It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: House Passes Bill to Return Schiavo's Case to Federal Court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The United States House of Representatives passed a bill just moments ago, around 12:45 a.m. Eastern Standard Time, that would force a federal court to review Terry Schiavo's life and death case. Congress cannot directly order for the feeding tube to be reinserted, however, the federal court can make this decision during its review.

www.cnn.com
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- After an unusual and emotional Sunday night debate, the House passed legislation early Monday morning aimed at prolonging the life of Terri Schiavo, whose feeding tube was removed Friday under court order.

The Senate unanimously passed its version of the legislation earlier Sunday.

The bill ordered a federal court to review the case of the Florida woman, who doctors have said is brain-damaged.

Schiavo, now 41, collapsed in 1990 in her home, suffering from heart failure that led to her brain damage.

Courts have ruled that Schiavo is in a "persistent vegetative state." Her husband and guardian, Michael Schiavo, says his wife told him before her illness that she would not want to be kept alive in such a condition. Her parents have been fighting to keep her alive.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I believe that it is not the place of the United States Congress, nor any legislative power, to become involved in this case. It should be a process that takes place in lower courts between Terry's parents and her husband. With Congress passing this bill, it could be argued that hundreds of cases much like Terry Schiavo's should also be taken to these higher levels of government. Our Constitution clearly outlines standards for court proceedings and legislative proceedings, in no way are the two meant to mix.

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
www.msnbc.msn.com
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
What if YOU were Terri Schiavo
Congress Pushes for Federal Review of Schiavo
Terri Schiavo - A Moral Crossroads

[edit on 3/21/2005 by UnMature]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
A Federal Court will be having an emergency hearing on the case of wether to return nutrition and water to Terry Schiavo at 3 P.M. today.

[edit on 3/21/2005 by UnMature]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The two sided sword of American politics

First infant dies in Texas after (then govenor) Bush's 1999 law to allow Hospitals to decide fate.
www.chron.com...

www.capitol.state.tx.us...
Signed in 1999 allowed the baby to be taken off support against parents wishes.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Worldwatcher, it is a two side of the sword, but the agenda is not about the live of death of a woman or a baby, is about bolishing abortion, that's what the agenda is all about.

Going over the supreme court power and making the congress and the president the law makers for our personal and domestic issues.

We are powerless now and our constution will not be able to protect us any more.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
In my opinion we need another JFK like President or leader to bring America back to its glory days...this may sound nastalgic but I miss the old days when things were simplier

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I don't think that the agenda is necessarily get rid of abortion. By extension the most they can do is say 'we protected schiavo, we will protect the unborn', which really isn't saving much. I can only see them possibly being able to say 'we protected the parent's rights by keeping schiavo alive, therefore, if, say, the father doesn't want an abortion, then there can't be one, or if the mother's parents don't want one, then there can't be one', but thats a stretch again, and also the court's not going to decide a no-brainer (pun) like that; obviously her parent's have no say in the matter.

I think that they've merely decided that they look good by 'protecting' the vegetable, not that they can kill abortion by it.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It's a shame that every politician has to make this so complicated, they should just do what the law originally said: it's the legal guardian’s responsibility to make the choice in a case like this. What's even more sad is how some of these people are using this to score some points with the bible thumpers for the next round of elections.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The hearing over the order to replace Terri Schiavo's feeding tube before U.S. District Judge James Whittemore is now over. No ruling has made, nor any indication of when there'd be one.

Stay tuned...

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Update:

A federal udge has refused to order the reinsertion of Terry Schiavo's feeding tube.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
There will be an appeal.

If i still remember my knowledge on the American Justice System

The court of appeals is the highest court in the state right? This case will not go to the Supreme Court correct?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
There is no time. There is no way that the Supreme Court could accept this case, review it, and make a ruling before Schiavo would starve to death.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
There are people going to jail who are trying to sneak food to this woman. For christ's sake, she responds to outside stimuli....this sets the precedent for killing off the elderly in nursing homes, just because their children want their inheritance money.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
The precedent is already there.

Right now in America or any other country, if you can't pay for a hospital bed you will get your life support cut off.

No one made a fuss over that.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
This case is about keeping the United States Congress out of our personal lives.

Hasn't the Patriot Act been a wake up call for everyone?

Regardless of whether the ruling by the federal judge is right or wrong, it is consistent with the constitution, the separation of powers and the law.

Why is this so hard for everyone to see?

Is it now possible for someone making enough noise and possessing enough money and influence to DIRECTLY circumvent the United States Constitution? It's bad enough we have corporations that are capable of manipulating the law, now individuals??????

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I agree that the federal government should stay out of this. However, with regard to all the discussion on the Constitution, actually, the congress does have the power to regulate what cases the Supreme Court hears.

However, I just think there's more important things for the federal government to worry about than feeding tubes and steroids.

new topics

top topics

join