It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Is Considering Facial Recognition For Its Upcoming Smart Glasses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   

During a scheduled companywide meeting, Andrew Bosworth, Facebook’s vice president of augmented and virtual reality, told employees that the company is currently assessing whether or not it has the legal capacity to offer facial recognition on devices that are reportedly set to launch later this year. Nothing had been decided, he said, and he noted that current state laws may make it impossible for Facebook to offer people the ability to search for others based on pictures of their face.

Source

It is one thing to have cameras on the streets and in public areas to assist in 'helping' keep people safe (I don't like it but I understand the purpose) but when you have every single person walking around with the capability to know details about those around them, it just makes my skin crawl. The fact that the company is having an internal discussion about the legality of the whole thing should tell them (and us) everything they need to know about whether this is a smart decision. While not everyone out there is on facebook it certainly makes it so facebook can put everyone in their database, whether they like it or not.

posted on Feb, 26 2021 @ 03:31 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...
Bokhari: Microsoft and Friends Want to Destroy Online Privacy

Microsoft has teamed up with a number of tech and media companies to create a system of tracing content around the internet that could destroy online privacy and anonymity, radically transforming the nature of the web.

According to Microsoft’s press release, it has partnered with several other organizations to form the Coalition for Content Provenance and Authenticity (C2PA).

Put simply, the purpose of this organization is to devise a system whereby all content on the internet can be traced back to its author.

The press release states that it will develop these specifications for “common asset types and formats,” meaning videos, documents, audio, and images.

Whether it’s a meme, an audio remix, or a written article, the goal is to ensure that when content reaches the internet, it will come attached with a set of signals allowing its provenance — meaning authorship — can be detected.

Consider the companies that have signed on to this initiative. Leading the pack is Microsoft, which operates Word, Paint, Notepad, Edge, and the Office Suite. If you create a .doc or a .jpg, a Microsoft service is probably involved in some capacity.

Then there’s Adobe, the company behind Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, and Premiere Pro, as well as several other market-leading applications for publishing photos, videos, and documents.

There’s also Truepic, a company that has developed technology to track the provenance of photos from the very moment they are captured on a smartphone.

Whistleblower: NSA Goal Is 'Total Population Control'

edit on 26-2-2021 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I mean, to combat misinformation, tracing authors and provenance doesn't seem like a bad course of action. But unless it truly is necessary that shouldn't be a map back to people for everyone, just if necessary to contribute to healthy debate. BUT WELCOME TO THE INTERNET where anything logical gets tossed overboard.

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Skooter_NB

Sounds way too Black Mirror for my liking. If you have not seen the episode where life and social standing is based on the number of likes you get (social credit score, anyone?) in their augmented world, I suggest you watch it. Terrifying!!

top topics

join