't become an exporter of nuclear fuel because America is all but telling them that if they keep trying to produce fissile material they're going to get attacked. That's where the buck stops.
Nations that Iran hates and often at times threatens can not afford to be wrong about this, and you can't really think expect them to accept fissile material in Iran's hands just because Iran claims they'll give all the best stuff back to Russia, and will only sell the other for peaceful purposes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join