It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daft Punk no more!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Kind of sad news, Daft Punk have parted ways. There were pioneers to some degree. I was super excited to see a new vid on my YT, here it is.

Was a bit disappointing
Well, they last did an album in 2013..this is when I discovered them, knew them, but never appreciated. I bought RAM on a whim, and wow! what an album..audiophile mix and master, lots of real instruments. They are leaving on a high note, although 7 years since new material.

If anyone wants to add old favourites..please do! I don't know a lot of the back catalogue.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Damn. I listened to them when they were back in the day new. “Homewerk” was revolutionary. Never got much into electronic (although I love the Gorillaz), but Daft Punk, Moby, and Fatboy Slim alongside others like Prodigy, really helped dial in some aspects of my musical taste.

Sad news for sure. They were unique

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod
Yeah I was pretty bummed to hear this. I remember hearing them for the first time when I was a teenager back in like 96. They helped to get my friends and I into House and Techno way back then.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Damn. That was a long run. I’ve been listening to them since 1996. Tron was the best, IMO.

Did they elaborate as to why?

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

when I was a teenager back in like 96

Wow that’s some synchronicity. I was 16 at the time.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   
RAM is easily one of the greatest albums ever recorded, a fantastic way to end things for these two music making robots.

Edit: Here's a little gem.

edit on 22-2-2021 by wheresthebody because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

when I was a teenager back in like 96

Wow that’s some synchronicity. I was 16 at the time.

Great minds think alike. The song Teachers off of Homework was like a roadmap to the underground for us. Many of the underground DJ's/producers mentioned in that song were based in Detroit like us. We had no idea at the time how much electronic music was happening in Detroit. Those were some great memories.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 03:53 PM
link   

And where did our music scene funnel back to? Rap. And mostly terrible rap with no fluent beat or harmony.

I miss the electronic days. It seemed we were moving in such a good direction (musically) 20 years ago. Then it just reverted back to sh!t.

Now your most popular song is ‘Lick this wet @ss pu##y’......

Effing disgusting.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Man they've been around since I was a kid.

Sometimes people change, I guess.

edit on 2 22 2021 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: slatesteam
Damn. I listened to them when they were back in the day new. “Homewerk” was revolutionary. Never got much into electronic (although I love the Gorillaz), but Daft Punk, Moby, and Fatboy Slim alongside others like Prodigy, really helped dial in some aspects of my musical taste.

Sad news for sure. They were unique

I was more a heavy guitar music kind of guy, but saw the record, and I had just got back into vinyl, thought what the hell. Great buy, glad I took the chance, I do appreciate electronic music now, RAM was a good mix of electronics and traditional.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManSizedSquirrel
Yeah I was pretty bummed to hear this. I remember hearing them for the first time when I was a teenager back in like 96. They helped to get my friends and I into House and Techno way back then.

I was pretty excited to see a new vid this morn, a bit of a let down, but they left a mark

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Damn. That was a long run. I’ve been listening to them since 1996. Tron was the best, IMO.

Did they elaborate as to why?

Thats right Tron!! thanks for the reminder, I will dig that record out tonight

No word on why.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
RAM is easily one of the greatest albums ever recorded, a fantastic way to end things for these two music making robots.

Edit: Here's a little gem.

It really is, on pretty much every audiophile albums list..I never appreciated disco when I was younger, this album opened up my eyes/ears to some of the great production in those albums.

edit on 22-2-2021 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Yes, people change, situations change, no idea why they called it a day, but thankful for what they gave us.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Man, major bummer.

I liked the head-bobbing scene from Tron.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Yes, people change, situations change, no idea why they called it a day, but thankful for what they gave us.

The video was telling but cryptic. One of them kept going. The other had no desire and slowly slagged behind. The slow slag personified that it’s been a long time coming - he lost his desire to continue, over time.

Interesting how he exploded 3 times. It was like them saying they were done for good. Yet, still close enough to make the video.
edit on 22-2-2021 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

The video was telling but cryptic. One of them kept going. The other had no desire and slowly slagged behind. The slow slag personified that it’s been a long time coming - he lost his desire to continue, over time.

Interesting how he exploded 3 times. It was like them saying they were done for good. Yet, still close enough to make the video.

I kinda had the same thought as I watched it, why is one forging ahead?(did not know it was over till the end) I agree it's cryptic. It has been 7 years since RAM..hard to top that one! Partnerships can be tough, but I have to think it's an amicable split..really though, the vid could be made without either artist..hmm

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7
It is! I was excited to click the vid this morn, after a minute or two in..uh oh, whats going on?

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I was working as the Regional Entertainment Manager for a chain of Restaurant/Lounge/Bar's and had a music subscription that allowed us to get 12" Promos and Demos. I would review/listen to them and decide whether they fit our particular listening/dancing theme.

One day got this record with a group called Daft Punk, (which I had heard of but not really paid any attention), Song was called "Around the World" and from then on I was sort of hooked on the unique hooks , loops, samples and digital instruments. I knew these guys were going to go places. Then saw the video and thought that it was unlike anything else out there.

Sad that they are retiring (from this incarnation), but I bet they both will be still doing creative backing/producing in some way.

RIP

edit on 2/22/2021 by JohnnyAnonymous because: tiny tiny typos

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous
Nice!

I wonder too..what next, I'm sure whatever they individually may do, or projects they may work on..they will be quality!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join