It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if YOU were Terri Schiavo

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
From reading a few of the umpteen sites devoted to Terri, I gathered that she can't even consistently control the direction her eyes move, much less use a computer!

I agree with Gaz.....this move by congress may well have frightening repercussions for many others.

My Mother is in a nursing home. For the first three years of her stay there was a lady across the hall who was on a feeding tube. When she was not asleep, she cried constantly.....a loud keening whine of a cry ( her only method of communication )......you could literally feel the pain.

Her life was a constant battle with painful bedsores, contracted tendons, infections, etc. No matter how often she was changed, bathed etc.....she could not be comforted. It was not a joyous existence....I could only imagine that hunger would have been a small discomfort compared to her daily misery. ( Was it God's will that she be kept alive like that??)

If it comes down to that, I'll never insist on keeping Mom around a few more years.....like that....and I pray no one will be able to make me do that to her!!

People ( congressmen ) who want to make this a 'right to life' issue should get out and volunteer some time in nursing homes and hospices.....there are plenty of folks out there who could use some of this extra attention, and a shortage of workers in the field to give it to them. Some of these people need to get off the political band wagon and 'put their money where their mouth is'!

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
excellent post fray You are absolutely right Ray. That poor woman across the hall from you mom, what a nightmare of an existence. People don't know the hellish existences people like that.

Not to scare you, but you should get your mom a living will while she still is capable. It would be a shame to have to live that nightmare.

loved the "put your money where your mouth is"

[edit on 21-3-2005 by MauiStacey]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MauiStacey
The enite situation his heart wrenching.

But not only for the reasons most have said.
This is a private matter and it has been made into a three ring circus. I blame her family for that.
I think it's abominable that her life is on display like this.
~~~~~~~
If I were she, I'd want to leave this earth for a place I know is better.....
.......and make d--- sure none of those "considerate" relatives got a dime from my estate.
I'd leave it all to the ASPCA or some fund to promote dignity in dying.
~~~~~~~~~
Apparently, there was enough testimony in courts to assure judges that her wishes were not to "live" in her current condition.
As far as her smiling and making noises, heck my dog smiles. A turtle will follow movement. I'm not trying to make ugly remarks about the poor woman, only to mention that her reactions may be just that, reactions to stimuli.
If that is her brain scan, not much thought processing is going on.
~~~~~~~~~
Lastly, I just abhor what the federal government is doing to our Constitution. As if they haven't damaged it enough already.
This was not their business

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
you are correct on all your statements. The entire ordeal is a nightmare and a travesty
btw, love your avatar

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The religious right wants the government to invade a private family decision.

You don't like the man Terri chose to marry? She thought he was good enough.

She is now a vegetable.

I am so untouched by this.

An Innocent man was wrongly deprived of his life by the state in Oklahoma, protesting his innocence.

some people seem to want the state to run everything in everyone's personal life and the state should also be freely given the right to kill innocent people without any consquence. This includes some on the far left as well as far right.

Get the state out of personal lives and decisions and call it to the mat when it makes egregious mistakes.

The US doesn't have the time or resources pandering to the moral interceding right or socially interceding left.

Grow up. Be an adult. Be a libertarian.

lay claim to your own existence.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MauiStacey
I really like your Avatar DrBryan.

You are wise to have a living will stating your wishes. I have one too.

I would never ever want to be in bed unable to attend to a single need I had. Poor thing.

Thank you on both counts , Jak created my avatar if you get ahold of Jak you might get one to........As to the living will , I think the main thing everyone should remember is once they make it to check it atleast once a year for accuracy as well.....

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by drbryankkruta
As to the living will , I think the main thing everyone should remember is once they make it to check it atleast once a year for accuracy as well.....

Yes, and make sure that your lawyer didn't accidently change it so that he inherits everything.

-----

But seriousely, back to this case. You all do realise that this is one of those "only in America things". I mean, even our religious right (Australia) isn't really extreme, our's actually support abortion in medical emergencies for example.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It's positively amazing how many times I see the word "I" when I'm reading this thread...Shows how much of a self-centered society we live in...

Fact is, none of us are her, and none of us were married to him, and none of us (including the judge) has ever seen her in person.

Sure, I would not want my body to go on living after the brain is gone, that's why I am building a living will at this time.

She didn't have a living will. Period. Legally, the judge has acsertained that heresay( watching a movie on TV at age 25, and commenting on it), is tantamount to a starvation request. Nothing anyone can do will change that decision, even though I disagree about it. The Courts have final say...THEY have all the power.

On an aside, yesterday, I told my wife to talk to her brother. He and his wife are seperated, but have not begun divorce preceedings.

Legally, if anything should happen to him, SHE has power of attortney over him and all of his estate, not my in-laws. She could, technically, starve my borther-in-law to death out of spite, if she could back it up legally.

Long and short of it...The legal system of the western world is so out of whack that things may be legal, even if they make absolutely no sense. that's something every good conspiracist knows....

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
One thing for sure, the lawyers are going to benefit out of this. Don't ask "What would you want if you were Terri S?", but ask "Are you going to go without a living will now?" I can imagine them using "Living Wills" in their ads already.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join